It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

happy coptic millenium

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
many of you won't know this but today is the third millenium of the coptic christian calendar.

the 13 month calendar was originally set up by the egyptians during ptolemy iii's reign but julius caeser amended it in 46bc.

i'm sure some of you can spin a few conspiracies theories around it and today's date

more info

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Wouldn't the "coptic millenium" be 12Sep07, due to the fact that next Febuary is leap year?
I'm so confused- It's all greek to me.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by cbianchi513

wikipedia says....

The Feast of Neyrouz marks the first day of the Coptic year. Its celebration falls on the 1st day of the month of Thout, the first month of the Coptic year, which for AD 1901 to 2098 usually coincides with 11 September, except before a Gregorian leap year when it is September 12. Coptic years are counted from AD 284, the year Diocletian became Roman Emperor, whose reign was marked by tortures and mass executions of Christians, especially in Egypt.

Every fourth Coptic year is a leap year without exception, as in the Julian calendar, so the above mentioned new year dates apply only between AD 1900 and 2099 inclusive in the Gregorian Calendar. In the Julian Calendar, the new year is always 29 August, except before a Julian leap year when it's August 30. Easter is reckoned by the Julian Calendar in the Old Calendarist way.

don't ask me to work it out though as i'm terrible with numbers and have to check everything 3 times to be sure i did it right

join