It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Possibility of Canadian Secret Facility.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
(i took this from an urban exploration forum i am part of, no plagarism suggestions, please!)

I'm sure most of you have heard of the town of Kitimat, BC, and therefore know about the giant aluminum smelter- run by Alcan- that's located there. The slightly more clever amongst you will also know about the gigantic hydro project undertaken in the 1950's to supply massive amounts of electricity to the smelter. Alcan basically reversed a river, which feeds through diversion tunnels to run eight massive generators- located inside a mountain at a place called Kemano. Here's some information from Alcan about its Kemano Generating Station and a handy Map to show where all this stuff is.

Now, the to the point. Quoted from Wikipedia's Alcan article:
"In the late 1980s, the company began work on Kemano Completion Project which would have doubled the generating capacity of the reservoir system. The Provincial Government of the day called a halt to the project for a variety of reasons, Alcan had already bored a second tunnel through the mountain and extended the generating station within the mountain. With an investment of over 500 million in the project, the company and government went to court. Alcan eventually settled with the government by signing the 1997 KCP agreement."

My Question to everyone is: What became of Kemano II?
What's left? There was at least one tunnel dug (using a TBM, no less!), and excavation of the powerhouse and other tunnels was well underway.
Is it explorable? What's the access like? It's true that the entrances may be sealed up, but I can't see them collapsing anything built because everything was so close to their existing operations.

This image was taken during the construction of the underground powerhouse, to give an example of how damn huge this place is:

Now to the point. Alcan sealed up this place before it was finished, and it summarily dropped off the map. As you can see, no small amount of money nor effort was put into the construction of it. As part of their deal with the canadian government, the above-ground parts of the Kimano operation were enviromentally reclaimed, and as such it appears no different from a wilderness area now, Above ground.

Given this places massive size, the nearby MASSIVE generating capabilites of the existing Kimano project, the fact that the government was involved in the halting of this, the fact that no one has heard tell of the project since then, i suggest that this may be, in fact, the first hard evidence of BC hosting a large secret facility of some sort.

I mean, look at images of the place! It was massive! Are you telling me they dug most of a mountain out and have just let it sit there empty and unsupported for over a decade, with their main generating station in the same mountain?

Opinions, please.

[edit on 28-8-2007 by D.E.M.]

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Really no interest? I thought it was concise enough to garner at least a few enlightened opinions on the possibility. I guess the only threads worth hundreds of pages are the ones that are proven hoaxes *glares at the STILL living Haiti thread* >_>

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.
Really no interest? I thought it was concise enough to garner at least a few enlightened opinions on the possibility. I guess the only threads worth hundreds of pages are the ones that are proven hoaxes *glares at the STILL living Haiti thread* >_>

no, no its definetely interesting and worth a look. anything that is remote, massive and never heard of again is a candidate for secret operations. but what do you expect us ATS-posters to do about it? maybe we`ll find someone from the area to drive out there and check it out.

join