It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moose=SUV What about the buffalo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   
This is from a true American point of view, so others in different parts of the world may have a hard time understanding this unless you know American western history.

I saw this article about the emissions of moose:

www.timesonline.co.uk...

So now I wonder... Our ancestors did the right thing in killing off millions of buffalo. We would be a flooded nation from rising sea levels and global warming would have came years earlier. I would further venture to guess that with the harmful gas, that millions of buffalo would have produced, that there may be more than a couple of members of this site; that would not have been born due to adverse weather conditions.

It's hard to think that our ancestors, who traversed the west in wagons or on horses, were such environmentalists that had the forethought of future generations in mind. The world owes them a deep gratitude from their actions.

It puts everything in a different light, doesn't it.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Without doubt organisms have changed the earth and its climate, however, these species would have grown and developed gradually over time. So, buffalo farts and belches would have just been part of the carbon cycle.

I s'pose you could argue that removing them has given us room in the carbon cycle to fill with our emissions. But I doubt that was at the forefront of the hunter's minds.

For the moose, I guess with a choice between twiggy branches and sweet berries, who can blame them, heh.

Maybe we could send them bags of twiglets, looks similar to their normal food, a bit tastier, and just as lacking in nutrition as a branch.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
“Moose normally eat branches in the winter, a not particularly nutritious diet,” said Erling Solberg, of the Norwegian Institute for Nature Research. “But since snow has become so much rarer they have access to wild blueberries.”

So... Why is snow getting rarer?

To me this is sort of like the "milk has more carcinogens than cigarettes" theory...

new topics

join