It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible NSA wiretap.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Hello all. Long time reader, havent posted in a while, but i need some help. Recently, someone in my family has been indicted for federal accusations which would most likely lead to a tap of his internet. He was complaining about the amount of lag on his network so i was assisting him to re-configure it and such. I was looking at the other networks around my area. At the very end of the list, plain and day, it said "NSA Wiretap Switch #00----" the dashes indictate the forgotten letters i was not able to write down in time, i knew it was going to dissapear quickly and it did =/. I know for sure it started with 00 .

Some other networks that might be linked with it are "2WIRE828" , "2WIRE927". Or it just might be a coincidence who knows.

I know if the NSA was in fact tapping it, they wouldnt use such an obvious network name. But who knows, they might of realized the mistake and took it off the wireless broadcast quickly. Which is what happened.

Anybody ever run into something like this?
Should he be worried for his privacy?
What kind of steps can he do to insure his privacy against wiretaps,internet taps, bugs, ect?

I will be checking this thread very frequently, thanks in advanced !

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
NSA doesn't have jurisdiction to tap US civilians, at least not without an EO. Are you a foreign national, or does your family member send communications to foreign nationals as a facet of this indictment? If not, the jurisdictional agency would be the FBI.

Also, they wouldn't need to tap your network locally, they'd get your ISP to relay a copy of the traffic to them, that's what CALEA is all about.

At any rate, when I'm wardriving (yes I have bad hobbies) my laptop shows up on the network as either "IRS Audit Unit 993" or "Comcast Illegal Home Router Detection Group" or somesuch in order to confuse any user who might be looking.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Ahh i see, you couldnt of said it any better. Although he is infact being indicted by the FBI, not the NSA. He has nothing to do with foreign communications, so thats out.

It definitely makes sense about the wardriving, nice hobbie by the way haha =]

What are the odds of him buying a auto transmitter detector, and sweeping his house and finding something? The FBI most likely has devices that cant even be detected right, would it be pointless?

[edit: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post]
Quoting - Please review this link

[edit on 22-8-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Pointless. If there is an interception happening on someone's phones or computer, they won't ever know about it.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Let me get this straight. You have a friend being indited by the FBI and want help trying to interfere with a fed. investigation.
Without knowing what your friend is up for I'm wondering why you want to be involved in the first place but I'm definitely not giving advice to help a pedophile or something sorry

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by comedy
Hello all. Long time reader, havent posted in a while, but i need some help.

haven't posted in a while? since you registered all those hours ago?

Recently, someone in my family has been indicted for federal accusations which would most likely lead to a tap of his internet. He was complaining about the amount of lag on his network so i was assisting him to re-configure it and such.

what you are doing might possibly be obstruction of justice or aiding and abetting. Might want to rethink what you are doing there.

I know if the NSA was in fact tapping it, they wouldnt use such an obvious network name. But who knows, they might of realized the mistake and took it off the wireless broadcast quickly. Which is what happened.

If the NSA, or any other group, was tapping in to your connection, they would do it brazenly, not caring about your knowledge of the peeping, or they would do it clandestinely and they wouldn't have the need to quickly change the mistake they made. I'm guessing the latter would be the case and you'd never know they were there.

Anybody ever run into something like this?
Should he be worried for his privacy?
What kind of steps can he do to insure his privacy against wiretaps,internet taps, bugs, ect?

Worry about the crimes you might be committing by assisting him in covering his tracks.

Lastly, I would suggest you not ask the members of this site to assist you in foiling a federal investigation as that would be asking them to break the law and that is against our Terms and Conditions.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by comedy

I think the "NSA Wiretap #xxx" you saw was probably a wardriver, given the nature of the name and the brief period of time it was present.

As for the other, I could make guesses about what you're seeing from your brief description but as Crakeur says, telling you how to fix it or sweep your premises with the intent of hindering an ongoing investigation is probably unlawful.

Now for the bad news - if they've issued an indictment, they are convinced that they've already got the evidence they need to convict. It's too late now, anyway.

Any surveillance they're doing at this point is for something else entirely. Crakeur, is it legit to discuss common surveillance procedures?

[edit on 22-8-2007 by Tom Bedlam]

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Bedlam
Crakeur, is it legit to discuss common surveillance procedures?

if the surveillance procedures don't involve a discussion on illegal methods (stalking, breaking and entering etc) and they don't break the T&C, sure but they should pertain to the topic at hand. If they don't, start another thread so that this guy's story doesn't get turned into a chat about how else you might find yourself being watched.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Hokay. Comedy, they've got all the goods on your family member before they issue the indictment.

The next part of the surveillance, if it's still ongoing, is to surprise your family member with the indictment and then watch carefully to see who he contacts. A lot of people will immediately contact other people (if any) who are involved.

The post-indictment surveillance period is to catch anyone they're not aware of, or to get new evidence on other co-conspirators which may not yet have come to light. They bank on the panic that happens immediately after the indictments hit.

top topics

join