It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG Check out this fish!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I reaooy didn't expect to put this on ATS until i saw the picture of this fish. It has to be one of the strangest living things i've ever seen! I wont ruin anything.. check out this link!

fish

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 03:16 AM
link   
That's an amazing story. Too bad the world can't spend more money on science research and less money on bombs.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   

"It is a fish which has legs -- it should be given back to the water. It will bring us misfortune," he told him. But the unsuperstitious Lahama decided to keep it.

A fish with legs? Now that's interesting. Considering this species has been around for over 360 million years, it probably used those legs quite often, perhaps on beaches or something?

[edit on 29/7/2007 by nickh]

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Hey Hikix! I've seen pics of this fish before.UUUGGGLLLYYY!That kind of thing should've stayed EXTINCT! Really makes you wonder what's still lurking down there doesn't it?

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Hmmm, weren't those fish found in 1938? They've been caught on camera a lot of times. And I don't see any legs?O_o

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
........ It has to be one of the strangest living things I've ever seen! I wont ruin anything.. check out this link!

It is COELACANTH! The living fossils. A fish that was thought extincted ages ago. They found fossils of this fish which shows this fish lived millions years ago.

But somehow, a diver or few divers saw the fish in African seas decades ago. It means the fish is still here in this WORLD! that's why it is called living fossil.

And few years ago, they found the fish in Manado, Indonesia. The fisherman caught and tried to sell the dead fish on the market, the fish stunk like hell.
An English ( or other western country ) university student who was on holiday ( or field trip ) in Manado heard the story and went to the market and then sent messages back to his/her country requesting an expert team to come to Indonesia immediately.

Coelacanth has been found many times in Indonesia, on one occasion ( or the same occasion as above ), once they heard the news about stinking fish in the market, they rushed to the market, but the fish was gone. A rumor said that a Japanese team had bought it for at least $250,000.

The fish is not ugly, it is beautiful. Unfortunately there is none alive we can witness nowadays. Perhaps it has been kept in some private aquariums.

It's been shown in Hollywood animation movie "Atlantis, the lost word", kept in aquarium in the professor's library. ( the Kid's grandfather? ).

Now the question is how the rarest fish found in African sea could also be found in Indonesia?
Could the theory of deep sea tunnel theory be true? Is that how the fish swim a short cut from Africa to Indonesia?

Let's the mistery being mistery. If anyone find the fish again, please don't bring it back to your country. Let it live where it belongs. Let the nature tells.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Hey Hikix! I've seen pics of this fish before.UUUGGGLLLYYY!That kind of thing should've stayed EXTINCT! Really makes you wonder what's still lurking down there doesn't it?

There are things in the deepest depths of the ocean that we can't even imagine...

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Originally posted by AccessDenied

There are things in the deepest depths of the ocean that we can't even imagine...

I don't even want to go there......

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Hey look! Something different. Lets kill it, inspect it, and put it in a museum.

Let's not preserve a rare historic species that was minding its own business

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeThinkerIdealist
Hey look! Something different. Lets kill it, inspect it, and put it in a museum.

Let's not preserve a rare historic species that was minding its own business

Typically when this fish is caught, it's caught by fishermen who are trying to make money to LIVE. I find it highly unlikely that this species is being purposely hunted by third-world fishermen in canoes. If you were fishing so that you could eat that night, would you throw that one back? Even if (as is likely in this case) you had no idea that it was what it was? The ACCIDENTAL catching of this fish is an enormous find in the marine biology community among others, why not take it for what it is instead of making much ado about nothing?

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 05:31 AM
link   
These fish have been caught off south africa (i think) only a few years ago.
When I heard about this one being caught I did some research on them and there not as rare as people make them sound it was just the fact people thought the species to be long gone.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Oh yeah! I watched some movies called Blue Planet by Attenborough and there were sea life in the abyss of the ocean that were beyond my comprehension (I had never seen anything like it) Just fantastic. So fantastic in fact, I went out and bought the series.

Special Features/Contents Listing
The Abyss, a chilling expose including rare footage of amazing deep sea life
Amazon Abyss, where we meet primitive dolphins, giant black piranha and massive electric knife fish

Blue Planet

[edit on 30-7-2007 by NJE777]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrRobarto
These fish have been caught off south africa (i think) only a few years ago.
When I heard about this one being caught I did some research on them and there not as rare as people make them sound it was just the fact people thought the species to be long gone.

True, the first one found "alive" was in 1938 of the South African coast line near East London. There have been many more found since in dives etc in actual searches for them.

Source

Following the discovery, in 1938, of a coelacanth off East London, coelacanths have been found elsewhere in the western Indian Ocean, mainly off the Comoros. In 2000 a population was discovered off South Africa when divers came across several individuals at a depth of about 105m. This population was immediately protected, and ACEP embarked in a study of the colony in the submarine canyons of the Greater St. Lucia Wetlands Park. Fortuitously these creatures were already being protected in the park and to date 18 coelacanths have been identified off South Africa – the world’s second-largest population.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Hmm it has a lot of Similarities to a Rock Ling, I used to catch these quite often of the victorian cost line, good fighting big fish cross between an eel and a fish.

join