It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Wirelessly Powered Lightbulb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Here is a piece of the article:

It uses a remarkably simple setup basically consisting of only two metal coils.

Researchers at MIT have shown that it's possible to wirelessly power a 60-watt lightbulb sitting about two meters away from a power source. Using a remarkably simple setup. The experiment paves the way for wirelessly charging batteries in laptops, mobile phones, and music players, as well as cutting the electric cords on household appliances, says Marin Soljačić, professor of physics at MIT, who led the team with physics professor John Joannopoulos.

To read the rest of the article visit:

www.technologyreview.com...

mod edit to use "ex" tags
Quote Reference.

[edit on 22-7-2007 by sanctum]

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I really can't stand MIT announcements these days. Whats next? Are the "geniuses" at MIT going to show that that have mastered a way to recored the human voice on vinyl?

For those of you who don't know, Tesla developed wireless powered lights that were frequency selective. So you could turn some on by transmitting at one frequency then turn a different group on with a different frequency. He did all this, almost a hundred years ago, because it is OBVIOUS to anyone with about 0.5 years of electrical engineering under their belt.

This just in...
MIT scientists create a 'wheel'
"The past is now!" states one over-funded professor.

Then again, I wouldn't expect any real science out of the largest intelligence community recruiting tool ever established.

Jon

[edit on 7.21.2007 by Voxel]

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
In case you forgot....MIT created the internet your communicating through. So trying to SLAM DUNK MIT's achievements just shows your arrogance...O yeah I forgot your a 0.5 year Electrical Engineering student with experience under your belt!

Plus you state: Then again, I wouldn't expect any real science out of the largest intelligence community recruiting tool ever established.

Umm aren't they the largest intelligence community recruiting tool ever established because of the science that has come out of there....

[edit on 21-7-2007 by Trinity2492]

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
lol i think tesla developed that too, im serious i remember reading something in the past that there was a way to have internet and that one person developed it i think it was Tesla...i will try to find it.

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Here you go: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Anyways this thread was made to enlighten those of you with the info that the technology is being developed and has the potential to be marketed. And yes I know Tesla was working on this back in his day and guess what...I am not even an Electrical Engineering major.

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trinity2492
In case you forgot....MIT created the internet your communicating through. So trying to SLAM DUNK MIT's achievements just shows your arrogance...O yeah I forgot your a 0.5 year Electrical Engineering student with experience under your belt!

In case you didn't notice, I was berating MIT's recent announcements relating to pretty much everything. I don't consider the inter-web-net-bunch-of-pipes to be all that recent. As to the other part, instead of trying to insult me why don't you just go ask a student in EE how to transmit power sans wires. The answer is, "Its easy but the FCC would come down on you in a heartbeat."

Umm aren't they the largest intelligence community recruiting tool ever established because of the science that has come out of there....

It isn't the quality or level of excellence of the science that MIT develops that marks them as a potent playground for recruitment into various intelligence organs of the US government. It is because they focus on robotic vision, supercomputers, high speed and secure communication, artificial intelligence, and, most tellingly, complex autonomous systems research. Not exactly the stuff that is going to help humanity-as-a-whole anytime soon but it is exactly the kind of talent you need to maintain a technologically superior army and intelligence gathering community.

Jon

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
What the hell?!? This is already invented... 100 years ago??...

I have been waiting forever for this to be invented only to find out it already has.... why do we still need wires, I thought when this was invented it would change everything.

I'm guessing it's dangerous or something... If not, I better not see another corded product released as of now.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Plus you state: Then again, I wouldn't expect any real science out of the largest intelligence community recruiting tool ever established.

You got it all wrong, your just dumber than a light bulb.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Omg you people really need to read more before you make comments...This article was made to inform you that the technology is almost to it's marketing stage.

Definition of marketing for those of you who dont know: Sold to the average consumer.

[edit on 22-7-2007 by Trinity2492]

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bumr055
I have been waiting forever for this to be invented only to find out it already has.... why do we still need wires, I thought when this was invented it would change everything.

J.P. Morgan (of course sponsored by the Rotschild's) asked Tesla 100 years ago: "Where can I put the meter?" Tesla had no answer. That simple little question determined the whole outcome of the 20th century.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The significance of the marketing stage is exactly that, MARKETING. The internet was created back in the 70's, but was not marketed for another few decades. This is very significant. Thanks for the post!

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voxel
It isn't the quality or level of excellence of the science that MIT develops that marks them as a potent playground for recruitment into various intelligence organs of the US government. It is because they focus on robotic vision, supercomputers, high speed and secure communication, artificial intelligence, and, most tellingly, complex autonomous systems research. Not exactly the stuff that is going to help humanity-as-a-whole anytime soon but it is exactly the kind of talent you need to maintain a technologically superior army and intelligence gathering community.

Yes, computers haven't helped humanity at all.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
So I wonder if they could remotely charge electric vehicles....hmmm

Just drive into a charged spot, park for a few and juice it right up, no wires, no fuss.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
"Where can I put the meter?" Tesla had no answer. That simple little question determined the whole outcome of the 20th century.

en.wikipedia.org...

This is exactly right and still the issue today along with the FCC complaint regarding "EMT Radiation" into the licensed spectrum.

In layman's terms, with Tesla's equipment there was no feasible way to regulate and monitor the amount of current being discharged to power the wireless devices. And by doing so you create "static" on other channels which people paid big money to the FCC to call their own.

Cell Phone operators, Radio stations, Cable operators etc would/could all be affected by the wireless power transmission.

Requiring HUGE amounts to basically reinvent the entire "Radio/spectrum" infrastructure that use radio waves for reception. As well as every device that was using the old system.

Had they taken Tesla's idea to the next level you could have a cell phone that had no internal battery that needed to be charged, only a static micro cell battery to keep time or volatile handset specific data that may need to be stored temporarily if off the grid.

They could have designed the same signal/hardware to receive power and data at the same time, using a spread spectrum or some type of bit package in the signal.

By doing this you could flood the air with a specific signal and make every tv turn on and change to a specific channel (some standardized instruction would have to be included by each manufacture) but the idea would be feasible.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The products have been almost to thier marketing stage ever since the first couple people died or exposure to such out put.

Even if they did come up with the way to do such things ... It would be the same as Digital and Analog service. Analog service is outlawed .. as of a certain date in the very near future. Hmmmm .. I wonder why this is ... ??? If it was because of such things as It causes cancer or something would they even be able to release that information ???

Would we even stop using it anyways ?

Omg you people really need to read more before you make comments...This article was made to inform you that the technology is almost to it's marketing stage.

Definition of marketing for those of you who dont know: Sold to the average consumer.

[edit on 22-7-2007 by Trinity2492]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
J.P. Morgan (of course sponsored by the Rotschild's) asked Tesla 100 years ago: "Where can I put the meter?" Tesla had no answer. That simple little question determined the whole outcome of the 20th century.

en.wikipedia.org...

While true, I doubt that it had as great an impact as you're implying. Wires are still very efficient for transferring energy over long distances, while this wireless transfer works wellf ro shrot distances. Since people didn't have as many appliances and gizmos 100 years ago, getting power for lighting and machinery over long distances was much more important, and it quite likely wires would have been used anyway.

Not to mention that there's the obviosu problem JP Morgan pointed out- If you can't charge the people for the electricity, how do you intend to pay for generating it?

new topics

top topics

join