It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Search Is On For Gigantopithecus in Michigan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I had never heard this name for Bigfoot before so I just had to put it in the title of the thread.

That aside, an expedition is setting out in an area of Michigan to find evidence of the Sasquatch. Apparently they've had some success in the past.

MANISTIQUE, Michigan (AP) -- Researchers will visit Michigan's Upper Peninsula next month to search for evidence of the legendary creature known as "Bigfoot" or "Sasquatch."

The expedition will focus on eastern Marquette County, said Matthew Moneymaker of the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization.

"We'll be looking for evidence supporting a presence. ... We hope to meet local people who might have seen a Sasquatch or heard of someone else who had an encounter," Moneymaker told the Daily Press of Escanaba.

www.cnn.com...

I'll see if I can find any more info on this, it should be interesting to follow.

EDIT: I grabbed a link for their web page for everyone to check out.

www.bfro.net...

[edit on 28/6/2007 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Sounds interesting. If you have not heard that gigantopithecus as a name for bigfoot, it isin't. Gigantopithecus is/was a prehistoric ape. It does bear an odd resemblance to bigfoot, though. Maybe...

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
A little something from National Geographic that is really interesting.

Giant Asian Ape and Humans Coexisted, Might Have Interacted

The beast weighed nearly half a ton (500 kilograms), making it more than twice the size of the largest modern ape, Ciochon estimates.

"Clearly it was dramatically bigger than a gorilla," he said. But, like a gorilla, it presumably walked on all fours.

Researchers have wondered whether Gigantopithecus shared a 10-million-year-old ancestor with Asia's only modern great ape, the orangutan.

The extinct giant ape's teeth share many structural traits with those of the purported ancestor, Sivapithecus, indicating that the two species are closely related.

But recent x-rays allowed Ciochon and his colleagues in Germany to peer inside the Gigantopithecus teeth. The scientists concluded that orangutans' teeth aren't similar to the other species, suggesting that the modern primates evolved from a different branch of the ape family, Ciochon says.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

The whole story is well worth a read, and the picture of a re-created Gigantopithecus is exactly what I think of when I think of Bigfoot.

Here's the picture from the National Geographic link I posted above:

Perhaps this is the ancient bloodline that produced the modern day creature we all hope to find and document.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Hey, thanks for that great story. It would make sense to me that they would have co-existed and were seen by humans.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Escanaba? Den dey is lookin' fer da bearwalk, ainnit da trooth?

Mebbe dey see God, up on da ridge, eh?

join