It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kojima may be getting at something

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Mayne of you have probably heard of the Metal Gear Solid series. And many of you have probably played it. If you have, then no doubt you'd know about The Patriots. If you haven't, then let me inform you..

The Patriots started out as the American branch of The Philosophers, an international group. They, The Patriots, have complete control over America. They stage all the elections, regulate what's on your television, and even have a hand in what people do. Because they control the media, they also (in part) control things such as your interests and the like. You don't know if that friend of yours who recently became a senator is actually working for The Patriots. That sort of thing... at least in the MGS series...

...but the point is, how can we tell if an organization like this really exists? If it did, the first thought I had was that they'd not let the MGS series come out.. but then again, if they do, they know that hardly anyone is going to believe it and that would make them even safer than before....

Seriously, is it possible that such an organization really IS in control of the US? That democracy is just something to fill textbooks?

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Or because there are so many secret societies, and "The Patriots" could represent any one of them, their depiction therefore isn't especially incriminating.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Sorry but I hated MGS2 so I am not sure If I can discuss this without picturing Raiden in my head but seriously Hideo Kojima is a visionary person the likes of which only come a long every so often. I would liken him to the Spielberg of video games.

I wouldn't doubt that with in his plot for the MGS series there is a kernel of truth...

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Heh, I'm starting to hate MGS2 as well. I'm thinking Kojima just got lazy and did the whole Solid Snake Simulation thing as a justification for the majority of the plant chapter resembling MGS1. And Raiden acts like a kid. He must be insane to still want to be with Rose, man...
Anyway, back on topic..

Jones, I was wondering if there were a secret society in complete control of the US, or any country. Not if The Patriots represented any one of them. I mean, chances are The Patriots came out of Hideo's imagination, but the fact that an orginization like this may just exist......

(And yes, MGS2 was just plain "WTF PLOT TWIST". Though, the stuff that the AI colonel tells you IS good for some philosophical thinking...but that's another story, so I'll leave it out.)

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
One thing I do know for sure is that someone is controlling society...one thing I don't know is who and how. MGS 2 was such a great game I know that once I finished playing I looked at the world completely different.

[edit on 6/21/07 by Kamikaze X]

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
How does one defeat an enemy like The Patriots? I mean, who knows how much of your actions they have control of. (This is LiquidTheBrit, with another account since my old one hates me now)

Having a spy within the Patriots is risky, since chances are they're really Patriot lackeys.

Maybe there simply is no way of proving who or what is controlling society?

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
OK, so what does it mean to say society is being controlled and why is this thesis persuasive?

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Ok.. in MGS2, if you didn't hear the end of it.. it says that "The Patriots" died over a hundred years ago. Now, if they really were in complete control, how would it be possible? I'm not really sure of how they'd be able to pull it off IF they were still alive or if they ever even existed. Kojima has put many things in MGS games that were supposed to be goverment secrets such as human cloning mentioned in MGS 1. But that does not give existance that "The Patriots" ever did really exist. now does it?

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 01:58 AM
link   
All will be revealed in MGS4, great series, shame it has to end.
But at least he can go on and make a different but just as great game.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
LiquidTheBrit, I know what you mean. Hideo must be clued in on what's going on, as in he must read what we read, unless he's the son of Lucifer.

This link below takes you to the latest trailer of MGS4.

Gotta love the line,

"War is to the 21st century what oil was to the 20th. The pillar that supports the global economy"

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Metal Gear Stupid.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
The more I think about it, the more it seems like 'The Patriots' are an abstract way of explaining corporate corruption.

In which case, Kojima hit the nail on the head there.

Also, MGS4 looks totally awesome.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I have no doubt that there are people controlling America to an inordinate degree. However, whether or not they are aware of the power they have is something to be argued. For example, the congressional intern in charge of proofreading the yearly budget for possible grammatical errors spills-white out on it and eliminates the border patrol budget. A few weeks later, illegal immigration spikes to an all time high. Chances are, this poor clerk will see the figures on TV and say 'Someone ought to do something about that.' (In my experience, people generally don't feel they have much influence on the world around them, and therefore pass off large scale things they may have caused to 'bad luck' or 'someone-elses-problem'.) Of course this is only a theory, but I think it accurately reflects the beureaucratic world we all live in.

top topics

join