It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Hanger at A51

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 12:20 AM
link   

News Hanger Photo

A huge new hangar is currently under construction at Area 51. It is about 1.5 to 2 times the size of Hangar 18, which was the largest hangar at Area 51 until now.

The new hangar is located SE of the South Ramp, near the north end of Rwy 12/30. The sides have not been finished, but a large hangar door opening can be seen on the side facing the flight line. A large mound of dirt blocks the view at the lower part of the hangar from Tikaboo. This may be related to the construction, or to keep curious hikers from seeing the construction area. The estimated size is 200x500ft, 100f. tall.

The attached photo was taken yesterday morning (June 10, 2007) from Tikaboo Peak, when our group, CJ, Dan and myself discovered the new hangar.

Another, smaller new building is just east of the PE building. It may be an extension of the existing building. Stay tuned for more details.

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page): AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts or simple "I agree" posts when replying to threads. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sites that supports the thread; please post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item as it relates to the thread.

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 12/6/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   
This new building at Groom Lake (Hangar 25) appears to be similar in size and configuration to Hangar 1600 at Edwards. It can easily accomodate a large number of aircraft.

Maybe, now, people will stop saying "Area 51 is closed," or that there is nothing happening there. Construction on this scale is extremely expensive. They wouldn't build more hangars unless there was a need. In the spring of 2005, a smaller building (Hangar 24) was added to the Southend ramp. Clearly, there is ongoing significant activity.

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Agreed Shadowhawk!

There is just tooooo much going on right now to not use the base. God only knows what that hanger is going to be used for, but I'm sure we'll be hearing stories before long!

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Shadowhawk, you hit the nail on the head!

The construction of this new hanger gives me pause for thought. As we have already said, this is extremely expensive. The thing what stands out in my mind is that I know from other research that black projects usually don't share hangers. So if we use that logic, there will only be one Project operating from this hanger at a time. This suggests that the project will either involves several aircraft, such as a plane that will be air launching UAV's, or we are looking at a Very large aircraft in development.

The website is suggesting some very large dimensions. The hight especially suggests several aircraft involved. I'm thinking possible Piggyback configuration for a air launched craft. The staggering height would allow one aircraft to be lifted on top of another, very large plane.

Tim

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
The height of the hangar isn't all that important. Many people got lured into thinking Hangar 18 was built tall to accomodate a piggy-back aircraft system. It's more important to compare these hangars to those we can examine in detail. Get on Google and take a look at Edwards.

Hangar 1623 at Edwards is approximately the same size as Hangar 18 at Groom Lake. the main difference is the Hangar 18 has a more steeply pitched roof. Hangar 1623 was originally built for the C-5 and later used for the B-1A and C-17. It offered 83,000 square feet of floor space in the hangar, and 40,000 square feet of office space.

Hangar 1600 at Edwards is quite a bit larger. It serves as a maintenance facility with an immense hangar floor, as well as substantial space for offices, tool cribs, machine shops, supply depots, etc. Hangar 25 at Groom Lake appears to be similar in size to Hangar 1600 and may serve a similar function. If it does, house special projects, it is large enough that it could be subdivided for multiple aircraft.

A more interesting question with regard to the new hangar is: Why?

The Groom Lake facility doesn't seem to be hurting for hangar space:

Hangar 2 is a small building that once served as storage for the RED HATS.

Hangars 4, 5, 6 and 7 are the four large buildings on the North Ramp. They originally housed the A-12 and MD-21 projects. Later they accomodated the RED HATS aircraft and the security/support helicopters.

Hangar 8 held Northrop's TACIT BLUE.

Hangars 9 though 16 held eight A-12 aircraft individually. Later they were used for HAVE BLUE and F-117A.

Hangar 17 at one time housed the SENIOR PROM cruise missile technology demonstrators and their DC-130 launch aircraft.

Hangar 18 was, until now the largest hangar on base.

Hangar 19, the Scoot-N-Hide shed was built as a shelter to conceal test aircraft from unauthorized observers. In 2005, it was extended to three times its original length.

Hangars 20 through 23 were originally built to house the F-117A for Tactical Air Command. In the mid-1980s, these Butler buildings replaced four "Rubber Duck" temporary hangars.

Hangar 24 was built next to Hangar 9 in 2005 and is slightly taller, but otherwise about the same size.

Hangar 25 will dwarf all others at the base.

Thats a lot of hangar space by any standards. Considering the expense involved, there must be a compelling reason to fund these construction projects.

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Hey all, Im new to ATS, but I am on other sites such as dreamlandresort.com lots of folks suspect this new hangar to block views from tikaboo. NOt that it blocks much space, but it does seem to obstruct view of anyhting behind it. Maybe I'm off. ONe way or another it certainly shows that Area 51 is alive and well. I live in Vegas and camp there once a month, I'll be there in 2 days again. How was the hike up tikaboo? did u need a 4w drive?

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
It isn't the hangar that blocks the view, it's an earth berm that blocks a view of the parking ramp in front of the hangar. Aircraft can be operated near the hangar without being seen by unauthorized personnel.

It's clever. Much cheaper and easier than building a structure or enacting legislation to seize more public land.

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
How do you knw what each Hangar over there at Groomlake is used for?! I'm just curious as you seem to know alot of detailed information as to the specifics and size of each Hangar?!

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Christianseven, there is an old joke about a tourist who asks: "How do I get to Canegie Hall?" The response is: "Practice. Practice."

So, how do I know so much about the Groom Lake hangars?

Research. Research.

I have been researching this subject for many years, using a combination of documents, photographs, interviews, and personal observations.

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Speaking of your research into Groom Lake and your detailed knowlege of these hangers, do you know about any of the projects that are currently being tested at Groom Lake?

Tim

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost01
Shadowhawk, you hit the nail on the head!

The construction of this new hanger gives me pause for thought. As we have already said, this is extremely expensive. The thing what stands out in my mind is that I know from other research that black projects usually don't share hangers. So if we use that logic, there will only be one Project operating from this hanger at a time. This suggests that the project will either involves several aircraft, such as a plane that will be air launching UAV's, or we are looking at a Very large aircraft in development.

The website is suggesting some very large dimensions. The hight especially suggests several aircraft involved. I'm thinking possible Piggyback configuration for a air launched craft. The staggering height would allow one aircraft to be lifted on top of another, very large plane.

Tim

maybe it will be used for the testing of project NIGHTEYE.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I feel that this new hangar is in relation to the new space program and the urge to get BACK to the moon and Mars, etc.........

-Roger

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Candy2500
maybe it will be used for the testing of project NIGHTEYE.

Project NIGHTEYE? I haven't heard this code name before.

Does anyone know what Project NIGHTEYE is?

Tim

top topics

join