It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abiotic Coal and Oil the answer to our energy woes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Have you ever heard of Thomas Gold?

In an excerpt from a mailing sent to me from a friend:

Thomas Gold, recently deceased, was a pre-eminent scientist who studied deep earth geology and planetary composition. President for many years of the National Science Foundation, Thomas Gold did a great deal of work publicising the abiotic theory of oil formation.

The Abiotic Theory is a very interesting one to me, as it seems to be a better explanation of occurance than what we currently are taught, and would explain the massive amounts of continental shelf oil.

en.wikipedia.org...

The summary of the Abiotic Theory is that oil and coal are formed from natural occurances in the Earth, not from biological origins.

The hypothesis of abiogenic petroleum origin holds that natural petroleum was formed from deep carbon deposits, perhaps deposits dating to the formation of the Earth. The ubiquity of hydrocarbons in the solar system is taken as evidence that there may be a great deal more petroleum on Earth than commonly thought, and that petroleum may originate from carbon-bearing fluids which migrate upward from the mantle.

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   
This has actually been discussed a lot here before.

Do a search.

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Hi Texan

I've read about this some, and participated in a couple threads here. There's plenty of them to look thru.

ATS Aboitic oil threads

I think the general concensus is that oil is biotic, but that in some cases, things like calcium under extreme pressure can form abiotic oil, but only on a small scale.

However, I think the jury is still out on the final verdict, eventhough the scientific community is pretty sure oil is biotic.

Best of Luck

makeitso

[edit on 6/9/07 by makeitso]

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
This has actually been discussed a lot here before.

Do a search.

Why, yes, it has. Thank you for your observation and suggestion.

Having said that, do you have anything to add to this discussion?

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso

Hi Texan

I've read about this some, and participated in a couple threads here. There's plenty of them to look thru.

ATS Aboitic oil threads

I think the general concensus is that oil is biotic, but that in some cases, things like calcium under extreme pressure can form abiotic oil, but only on a small scale.

However, I think the jury is still out on the final verdict, eventhough the scientific community is pretty sure oil is biotic.

Best of Luck

makeitso

[edit on 6/9/07 by makeitso]

Hello, Makeitso.
Thank you for your constructive input. It is much appreciated. Not real familiar with the search feature (can work it, never noticed it, though).

new topics

top topics

join