It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whatever happened to DHS terror alerts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 06:07 AM
link   
When was the last time you heard any reference to the Dept. of Homeland Security's Advisory System--the color-coded threat levels that used to be blared all over the MSM?

Whatever happened to it? It is still active: here's the link to the DHS Security Advisory System.

It's currently yellow, with orange for air travel.

And is this any comfort, or confirmation that it is discredited after having been so blatantly manipulated in the run-up to the 2004 presidential elections?

Or just lying dormant, lamed like a duck, until the fall of 2008?

[typo]

[edit on 24-5-2007 by gottago]

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Its called conditioning, and due to people being saturated with the fear of terror it just doesn't need to be used right now. All that needs to be said is "possible" attacks, or something "may" occur and people will bow down to any action the government takes. Atleast that's my opinion the topic...

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
The National Threat Advisories are still alive and well and right now it is listed as ELEVATED.

www.dhs.gov...

I got a little extension with Firefox that shows what the current threat level is (don't ask me why I put it there because I really don't know) and it has been at ELEVATED for every single day since I put it there, which has been for about three months now.

Did anybody ever pay attention to these things in the first place?

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Personally, I think that alert system is silly. As simple as it looks, it's too confusing (if it can even be considered useful).

They should just use a number and/or letter system or something like this:

en.wikipedia.org...

Or the ones the weather services use.

Colors are a bad idea and the words chosen don't really make sense. I mean, that system MIGHT be useful in a place where there's attacks more frequently.

Since we didn't seem to know that the 911 attacks were coming, the system is kind of like closing the barn door after the horses ran out.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by IrvingTheExplainer
Personally, I think that alert system is silly. As simple as it looks, it's too confusing (if it can even be considered useful).
Since we didn't seem to know that the 911 attacks were coming, the system is kind of like closing the barn door after the horses ran out.

The operative words there are "seem to." It's been quite well-proven that warnings from just about every foreign intel service were ignored, and that FBI investigations of the 9/11 cells in the US was actively blocked by the CIA.

And of course the famous PDB about "Bin Laden determined to strike the US."

Even Dir. CIA Tenet claims he ran around with his hair on fire in DC that summer warning about a major terror attack--but that might have been major CYA/disinfo, IMO.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Classified Info
The National Threat Advisories are still alive and well and right now it is listed as ELEVATED.

I don't have the alert thingy as Classified Info does,
but CI is correct that the terror threat level is updated constantly !

On a number of TV's news-scrolls, at the bottom of the screen,
the level is usually the Yellow=ELEVATED
but several times in the recent months i've seen it Red=HIGH

one just has to interface with public news services every now & then
(although i listen to my Pandora radio stations when i'm on the net with ATS or other things (like my fantasy sport teams),
but i have the TV on too...that's why i know of the alert level on the scroll news items)

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I tend to think of it as the Boy that Cried Wolf too many times. By not making it a point to bombard us with the terror threat levels, we as a people are more inclined to take them seriously when they apply to our area or activity.

I do agree that the worded and color code system is a little off for the average person but it is based loosely on the emergency color code system. Most people know that when an Amber Alert has been issued that it refers to a child abduction. The misconception of it being named after a girl named Amber is actually a helpful mnemonic.

top topics

join