It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Phonecall I've been Receiving

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
For the past 3 days in a row i've gotten a phonecall from 386-756-9530

I answer the call and a recording comes on that says, Please hold for the next representative. And then after about 30 seconds the phone disconnects.

I looked up the phone number online and this is the result that i got:

whocalled.us...

For some reason, it is either One Stop Vacation, or Lookheed Martin?!?!?

Now, i called back yesterday and a lady answered and i got asked to be taken off the calling list, she said ok.. and then hung up on me..... Then i got a call from the same number today.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I get these types of calls at work all the time. "please hold for a very important call."

I don't have caller ID at my desk so I don't know where the call is coming from and I always hang up but I think the call might be a means of testing the lines to see if the number is active and worth being added to a list which will then be sold to telemarketers.

It's a computerized system and getting removed from it is probably near impossible but you might be able to contact some state run group that tries to crack down on these things. I know there is some method for filing complaints for unwanted faxes which is supposed to result in a penalty paid by the sender to you but I have yet to bother trying that out.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Nothing special, it's just a new twist on the cold calling routine from sales companies.

They have a computer which dials numbers constantly and as the phone is picked up the call is routed to a sales rep, if no rep is available you are put on hold or the line is disconnected within a few seconds. They have become a big problem in the UK and are hugely unpopular.

We have a law which makes it an offence to cold call a line which has been opted out of telemarketing calls, you just register your phone number with the database and the calls stop. It's great except just occasionally I miss the fun to be had with someone trying to sell me double glazing I really, really don't want.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
hmm i wonder if it's related to that suntasia marketing company. be on the lookout for that shady company suntasia, which is a real company and trick you into giving them your bank account number and then 'legally' draw funds from your account. I say 'legal', because they have their own lawyer who presents the facts that you agreed over the phone to these services and when they send you stuff in the mail, the fine print says that it will charge you until you opt out.

It almost hapened to me, but I told them I wasn't interested in their free vacation and hung up when they asked me for my bank account. Very shady business. I don't know how they got my address, bank name and bank routing number.. because they told me that info before hand to trick me into thinking they are a legit company.... glad they didn't have my account number though. they said over the phone that they are in the better business bureau, but when I looked them up, they have bad ratings.

I'm sure there's other companies like suntasia out there doing the same thing so be careful of what pesonal information you give over the phone. And if they keep calling, send them a Cease and Desist letter saying you will contact your attorney because they are trained to stop calling since they don't want to get into a legal battle.

[edit on 9-5-2007 by curiousbeliever]

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
Now, i called back yesterday and a lady answered and i got asked to be taken off the calling list, she said ok.. and then hung up on me..... Then i got a call from the same number today.

Pain in the backend, aren't they?

For MONTHS we've been getting a call every day (sometimes twice a day) from someplace (in Michigan I think) with a recorded voice that starts out - "this is your financial department ...... blah blah blah". We have told them THREE TIMES to take us off their calling list. They kept saying they would. We are STILL getting calls. This has been going on for three months.

Today I got one that started - 'this is your mortgage department .. blah blah blah'.

I can't stand these people. I think there is a special place in purgatory just for telemarketers and spammers.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Its really annoying and strange. I dont understand why they hang up on me everytime. And if you look at the link for some reason, lockheed martin shows up. i really dont know what that is about.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I found this sample Cease and Desist letter online that will supposedly make them stop calling you. This is tailored towards Suntasia marketing, if that is the company that is calling you.:

-----------------------------------------------------

Your Name
Address
Date

Donald Booth
Suntasia Marketing
8751 Ulmerton Road,
Largo, FL 33771

Dear Mr. Booth:

I request that you CEASE and DESIST in your efforts to market your products to my phone (insert number(s) here). I am NOT interested in anything your company has to offer.

Also if you don’t comply with my request I will seek legal action against your company as well as contacting the local media and the Better Business Bureau. It is my personal policy not to deal with marketing companies that solicit over the phone without my consent.

You are hereby instructed to cease and desist any marketing efforts immediately by deleting my name, address and phone number(s) from your dialing system or face legal sanctions under applicable Federal and State law.

GIVE THIS LETTER THE IMMEDIATE ATTENTION IT DESERVES (scumbag is optional here)

Cordially

Your name here

End of letter

Note:

Make sure you sign the letter otherwise it is not legal. Also, make sure you certify the letter when you send it. This way you have proof they received it. One last thing, remember to list ALL the phone numbers in your home including cellphones so they don’t have a chance to slip through the cracks and call you.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I think my favorite of all time was "Home Owners Long Distance"...they would call you up and say "May we put you on HOLD?" If you said yes, they would hang up, and switch you over to their long distance company.

It didn't stand up in court, and the lawsuits put them out of business. But it was a great idea.

top topics

join