It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Small quakes in Yellowstone,

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Closest point of the Caldera is about 73 miles away though, and also the progression of the magma plume under Yellowstone is north easterly, not north westerly. I don't think much will come of that quake.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   
eventhough the Montana quake today isn't directly related to Yellowstone, its in the same region...only 75 miles away. If there is slippage that close it can definately, indirectly effect the yellowstone fault zones.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
This is a handy image, Gives you the zones for fault lines

www.disastercenter.com...

I wont image the pic as i think you need permission, so just have a click to see it,

Basicly shows you the seismic zones for the USA,

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
This may also be useful

www.seis.utah.edu...

While it is only technically for Utah and Yellowstone, this recent quake is visible too. Brown lines are Faults I think.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 03:44 AM
link   
You think that's bad??

Well, just about 50 minutes ago, off the Northern California Coast, there were a series of moderate quakes, ranging in size from 2.5 to 5.2. More information can be found on the USGS website.

Feel free to check it out.

TheBorg

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 04:06 AM
link   
wow thats a lot bigger than your everyday earthquake in Califi. Since it happened in the norther part of the state, i would expect it to also cause a large quake further down the fault between SF and SD within the next few weeks. Be Vigilent.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 04:20 AM
link   
That quake is on the edge of Juan de Fuca, near the end of it where it meets the pacific plate and the North American.

Now, back to Yellowstone....

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I found this document on earthquake swarms at Yellowstone at the University of Utah's volcanology lab site.

If you notice, there's a section in there where it's not unknown for there to be earthquake swarms. It happened in 1985; in 1995; in 2004.

My question is this: Could we be seeing an increase in velocity of these swarms? After all, there was a 10 year difference between the '85 swarm and the '95 swarm. And then a nine year difference between '95 and '04. And now a three year difference between '04 and '07.

See where I'm going with this?

[edit on 5/10/2007 by behindthescenes]

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by behindthescenes

If you notice, there's a section in there where it's not unknown for there to be earthquake swarms. It happened in 1985; in 1995; in 2004.

My question is this: Could we be seeing an increase in velocity of these swarms? After all, there was a 10 year difference between the '85 swarm and the '95 swarm. And then a nine year difference between '95 and '04. And now a seven year difference between '04 and '07.

Yes I do see where you are going with this....the frequency has picked up

Not to nit pick but the difference between 2004 and 2007 is three years not seven years.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by etshrtslr

My question is this: Could we be seeing an increase in velocity of these swarms? After all, there was a 10 year difference between the '85 swarm and the '95 swarm. And then a nine year difference between '95 and '04. And now a seven year difference between '04 and '07.

Yes I do see where you are going with this....the frequency has picked up

Not to nit pick but the difference between 2004 and 2007 is three years not seven years.

You're not nitpicking...that was a stupid mistake on my part. Okay, so we're down to three years now....

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   

You're not nitpicking...that was a stupid mistake on my part. Okay, so we're down to three years now....

It was an honest mistake.

If the patterns hold true the next swarm will be in another two years then the next a little over a year after that. Of course I know there is know way to know if the patterns will stay constant but your find is very interesting.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Easy, just have the boys at HAARP aim their Tesla Howitzer at the underlying caldera in pulsed endothermic mode. Extract enough heat energy to calm things down for a few more thousand years

Use the extracted heat energy to boil water for a steam turbine, make popcorn, whatever...

SOURCE

edit add sentence/fix bbc

[edit on 10-5-2007 by Stale Cracker]

[edit on 10-5-2007 by Stale Cracker]

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Still emotionally charged from plastic topic:

Maybe god's finally preparing to smithe us. I wouldn't disagree

But indeed yellowstone erupting woul be a fearful event, I'd wake up in europe with an earthquake and somewhat later dark skies and the news that the USA.. well what USA? lol gone. And then hopefully get to an underground facility with huge stockpiles of food and drink and just maybe survive the aftermath.

I saw I couple of docu's about what would happen if yellowstone erupts.. it's a frightful prospect. If it does the whole north american continent will be sterilized

I haven't had time to check this article against valid scientific sources yet (i'm still reading it) but there's no denying a supervolcano eruption like yellowstone will be a global cataclysm and hard to go over the top on and so the article seems good enough so far:

Supervolcano - Yellowstone National Park

[edit on 7/6/2007 by David2012]

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shar
Ok, that is nice then. Sounds like they are on top of things. Looks like there will be plenty of warning to get everyone out.

Get everyone out to where? If yellowstone blows people that will survive (almost noone on the north american continent) will be forced underground.
A supervolcano like yellowstone is a global disaster. Resembles a meteor hit in certain ways in the aftermath, long period where the sun will be blocked out, poisonous atmosphere and so on.
The immediate effect of chocking ash clouds and poisonous gasses on it's own extends out over 1000 miles. and that's not counting the aftermath.

Yellowstone is in the same list of extinction level events that also contains massive meteor or asteroid strikes etc.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by David2012
Yellowstone is in the same list of extinction level events that also contains massive meteor or asteroid strikes etc.

No, it's big, but even Yellowstone is not that big. There have been worse eruptios than the so called 'Super Eruption', the Deccan Traps and Siberian Traps.

People could survive easily in North America, The east and west coasts escaped most of the ashfall before, on it's previous large eruptions. The after effects could bring about significant global cooling, but probably not for too long than would be enough to cause an extinction on the level of the KT boundary.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 06:07 AM
link   
It might not make us extinct as a species but it's still big. they will find the event in our dna in the far future just like we can find the supervolcano eruption 70000 years ago in our dna because we came very close to extinction.

It might not be an extinction level event literally but it does sit on the list.

I don't know if there's a copy of it online, I'd scan it if I had a scanner :s

A lot is on the list that doesn't quite scream extinction persay but which all have the off chance to have that as an end result. The list takes in account human factors not just the immediate environmental effects.

It's big enough that when it blows that I will know about it here in Europe before I switch on my tv in the morning
(I won't know it was yellowstone, but I'll know something big happened somewhere)

EDIT
Here's an article about how bad yellowstone can potentially get:
I have yet to completely read it myself but I gotta scoot now.
Livescience: Super Volcano Will Challenge Civilization, Geologists Warn

[edit on 7/6/2007 by David2012]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join