It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft wants to aquire Yahoo for 50 Billion Dollars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Microsoft wants to aquire Yahoo for 50 Billion Dollars

www.forbes.com

Software maker Microsoft Corp. asked search engine operator Yahoo Inc. to re-enter formal negotiations for an acquisition that could be worth $50 billion, the New York Post reported on Friday.

Microsoft (nasdaq: MSFT - news - people ) is feeling increasing pressure to compete with Google Inc. (nasdaq: GOOG - news - people ), which plans to beef up its portfolio with a $3.1 billion buy of online advertising company DoubleClick Inc. Earlier this week, Yahoo (nasdaq: YHOO - news - people ) said it
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5-5-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 04:46 AM
link   
This is huge, the biggest M&A activity ever in IT industry. i wonder if this goes through their will be any anti trust laws that will be broken. and it does give me the heeby jeebys (yes i said heeby jeebys) thinking about the giant this will M&A will create as MSFT already leaves a bad taste in my mouth. but any how this will be a good fight to watch i wonder who else would jump in maybe google and Apple would make a bid for yahoo or other way around google and apple would join.

well time to get the popcorn will be interesting and some one would make a bigillion bucks on speculation alone

www.forbes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
hmmmmmm do you guys think it will be a good time to by yahoo and msft stock?

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
yep like i said on the previous post yahoo stocks has gone up on speculation after the story hit the front pages

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by nashthegreat
yep like i said on the previous post yahoo stocks has gone up on speculation after the story hit the front pages

So if Gates has Yahoo stock he's already made money without doing anything concrete?

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
hehe yep sure has you know its funny how some make/loose billions of dollers on speculation alone

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
That really is a crazy amount of money. Maybe Gates dosen't think he has enough in the bank for his early retirement. I speculate that this take over will not be allowed. anti trust, monopoly commission something like that will pop up and put a stop to it. After ever one has made a few bucks on the stocks

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I don't know. I don't really like the idea of Microsoft owning the giants in the net industry. They already have the OS market, why the search market? Leave that for someone else.

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
you know i hate msft as much as the next guy but thinking this through this merger might be a good idea. at the moment their is no real competition in searching and indexing area yahoo and Microsoft live search is no where near touching google. maybe combined resources of the giants can challange google and bring about some competition in search and indexing area.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Never really thought of it that way Nash. I suppose Google is the M$ of search engines? I personally use GMail and Google is my homepage.
But eventually, there'll be people hating Google just as much as M$.

But I suppose it would only create healthy competition for Google. Probably forcing for more and better services.

Honestly, I just don't want to lose my GMail account

apc

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   
The implications here are not just in the search engine industry.

Yahoo is partners with SBC aka AT&T.

Baby steps...

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I just can't imagine the regulators allowing this because of anti-trust concerns.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I really don't see how Yahoo is worth that much. Perhaps some of it's secondary services are more exceptional, but as a search engine it's doesn't measure up to Google

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Oh-oh, what's Mr Gates up to this time? I can't see that investment would ever (a short time), threaten Googles dominance. So why? as mentioned above, could AT&T be the end goal ownership?

Linux is soon to be introduced into the market by Dell in a start up limited way. Vista whether above and beyond XP is getting more thumbs down then up from what I've read. So is this buy the next step for Gates and MicroSoft?

Dallas

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   
While second-tier to Google, Yahoo! is still a major player in the Internet cataloging/searching arena with additional things like HotJobs.

This is another example of Microsoft's embrace, extend, and extinguish modus operandi. They'll end up folding Yahoo and MSN together and do the best they can to make it operable only under Windows & Internet Explorer, effectively locking out Mac and UNIX/Linux users to most functionality as well as PC users using other non-MS browsers.

If you can't see this, you must be blind.

[edit on 5/7/2007 by djohnsto77]

[edit on 5/7/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Well it obvious that Microsoft views Google as their biggest competitor.
And it's a competition between two extremely different corporate marketing views. Whereas Microsoft tries to "muscle" into the different niches of the internet, Google seems to have embraced tech users by giving us services essentially for free and then they try to find a way to profit from them. Just look at Google maps, G-mail, Google desk top search. Google realized that they can make their money from advertising while offering tech users the benefits.

Google has, for all intents and purposes, dominated the search niche by giving us the finest search engine around. MS, on the other hand, has failed miserably with it's own search and it would only seem that they have acknowledged their shortcomings in that department by trying to acquire Yahoo. Perhaps combined, MS and Yahoo together, MS can reacquire an area that MS and Yahoo both, at one time, dominated -- search. At least it would certainly appear to be the case. It looks like Microsoft is , at long last, recognizing that the real power of the internet is in "information" and the control and retrieval of information.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Excellent theory djohnsto77
You certainly expanded my thoughts on the subject, thanks.
Personally, I feel Yahoo is goo. MS will never recover it's search engine base and probably knows Linix may be the future, cheap (nothing) and not full of copyright-no-copy rules to it's users, etc..

Move over MS, as we do have other choices other than staying with older MS software with rapidly shrinking service life (MS-- forcing us to upgrade in a shorter period of time). I'm happy with XP, but am becoming more and more confident my next sys op system will be another brand. Who knows, mayhaps Google will enter the sys op business?

Dallas

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 05:36 AM
link   
If M$ ultimate goal is to accquire AT&T this maybe Ms taking steps to head off potential net nutrility conflicts that may arrise. all in all this might be a fun year for whole IT industry.

new topics

top topics

join