It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Got To Thinking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Yesterday, as I was going on a daily stroll around my college campus, as is becoming customary for me, I got to thinking. We, as humans, think we know what exists. Do we? Is it not possible that there are creatures flying under the disguise of night that we have no idea exists? It seems rather plausible to me.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Possible, but probably doubtful because the chances are good that at least once we'd find one sleeping. The deep ocean, on the other hand...

[edit on 9-4-2007 by uberarcanist]

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Possible, but probably doubtful because the chances are good that at least once we'd find one sleeping. The deep ocean, on the other hand...

[edit on 9-4-2007 by uberarcanist]

The deep ocean is indeed a mystery. However, most likely any creature that flies by night would be nocturnal and may have places high in the mountains or even in underground caverns, so, really, I think the likelihood that we'd "catch one sleeping" is not so likely at all.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
However, most likely any creature that flies by night would be nocturnal and may have places high in the mountains or even in underground caverns, so, really, I think the likelihood that we'd "catch one sleeping" is not so likely at all.

Its called "bats" and we catch them sleeping all the time

Staying up late is a little easier as opposed to exploring the deep ocean.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
There are things out there... that we definitely have not found yet. A human being has 5 senses, who are we to say that the universe can be defined by only 5 senses? Perhaps things, organic and inorganic, exist outside of our understanding, but we can never know because we only understand what can be felt by our senses.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheB1ueSoldier
There are things out there... that we definitely have not found yet. A human being has 5 senses, who are we to say that the universe can be defined by only 5 senses? Perhaps things, organic and inorganic, exist outside of our understanding, but we can never know because we only understand what can be felt by our senses.

B1uesoldier, that's very true. It's rather naive and arrogant, in my honest opinion, to assume that we know of everything that is in existence on earth. We are not even close to knowing what lies in the depths of the ocean but that's a whole other issue really.

As far as things that are outside the frequency range of our senses. well, that is something we may very well never know.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I doubt that the number of unknown critters flying around at night is that high... which isn't to say there aren't any at all. I think there are probably a few hundred species we have yet to discover, many of which probably live high in the atmosphere (Atmospheric Bioforms).

However I think there is a greater possibility that there are oodles of unknown creatures living in the sea. The number of myths regarding large octopi, or the bizarre carcasses which wash up (Canvey Island Carcasses being my favourite), or the strange animals often sighted (Trunko being my favourite).

We know more about the immediate space around our planet than we do about the black depths where no light penetrates.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
That is an interesting thought.

However, if there were creatures flying around at night, from time to time one of them would die and we would find the remains.

I'm sure there are plenty of creatures that are roaming around on this planet that havn't yet been discovered.

Take care.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I think there are probably a few hundred species we have yet to discover, many of which probably live high in the atmosphere

Well, JackofBlades, a few hundred unidentified species sounds like a bunch to me.... I also think you may be correct in your assessment.

As far as what lurks under the depths of the ocean, I don't think we will ever completely know. after you go so deep, the pressure gets so heavy that there is not much that can withstand it.

I have often thought about what it would be like if a sea or part of the ocean just dried up. There is no telling what kind of things we'd see.... Of course, they'd be dead, but I think we might be startled at what lives right here on our own planet and we go into outer space looking for things.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

I think there are probably a few hundred species we have yet to discover, many of which probably live high in the atmosphere

Well, JackofBlades, a few hundred unidentified species sounds like a bunch to me.... I also think you may be correct in your assessment.

Considering the number of species on the planet a few hundred is absolutely nothing. Do you know there are over 2300 species of moth? That's just one animal with thousands of different species. And there are 1100 bats? A few hundred is like a raindrop in the water.

As far as what lurks under the depths of the ocean, I don't think we will ever completely know. after you go so deep, the pressure gets so heavy that there is not much that can withstand it.

Some of the stuff we send into space could easily tolerate the pressure that deep... its just that our interest (as a species) is always outward and never inward. We look away when we should look in.

quote]I have often thought about what it would be like if a sea or part of the ocean just dried up. There is no telling what kind of things we'd see.... Of course, they'd be dead, but I think we might be startled at what lives right here on our own planet and we go into outer space looking for things.

I have wondered that too, and I think there'd be some pretty creepy stuff down there. I mean look at some of the deep sea dwellers we already know about. There pretty ugly (from a human view)

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I believe we are missing all sorts of living things out there. Now I wouldn't say that they are right under our noses but in remote areas, sure!

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
I believe we are missing all sorts of living things out there. Now I wouldn't say that they are right under our noses but in remote areas, sure!

Without a doubt. I wouldn't go so far as to say that they are right under our noses either. I suspect that there will always be some species that we don't know about.

join