It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belgium's BBQ Tax to Fight Global Warming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I saw this article and thought I would share, taxing BBQ's

story

BRUSSELS, April 3 (RIA Novosti) - The government of Belgium's French-speaking region of Wallonia, which has a population of about 4 million, has approved a tax on barbequing, local media reported.

Experts said that between 50 and 100 grams of CO2, a so-called greenhouse gas, is emitted during barbequing. Beginning June 2007, residents of Wallonia will have to pay 20 euros for a grilling session.

They plan to implement this with thermal sensors on flying greenhouse gas emmitting helicopters.........

Sometimes you just have to laugh...

EDIT: title

[edit on 2007/4/3 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I wish it was funny. Here in New Haven, CT thanks to the Yale population and our insane mayor this kind of crap is more than likely to come our way. All of our "world famous" coal-oven pizza places better look out.

What of the people who burn coal stoves to stay warm? Freeze or pay the tax?

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I'm all for cutting GHG but this is not the way to go

I don't know the life style in this region but like thisguyrighthere said, what about the people who have no alternative?

Experts said that between 50 and 100 grams of CO2, a so-called greenhouse gas, is emitted during barbequing.

That seems like nothing. Take a look at the hybrid car, the Citroen C4. It produces 90 grams of CO2 emitted per kilometre. I have no idea how much a "normal" car emits but I'm sure it must dwarf that of a barbecue.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
What would be the GHG output from the surveillance helicopter cracking down on the backyard BBQers?

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
What would be the GHG output from the surveillance helicopter cracking down on the backyard BBQers?

lol
I tried to look that up too but couldn't find anything. I'm sure one of the regulars from the aircraft forum would be able to find out for us.

Lug

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   
This story cracks me up. I got visions of a couple of campers roasting a rabbit over a campfire and the helicopter whup-whuppping overhead. A loudspeaker blares out over the countryside.

back away from that BBQ, you criminals!!! You never paid tax on that!!!

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
why it is that people believe taxes will limit emissions or end GW.

How does paying extra to the government help anything? Taxes wont even deter the behavior. The people will keep BBQing and the companies will just hire lawyers and anyone stupid enough to actually pay up will just have their money lost or wasted in the endless sea of government beurocracy. It doesnt make any sense. Never mind the emissions of the heat seeking helicoptors but how about the cost. Im sure whatever the government gets from these idiotic taxes wont even come close to covering the cost of sending tax collectors up in helicoptors to search and destroy hibachis.

Its all just so hopelessly idiotic. It puts more money in the governments pocket and pacifys eco-nut phychos. Ive never known a government in any nation to refuse a chance to levy a tax.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
[sarcasm]In an effort to make paying the BBQ tax simpler and to avoid unwanted embarassment at cookouts...

...the Belgian government will soon unveil the Belgian BBQGrillPass which works like other pay on the go devices like the Mobil Speedpass or toll passes seen nationwide.

Simply have your local taxman hook your grill up with the taxreader and wave your pass and you can be sure your BBQ will not be visited by the authorities.

For inquiries call 1-800-BBQPass
[/sarcasm]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   

[sarcasm]In an effort to make paying the BBQ tax simpler and to avoid unwanted embarassment at cookouts...

...the Belgian government will soon unveil the Belgian BBQGrillPass which works like other pay on the go devices like the Mobil Speedpass or toll passes seen nationwide.

Simply have your local taxman hook your grill up with the taxreader and wave your pass and you can be sure your BBQ will not be visited by the authorities.

For inquiries call 1-800-BBQPass
[/sarcasm]

I just called that phone number out of sheer boredom at work, and it turned out to be "Bar pasters?" Or something of the like..... hahaha!

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I'm a bit skeptical about the true impetus for this tax. It’s just as likely this was done for “neighbor-nuisance” reasons. This is pretty local-yocal stuff.

I do have to say, that if the article is correct, I find it ironic they’ll be policing the tax with a carbon emitting helicopter.

[edit on 3-4-2007 by loam]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I'm skeptical about the news report.
I live 10 km from the belgian border, have friends there and have not heard of this.

Likely an april's fools joke, it's pretty common to make fake news like that on april 1st here.
Funny one too
, Most of them were pretty lame this year.

[edit on 3-4-2007 by David2012]

I did a search in belgian newspapers, from present up to 1 week ago and there's nothing in them about this.

[edit on 3-4-2007 by David2012]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by David2012
I did a search in belgian newspapers, from present up to 1 week ago and there's nothing in them about this.

I can only find the OP's source and one other quoting it.

I now very much doubt this story.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Here's a couple more one on the issue and one which might explain what's happening in Wallonia, Belgium...

Welcome To The New Global Warming Order opinion based on OP

Pining for power, modern Belgians return to the Middle Ages

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
LOL.. it seems that in Belgium, the Flemish like to toy with the people from Wallonia, this could be another hoax.

Check out what they did last year:

Outrage in Belgium after television broadcast hoax

BRUSSELS: The newscast showed fuzzy pictures that appeared to be King Albert II and Queen Paola fleeing the country on an air force plane as a clutch of pro-monarchy demonstrators waved Belgian flags outside the royal palace. Then there was live footage of trams blocked at Belgium's new border.

Flanders, the report declared, had proclaimed its independence. Belgium, a fragile federal country of 10 million people, famous for its 300 kinds of beer, its funky designers and its more than a dozen different parliaments and regional governments, was no more.

But was it?

Looks like they enjoy a good chuckle over there......

I've been Punked!!!

Mods feel free to move this to BTS....
, or leave it here for my ridicule...

to think I was considering investing in the BBQPass industry...

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
If this is for real, then we will all be jailed some day for posting on the forum with our computer, computer needs electricity, and power factory burns fossil fuel which pollutes

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   

They plan to implement this with thermal sensors on flying greenhouse gas emmitting helicopters.........

Sometimes you just have to laugh...

I am telling you, pretty soon they will start taxing us for "exhaling too much CO2 and methane".....

Hey the world has too much CO2....but don't worry, pay up some "carbon credit" or some other global tax and the world will be saved... you can then continue with your activities...but you better pay up or the world will become like Mars or Venus....

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Looks like they enjoy a good chuckle over there......

I've been Punked!!!

Mods feel free to move this to BTS....
, or leave it here for my ridicule...

to think I was considering investing in the BBQPass industry...

That other link you gave is from 2006, the first link from Rian is from April 3rd. Two days after April 1st.

Let's wait a bit more and see what happens, but for now it doesn't appear to be an April 1st joke.

[edit on 4-4-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Let's close this story, check out today's report:

Belgium local authorities deny barbequing tax reports

"We have repeatedly denied this information, which is nothing but an April Fool's Day joke. But we never imagined it would create such a fuss," said the press secretary of Wallonia's minister for agricultural, rural affairs, the environment and tourism.

Let the TAXFREE BBQ's Begin

[edit on 2007/4/4 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
*edit to remove repeat post*

Nearly fell off my chair when i read that and was about to check out CO2 emmissions from helicopters LOL!

[edit on 4-4-2007 by PRSuk]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Im thoroughly relieved however Im sure that for each of us that were outraged there was at least one eco-nut out there who thought it was a step in the right direction. Its only a matter of time before somebody tries to push something like this or similarly ridiculous through if for no other reason than to increase a governments bank roll. And the people will thank them for it. What happened to being outraged at taxation? Now so many of us actively lobby for more.

top topics

join