It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Use of Insect Sprays & Pesticides

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
This morning I woke to find a hundred or so ants in my kitchen. Now they are still there because I can't kill them. How do I get them out of my kitchen without killing them? They are amazing to watch, honestly, there was a group of them all having a meeting and then they went back to looking for food. Joined up with the line.

Even when I am walking outside, if I see an insect, I will try to avoid standing on it. I don't use any pesticides in the garden. I would commit a major offence if I were to use pesticides/weedkillers or even fly sprays.

What alternatives are out there?
There must be some natural alternatives?

Am I delusional to think that if more people used less of these products, it would be better for the environment?

Oh edit to add some info I just found, but I also wonder how many people would use a natural alternative? Are we fighting a losing battle? Especially when you consider the amount of pesticides used in agriculture right now.

Keep a small spray bottle handy, and spray the ants with a bit of soapy water.
Set out cucumber peels or slices in the kitchen or at the ants' point of entry. Many ants have a natural aversion to cucumber. Bitter cucumbers work best.
Leave a few tea bags of mint tea near areas where the ants seem most active. Dry, crushed mint leaves or cloves also work as ant deterrents.
Trace the ant column back to their point of entry. Set any of the following items at the entry area in a small line, which ants will not cross: cayenne pepper, citrus oil (can be soaked into a piece of string), lemon juice, cinnamon or coffee grounds.
Mix a half teaspoon each of honey, borox, and aspartame (Equal, Nutrasweet, etc.), in small bottles. Place bottles on their sides, with lids off, in areas of most ant activity. Ants will carry the bait back to their colonies. Important: use indoors only; must be kept away from pets and children.
Leave a small, low wattage night light on for a few nights in the area of most ant activity. The change in light can disrupt and discourage their foraging patterns.
Ants on the deck? Slip a few cut up cloves of garlic between the cracks.
more natural alternatives

[edit on 22-3-2007 by NJE777]

join