It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hawaiian’s “borrow” bones from Museum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Their target was Hui Malama I Na Kupuna O Hawaii Nei, a group founded in 1989 to rebury native Hawaiian remains and burial items from museums and construction sites. In February 2001, Hui Malama took the 83 items as a "one-year loan" from the Bishop Museum where they had been held since being taken from the caves in 1905. Hui Malama reburied them. Despite repeated requests from the museum and other claimants, Hui Malama has refused to retrieve the items.

Source

This isn't the first round in this battle!!

I started this thread because another one "Aboriginals sue UK museum…" by iori_komei reminded me of this issue but i didn't think it fit into Iori's.

Although I’m all for respecting the ancestral artifacts of the Hawaiians, these methods will not help there case. If anything those on the fence will now support the museum.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   

DRESSED all in black with his hair cascading over his shoulders framing his tattooed cheek, Edward Halealoha Ayau left a federal courtroom yesterday flanked by U.S. marshals. He was sentenced to "an indeterminate amount of time" in prison for violating a court order to identify specific locations within Big Island caves where he reburied 83 native Hawaiian artifacts.

When told he could face prison, Ayau answered: "I would be honored."

Source

This mans dedication to this is uncanny. Even though I disagree with their methods, I’m impressed with his willingness to accept the penalty of jail time until the location of the artifacts is disclosed.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 02:48 AM
link   
The most recent development I can find on this subject. It is very interesting that the museum ended up having to split the cost of the retrieval.

Hui Malama and Bishop Museum will have to share the $330,000 cost for the recent retrieval of 83 burial artifacts from Big Island caves, under a settlement approved yesterday in U.S. District Court.

U.S. District Judge David Ezra approved the settlement, which was reached by the parties on Thursday. The deal also releases Edward Halealoha Ayau, head of Hui Malama I Na Kupuna O Hawaii Nei, who had been placed under home confinement for 11 months.

All 83 items were retrieved over the summer by the group, which included the Department of Hawaiian Homelands, the state Attorney General's office and Bishop Museum representatives.

I’m curious to find out where these artifacts are now. Still searching, with little luck. Maybe some phone calls to the Hawaiian Homelands office and the Bishop Museum will shed some light.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I think this is the thread you were looking for whoknew:

Aboriginals SueU.K. Museum Over Bones

I just typed in (aboriginal) in search block, then (iori_komei) in member's name block and (last year) in time option and it popped up.

Not the easiest search but definitely a good one, I am still learning how to use this fine tool!!!!

new topics

top topics

join