It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wendigos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Hey people, It would be much appreciated if you could post information and links on the Wendigo.

Mad

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 02:42 AM
link   
www.google.co.za...
en.wikipedia.org...

Perhaps you're looking for something specific? Asking a question would probably bring better results (and save you a lot of reading through other websites) than just asking for links?

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   
not sure if its helpful but the stephen king novel pet semetary speaks about the wendigo.. cant remember chapter but its the part where he is going to cemetary at night and the father has an encounter with it i think if my memory isnt failing.

its a indian legend i think and i think if you were to look at it in the eyes you either

(turn to stone?)
go crazy
or turn white and die

really not sure here though. try wikipedia.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
In Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan there are tales about the Windigo, which, though the spelling and stories are a bit different, the main idea is the same as the Wendigo.

Awhile back, I wrote a 2-part short story based on the legends using information cobbled together from several Native American sources.

Windigo (part 1)

Riek (part 2)

[edit on 20/3/07 by masqua]

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Thanks for the info everyone, and Gemwolf, I'm just looking for general info, but thanks anyway.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
and you should see Ravenous. really good movie.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I believe the Wendigo was mentioned on "Wild West Tech" once, which is a show on National Geographic Channel. It mentioned that a wendigo is a creature that people turn into after committing cannibalism.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheB1ueSoldier
I believe the Wendigo was mentioned on "Wild West Tech" once, which is a show on National Geographic Channel. It mentioned that a wendigo is a creature that people turn into after committing cannibalism.

Thanks, I'll check it up

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Windego

Sometimes is the bushes and woods a group of hunters or even a lone hunter would become trapped by the falling snow and ice unsable to navigate back to their village, no wood to make fire so they could keep warm and melt snow for drinking water, unable to catch wild game staying alive would seem hopeless.

One of the hunters gets Windego fever and decides that it is alright to eat human flesh and whether or not he suceeds in finding flesh his heart has turned to ice and unknown to himself he has grown very large and fast, their appearence similiar to a frozen skeleton.

The Windego can be heard from many miles around because the just trodge through the tree's making alot of noise, The Wendigo has a insatiable hunger for flesh and will seek out villages and hunting parties.

The only way to defeat a Windego is to melt his frozen heart with a heat source.

If the Windego is to far from villages or Hunting parties the Windego will attempt to eat moss in order to reach other villages.

Once a person has turned there is no saving them.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
thats what I've heard, only I heard they can mimic human voices and something about being able to hurt them with silver; like silver tipped arrows or silver bullets. Isn't there some kind of symbols you can draw to protect yourself.

If anyone is interested I might be able to get my friend to post some stuff (he had a run in with one when he was camping in boy-scouts)

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
There was also another movie put out in 2001 called simply "Wendigo". It was pretty interesting and went into the background of the legend...

imdb.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Yes they can talk because they were once human.

Silver has no effect though unless it was heated to a high temperature.

As far as I know symbols wont protect you, but hey I'm not an expert on the

subject and it's totally possible, I only know the stories I was told.

And it would be cool to hear about your friends run in with a Wendigo.

Anyway thanks for reading Ya'll

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by parapsyk676
If anyone is interested I might be able to get my friend to post some stuff (he had a run in with one when he was camping in boy-scouts)

That would be cool, thanks

Thanks to everyone else, too, for the great info.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I have a question for you now, Do you really believe in this Windigo thing? Or are you trying to be more knowledgable. I don't believe that there is a Phantom at which you look at then turn to stone...Sorry if I offend you, but it just sounds realy crazy...Abit like the Griffen, or fairys and winged dragons, werewolfs, vampires...There is no such thing...

-Jimmy-

[edit on 21-3-2007 by Jimmy910130]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
No offense, but you being a member of ATS and not believing in the paranormal is a complete waste of time. And I am interested in Wendigos, so I want to learn more about them.

[edit on 13/03/07 by MAD Hatt3r]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MAD Hatt3r
... Don't post off-topic crap on my threads again, and learn how to spell.

Here at ATS, you get "warned" for making personal attacks. Its okay to have friendly debates, but use your criticism for the person's post, not the actual person. By the way I'm almost done with your avatar so don't get banned before you can use it

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Lol sorry, just having a bad day.

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I don't see anything wrong with Mad Hatt3r's response. I believe he was polite. All he's asking is for more information not a skeptics opinion on what he believes in. We are all here to learn. I live in Ontario and have heard many stories about the Wendigo. Several Native American tribes in eastern Canada have stories about the Wendigo. Unfortunately I cannot give you any more information than any of the other postings.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
/bump

i'm curious now - never heard of a wendigo before. personally i'm of the strong opinion (as i'm sure 99% of us are) that this is just a folk story built over starvation hysteria, but it's still interesting to read up on :-)

Batty
xxx

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Most, if not all, of the northern North American tribes have stories of creatures resembling the Wendigo. All are very unfreindly, and involve cannibalism.

join