It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

tools : multi function or dedicated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 03:59 AM
link   
hi - i cannt help noticing in some of the equipment / tools threads , the hoary chestnut of :

should i have a single multi function tool , or 3 dedicate seperate tools

most recently - it has come up in the axe / hatchet / sholve threads

should a axe / hatchet be able to dig a hole , and have a hamer face ?

my tradition appoach has always been to have dedicated single use tols

cost and size of my tool box be dammed

but then i always used to have a service van and my own work bay - so size / weight etc was never an issue

in order to " squeeze " multipe functions into a single tool - some comprimise in preformance has to be made

but in a survival sit - esp if on fool / traveling lwt

you simply cannot carry an axe , a hammer and a shovel

my biggest nightmare is that with a " jack of trades " multi tool - if it is lost / dammeged beyond repair - you loose EVERYTHING

but with seperate dedicated tools - if you loose one - you can still attempt tasks with a combination of other tools

thoughts ?

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Interesting line of thought.
I'd say that you have to evaluate which tools can/should be combined to cut weight and which tools you should keep separate to minimize loss if lost/ damaged.
-> An axe can serve as Hammer as well, but to dig I'd take a small and lightweight folding spade in order to keep it transportable.
-> A multitool is good, but to have (for example) a Swiss Army knife as backup is better. So you can use one for dirty work and one for prepping food and if one is lost/damaged, you still have the other.

I guess there are other examples as well.

I hope, this makes sense.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
The main thing that I have found is that many multi-purpose tools tend to be cheaply made, and don't do ANY of the jobs well. On the other hand, you don't want the weight and bulk of carrying one of everything around. As long as the tool does the job well, I'd say go with the multi-purpose, but just read reviews and check it out before you buy one.

The one that I would definately recommend is a traditional "multitool" like a Leatherman, with knives, screwdrivers, files, saws, pliers, etc. Just make sure it is a good one where the blades actually lock into place when open.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
If one had to 'pack' one's survival gear into a one-man transport, then weight and space would be considerations, and the multi-use tool would be a better choice......but if you are situated in a permanent homestead, or have a larger 'wagon' to haul your belongings around, then the specific use tools would be my choice......

The right tool for the job allows me to 'work smarter, etc.' and conserves my energy......also cuts down on the chance that I will injure myself by using a tool that would be more akward to use and less suited to the job at hand. Both giving me a better chance to survive. ( I tend to be a bit clumsy, and have learned to keep that in mind for my best chance of survival, lol.)

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Well for me I have both kinds of tools but in various components of my systems. For instance In my pocet or fanny kit I have a muti-tool (not a cheap one mind you) but then as a component of My BOB bag car Kit and home kits I have full versions. Prepare for every contingency the best you can. My bob bag contains a took kit that contains an axe,shovel,saw,pliers, a few screwdrivers and some other various tools but If I need to go lightweight it is one of the first things that get dumped because the backup is two muti tools one in the bob and one in the small fanny.

I also tend to go a little heavy on the things that I carry in my truck simply for the fact that I dont have to carry that weight. But in the event I am placed into a survival situation and my truck is at hand I have the extra things. IF I had to abondon my truck I would probably hide or bury all those extras close buy with the hopes that I may be able to retrieve them at some point.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
some multi tools are not new or cheaply made the good old fence pliers i don't know a real pickup in Texas that isn't the home of one of these, hammer axe or hammer hatchet is a combo of ax and hammer that works very well some worry about hitting yourself in the face with the ax when hammering but hitting yourself in the face with a straight claw hammer claw is no picnic so be careful. the e-tool is a combo tool and if you sharpen one edge you have an axe shovel pick there are probably many more so you tell me.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Freebie learned in the field:

Screw e-tools, and their mothers. Right in the ear if at all possible.

Now, don't get me wrong, entrenching tools are all kinds of useful. They can do a ton of things- improvised axe (without sharpening), improvised hammer, improvised digging tool. Yes, I know they're meant to dig, but they suck at it. Going down any further than a shell scrape will make you want to cry. They're also fairly heavy, to the point where it's just better to have a shovel. Works better for the intended purpose, and it's an important purpose especially in the winter. Winter? Digging? a full sized shovel will save you a TON of grief.

Axes? Hatchets are pretty excellent, but bring along a full-sized axe just in case. If you can't haul it, stash it.

As for tools like screwdrivers, get a gerber multitool. They're issue up here, and they're brilliant. Every person on here should have a knife, multitool, and lighter on them at all times.

DE

top topics

join