It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is is possible to make lightning shoot upwards into space?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 12:21 PM
link   
if we could make lightning storms of a large magnitude, could we control them and make them shoot into space?

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Why would you want to?

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 12:28 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Text BlackLightning consist of stray electrons. These electrons are looking to be grounded. When you take into consideration the earths core (iron) and the field of flux, it would be near impossible to create a ground (opposite of electron's polarity) that would be more enticing than the earth. Instead, photons would be much better suited for this type of weapon, commonly known as the laser (Light Amplification by the Stimulated Effects of Radiation).

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArcAngel
Text BlackLightning consist of stray electrons. These electrons are looking to be grounded. When you take into consideration the earths core (iron) and the field of flux, it would be near impossible to create a ground (opposite of electron's polarity) that would be more enticing than the earth. Instead, photons would be much better suited for this type of weapon, commonly known as the laser (Light Amplification by the Stimulated Effects of Radiation).

very risky to do so... but if you are capable of creating a superconductor that attracts this charge...then technically, yes, you can send it off the other end in one hell of a spark.

i've created a 2000 volt terminal for science class last year, electrons went buzzing from the cathode to the anode...skipped along.. air

a sidenote: the thing emitted one hell of a spark first time round, i ended up burning all the wires and my transformer, i wasn't clever enough to figure i needed a fuse

answer being: if i was to make some1 hold one end of the graphite anode with his/her hand and i'd turn the bugger on, there's no doubt as to that person's fate

so it depends, you can always generate a lot more volts than lightning can, so why bother??

Cyrus

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 12:58 PM
link   
They shoot rockets.. (called as so(u?)nds..) up into the sky to make a lightning(s) strike..

That is when there is a 'thunder clouds' around..

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Lightning bolts that shoot up into space are called sprites, jets, and elves.

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
Lightning bolts that shoot up into space are called sprites, jets, and elves.

MAIS BRAVO!!!
holy #...i never knew that

(in shock)
and you are? introduce yourself please...

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 05:46 PM
link   
i was thinking maybe it could be used as a defence shield against incoming hostiles or as a wep against same thing incoming hostiles.

ie comets, meteors, asteroids, alien invasion, nukes etc etc....

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I figured that was where you were going with it, Blobby.

Lightning bolts are no different than what you see when you fool around with electricity and see an arc or spark; electrons flowing from higher to lower levels. The electrons are searching for holes.

With lightning, or sparking between your battery terminal and your jumper, or Cyrus' science project, the electrons are going from one point to another. To send a lighning bolt into space, what would be the target? I mean, what would be the elctrons' incentive for going that way? What holes would they be trying to fill?

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 07:08 PM
link   
In modern theory, electricity flows from negative to positive. Occasionally, lighting will come from the earth. It all depends on which side is more positive or negative.

This is a good link that explains the confusion. Although I know what the modern day theory is, I still think of current in the conventional way. It's easier to troubleshoot, IMO.

www.kpsec.freeuk.com...

This adds to the confusion...

positive charge flowing forwards is equivalent to negative charge flowing backwards

[Edited on 12-7-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 07:15 PM
link   
LOL! Yes, Satyr, technicians and engineers think opposite from one another! Is it from negative to positive or positive to negative?

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 11:55 PM
link   
In college, we were taught modern day theory, but practiced conventional. This is due mainly to the fact that modern day theory, while accepted as the latest theory, is not often accepted by old school electronics guys who actually work with circuits.

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Satyr, that happens so often in so many different areas nowadays...

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 11:03 AM
link   

i was thinking maybe it could be used as a defence shield against incoming hostiles or as a wep against same thing incoming hostiles.

I would think it a better idea to ionize a portion of the upper atmosphere into plasma, creating a force-field like effect...and/or use lasers to take out such targets (far more accurate, and easier to control than lightning)

Interesting info HR...I was aware of it, but that's some great info on the specifics...

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Satyr, that happens so often in so many different areas nowadays...

I'd be willing to bet that more electronics techs and engineers still use conventional theory. They're all set in their ways.

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 04:38 AM
link   
This was a recently discovered (past 10-15 years) as a result of observations made by the shuttle, and is supposed to be why they can pick up the radio signatures of lighting aon the other side of the world

join