It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killer squirrels....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
no joke.. its seems in Russia, squirrels attacked a dog and killed it in a matter of a few minutes. they say theres a low count of pine cones in that region which may have caused the critters to behave so violently to get their protein.

this makes me think twice about all little herbivores.

BBC news

While squirrels without sources of protein might attack birds' nests, he said, the idea of them chewing a dog to death was "absurd".

"If it really happened, things must be pretty bad in our forests"

EDIT it seems this is a report from bbc about pravda news:/ so not sure if its genuine....sorry

[edit on 25-12-2006 by Glyph_D]

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Damn little critters:

rofl, the BBC article sounds like it came straight from Pravda itself. Might be true, I suppose.
And if so, I don't think we have squirells down here, right?

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Squirrels out of control!!

but I can't see them eating a dog.

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Hmm interesting,

I wonder what kind of dog? Does sounds a little odd to say the least,

Would be interesting to see if theres any info out there on this kind of happening,

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Hmm interesting,

I wonder what kind of dog?

Ah, don't worry so much about it. The story originated from Pravda. So take it with a grain of salt.

2 cents

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   
He he, Pravda has such a wonderful reputation

Anyway, do a simple google search for "Attacking squirrel" and you´ll find plenty of stories about squirrels with agressive behavior, even attacking people. Still find it hard to believe that they attack in packs tho...

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I have a true story about attack squirrels. Even have witnesses.
A few years ago when I was living in Virginia Beach my 10 year old daughter brought in a baby squirrel that had been left when it's mother had crossed our street and been hit by a car. We took it out in the back yard to put it in a spare rabbit cage we had (my daughter had pet rabbits) and made it all cozy, got it water and food, etc. When my daughter took it out of the cage to pet it, the frightened little critter started squealing pitifully. Before we knew it several squirrels in our back yard began pelting us with nuts and bits of tree bark. It didn't hurt but it was a little disconcerting to see "lower level animals" acting in unison on behalf of one of their own. I decided that if the squirrels were dedicated enough to fight for one of their own that maybe one of them might be willing to "adopt" the orphan. We set the orphan squirrel down on the ground and went inside watching from the kitchen window to see what would happen. About 3 squirrels came down out of the trees to the baby squirrel (to fetch it I suppose) and the baby squirrel ran off with them. Can't say how it fared after that but I can verify that, on occasion, squirrels will (and do) attack even human beings.
I seriously doubt that squirrels would "chew a dog to pieces" but I no longer doubt that they are capable of "aerial assaults".

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   
People underestimate rodents, and often forget that the littel critters are omnivorous. Squirrels are a large threat to hole-nesting bird, even large ones like owls.

The idea of several squirrels bringing down a dog (a small dog) isn't terribly unbelievable. At least no more so than the idea of rats - a similarly sized rodent - doing the same.

But if we're talking labradors or something, well, that'd be like a housecat bringing down a water buffalo

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Perhaps it was a hotdog they ate

whitewave said:

When my daughter took it out of the cage to pet it, the frightened little critter started squealing pitifully. Before we knew it several squirrels in our back yard began pelting us with nuts and bits of tree bark.

My brother rescued a few motherless squirrels, one survived, my brother kept it in a cage for awhile, but absolutely had to let it go, it was too wild to be held behind bars.
Are they as dangerous as they are wild? Don't know but I sure like watching them and arguing with them,
"chit chit chit"
(yes I actually talk back!)

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I was walking home one night after an evening of drinking with some friends and noticed a group of squirrels hanging out on the corner.

I should have known something was up. The way they were all gathered in a circle by the street light smoking Winstons and passing a small bottle of walnut schnapps around...I should have known, I should have taken the situation seriously.

But those little leather jackets they were wearing were just so darn cute and through the haze of the alcohol the danger of the situation didn't register until it was too late.

The leader of the group approached me and asked for a dollar, which was ridiculous.

I mean really what's a squirrel gonna do with money other than blow it on more cigarettes and schnapps.

So I just waved him off, much the same way I do when a homeless otter rushes me at a stoplight while attempting to wash my wind shield.

Well needless to say that when i came to my wallet was gone and I smelled distinctly of squirrel urine, which I don't care what species you are, that's just petty.

I'm lucky to have escaped with my life.

Never trust a squirrel.

SPiderj

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Spiderj,

OMG! That was hilarious! I think I just peed a little.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Thanks ww, I does what I can.

Psychotic, killer squirrels are funny in a dark scary fuzzy sort of way.

It's too bad about the dog though.

Should have given the squirrells it's money really.

Spiderj

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Where I live the consensus among concerned experts is sexual postering may lead to problems. The aggressive squirrels are quite flamboyant. No sense of modesty remains within segments of the population. There have not yet been local instances of violence perpetrated against their larger mammalian cousins, however, it can only be a matter of time until tragedy strikes.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

One of the things I love to hunt is squirrels. I use a call to call them in. I can confirm they do attack with any thing they can throw at you. One of my favorite calls is baby squirrel in distress. works almost every time.

On hearing it the other squirrels will run out on branches and start yelling at ware the sound came from and start raining stuff down in the area. Its a easy matter of picking them off from that point. The funny thing is after about two shots they head for the hills, so to speak. I wait about 5 minutes and repeat previous calls. other then dodging a few well aimed nuts and pieces of bark ive never had to fight off any. I would have to see it to believe it.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I am off to bed so if anyone wants to search and bump it have a ball as such,

There was a threads out about the same time as this one was posted about Junkie Attack squirrels.

In parts of London where the crack and coc aine dealers hide the wraps out in the garden, so if the police raid them they can say "not mine Gov" well the squirrels had been digging up some of the wraps, and become addicted, getting very very aggressive and searching frantically for new ones...

Apparently even scaring off some very hard nosed Crack dealers from their own supply.

Its here somewhere,

Lol

Elf.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
THere is no newspaper with worse reputation in the world than New York Times. The rest of the world considers american journalism a joke. You should not mock anyone, as US is becoming new Soviet Union...joke is on you.

Pravda is just as reliable as ANY other media.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Pravda is just as reliable as ANY other media.

Mmmm well you are entitled to your opinion, but Pravda can be seen as being very unreliable and state influenced too...

Anyhow on my post above

If they are not launching themselves at you in drug-fuelled desperation, their bloodshot eyes are searching for their next fix, pink paws scrabbling in the ground. Sometimes they seize upon a rock of crack hidden in front gardens, and scarper to feed their addiction.

Squirrels in south London could have become addicted to crack coc aine, say residents of Brixton, who suggest the rodents have dug up drugs buried by dealers or nibbled residues of crack on pipes and vials discarded by addicts.

The Guardian UK

Source ok Anonymous? lol

Even though I find this disgusting, that humans ways affect wildlife soo badly, even turning them into junkies, it is a bit Funny though eh all Red blood shot eyes attacking people for their stash.

Kind regards,

Elf.

[edit on 1-12-2008 by MischeviousElf]

top topics

join