It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Squid Captured! VIDEO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   
VIDEO: GIANT SQUID CAPTURED

This is pretty amazing, this has gone from rumors and sightings by fishermen to the first still photo glimpse in 2005 to the live capture. There are things at the bottom of the sea that can only be imagined. It's truly the last frontier left on the planet.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I know NOTHING about Marine Biology but I always believed that the carcasses that wash up on shore of Giant Squid's are 4 or 5 times larger than that. Perhaps it's a different species than we have seen before, or maybe the narrator was correct in saying it was simply a juvenile.

Nevertheless good find!

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
That's a juvenile giant, alright. You can tell from the size of the carapace, or whatever, the distance from the eyes to the tail flukes, and the amount of body behind the eyes. I believe the next largest squid family, for average individual size, is the Humboldt, and it doesn't get to 3.5 meters, even in large adults.

This is the same group of researchers who got photo evidence of the giant squid in the same area last year.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   
There is a documentary (made a year old) out there with these guys trying to capture a live giant squid. I think some of the footage on the video is from their documentary. Pretty much they have been trolling the deep with bait and a camara trying to get one of these guys to bite. On the show that I saw the best they got was a tentacle, which was still moving when they pulled it on the boat. Congrats to them for finally getting a live one.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Pretty cool. I just finished reading the article on Yahoo! It's a shame that they had to kill it to capture it though. A live giant squid would obviously be much more interesting.

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 01:34 AM
link   
This one washed up on a beach in Tasmania in 2002, and though its larger tentacles were missing they believed it could have been anywhere up to 50ft in length. It apparently died after a violent mating session.

There have been 2 others wash up on beaches and 5 caught by fishing trawlers in Tasmania and they believe it may be a mating ground just off shore.

Interesting is that Tasmania is also home to the smallest squid.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Giant Squid are nothing now, its all about the Colossal Squid.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Gman

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Totally unrelated, but interesting nonetheless, is that this squid was caught in the same waters Bush Sr. was shot down in during WW2. Chichijima doesn't get a lot of press

join