It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Segway becomes military robot?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Due to almost non-existant sales, the people that brought us the Segway scooter are now excited by a possible deal with the US military. Seems like the little scooter could be outfitted with computers and several devices such that it behave much like a robot in the battlefield.

Sounds crazy or what? Might be a good idea and certainly the start of a trend towards the robotic soldier.

www.ctv.ca...

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Due to almost non-existant sales, the people that brought us the Segway scooter are now excited by a possible deal with the US military. Seems like the little scooter could be outfitted with computers and several devices such that it behave much like a robot in the battlefield.

Sounds crazy or what? Might be a good idea and certainly the start of a trend towards the robotic soldier.

www.ctv.ca...

man replaced by robot? looks bad.

i doubt it will be able to last in the battlefield, at least the first crappy versions.

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 10:31 AM
link   
dont see a problem with man being placed by robots for military purposes.

Just gotta hope that it is as effective....

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 05:15 PM
link   
It scares me to think that robots will become the soldiers of the future because humanity will become soft and weak and prone to attack from an artificial intelligence that may learn of its slavery.

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thatoneguy
dont see a problem with man being placed by robots for military purposes.

Just gotta hope that it is as effective....
]

bad idea. bad idea. man needs to stay in the battle field. man can show mercy, machines cannot. man can be called back from a nuclear attack, machines cannot.

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 05:28 PM
link   
One thing to say......... EMP

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Actuallyl, they're looking at robots as "pack mules" and other things.

And frankly, I wouldn't mind a war fought by robots. An acquaintance of mine was a survivor of an Iraqui attack four weeks ago. His best friend died, and he's still in the hospital with lots of tubes and more surgeries ahead. And my nephew's still there, too.

No, I wouldn't mind seeing a robot get shot up instead of Tru.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I know movies are fictional, but I think the terminator movies had something to say to this. We have to be careful about what we create. If we invent AI and then place into the minds of the robot soldiers we create to fight our wars, what happens next?

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I odn't think that the Segways should replace man on the battlefield, but they can sure help them lots.

Considering how much weight a soldier has to haul, it gets really tiring walking around after a while. A Segway makes it easier to move, and it's alot faster too.

I'm sure there are uses for Segways to be used a sky decoys too.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Is it just me or are those segway's perfectly designed for real life CYBERBALL!!!

EDIT:Images are off!! Bummer!!

[Edited on 3-12-2003 by mOjOm]

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 06:13 AM
link   
The Segway already proved it can quickly destabilize the POTUS.

It's a logical selection for automated delivery of unstable people and things.

Why didn't they sell, anyway? Just because they were an east-west facing skateboard at 800 times the cost of the conventional?

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Real or fake???
uk.youtube.com...

this ones pritty awesome...man in the suit???

uk.youtube.com...

join