It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photos from surface of Venus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Well if you did not know during the 1970s a Russian landers landed on the surface of Venus and took a few photos. I wanted to share them with you because I bet that many people have never guess that we have photos from the surface of a planet other than Earth and Mars.

Here are the photos.

[Edited on 26-11-2003 by jetsetter]

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I've never seen these before. I wish they were in color so we can see what color the sky is if that's the horizon in the second picture. It might just be a part of the lander though. On second look, it looks more like these were taken before it landed.

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I have seen color ones before and in those pics the sky is green and the ground is just a dirt brown color.

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Wow... thats amazing!

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I dont get how the second picture allows you to see the planets shape. (Circular) If you look to the top left you can see that it looks more like a satelitte photo than something that has landed on the planet. I just find it physically impossible for a photo like that to show the outline of the planet.

Understand what I am trying to say?

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 04:06 AM
link   
That's what I thought. It can't be from the surface unless the planet was really small. I think it was taken in orbit, or during decent.

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamz
I dont get how the second picture allows you to see the planets shape. (Circular) If you look to the top left you can see that it looks more like a satelitte photo than something that has landed on the planet. I just find it physically impossible for a photo like that to show the outline of the planet.

Understand what I am trying to say?

It is like that from the lens distortion. In order to get the horizon to horizon coverage you need a really wide angle lens which curves space horribly.

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 06:22 AM
link   
The rounding is a fish-eye effect by the lens.

There were four of these landers:

Venera 9, 10, 13 and 14. The two here are from Venera 9, I believe.

NOPE! DUMMY ME...they say right on the pics they are from Venera 14.

[Edited on 26-11-2003 by Valhall]

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Very cool, post some more if anyone has them!!!!!

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Venera 9 and 10 pics:

pages.preferred.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2003 @ 06:36 AM
link   
venera 13 pic

www.etsimo.uniovi.es...

join