It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warmer, Colder, no...wait...Warmer...er, Colder?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   
IMO this story is a perfect example of the difficulties of acurately predicting and modelling global climate trends. The earths bio-sphere is an incredibly large and complex system that defies acurate predictive modelling.

Arctic resists warming
RESEARCHERS: New patterns of cooling ocean currents, winds suggest region is struggling to keep its balance.

By ROBERT LEE HOTZ
Los Angeles Times

Published: November 17, 2006
Last Modified: November 17, 2006 at 02:31 AM

An international team of scientists reported Thursday that rising temperatures are steadily transforming the Arctic -- warming millions of square miles of permafrost, promoting lush greenery on previously arid tundras and steadily shrinking the annual sea ice.

Yet the researchers also found new patterns of cooling ocean currents and prevailing winds that suggested the Arctic, long considered a bellwether of global warming, may be reverting in some ways to more normal conditions not seen since the 1970s.

Complete Story

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Good post . . . plus you beat me to it.

It will be interesting to see if the Arctic cooling trend - or indications thereof - will continue.

I'm wondering as well if the hole in the ozone layer will become smaller.

So many things are interconnected, it's no small wonder that accurate weather forecasting is so difficult.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg
Good post . . . plus you beat me to it.

It will be interesting to see if the Arctic cooling trend - or indications thereof - will continue.

I'm wondering as well if the hole in the ozone layer will become smaller.

So many things are interconnected, it's no small wonder that accurate weather forecasting is so difficult.

Thanks Dawg.

My opinion is it's impossible to say what exactly is going to happen or to what extent human activities will contribute to the changes. We undoubtedly have some effect, but it's not quantifiable in relation to natural influences. What I firmly believe is we, and all of nature, are extremely adaptable... and adapt we will.

Nice chunk of tourqouise, or is it malachite?

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   

There is no Arctic cooling "trend". Anything you see to the contrary is most likely industry propaganda.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Turquoise.

Pretty stuff, sparkles nicely in the sunlight.

Lots of it around here, not always easy to find.

The local copper mine has a vein of Turquoise and I've seen sheets of it that measured about 1" thick, 10"-12" wide and about 2' long.

Seems like copper and turquoise go together, find one and you've probably found the other.

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

There is no Arctic cooling "trend". Anything you see to the contrary is most likely industry propaganda.

Maybe, but it did seem to be a fairly well balanced article.

And . . . some argue the other side of the coin that global warming is a grant winning device for scientists.

My opinion is that it's part of the earth's natural cycle of warming and cooling.

top topics

join