It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zombie Squirrels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 03:14 AM
link   
A report of meat eating squirrels was made in Russia a while back.Apparently a lone dog was wandering around and began to bark at the squirrels.Suddenly the squirrelzs descended,attacked,killed, and ate the dog.The squirrels were then scared off and eyewitnesses say that some of them ran off with little peices of meat in their mouths. Afterwards the dog was described by an eyewitness as of being "Gutted".Possible explanations to this carnivorous behavior is that the forests had none of the primary food sources of the squirrels such as pine cones. One eyewitness assumed that the squirrels were "agitated because of lack of food".
Look it up and tell me what you think.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 03:27 AM
link   
It's normally good to provide source material when making a claim for something like this.

Lucky for you, I have also heard about this.

Squirrels attack, kill and eat dog:
news.bbc.co.uk...
and
english.pravda.ru...

Squirrel attacks postal employee:
news.yahoo.com...
and
www.washingtonpost.com...

Squirrel terrorises town:
news.bbc.co.uk...

But I wouldn't go as far as to call them 'zombie' squirrels.
While this behaviour is unusual for squirrels to exhibet, they are rodents after all.

[edit on 5-11-2006 by Gear]

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   
thats pretty amazing if its true. i just hope it doent lead to people thinking its now ok to go out and shoot squirrels because that would be wrong. I cant beleieve they gutted it in a minute whenit takes a big animal a few hours to complety gut its kill. i think some people have been twisting the facts (not the poster of the topic i mean the eyewitnesses
)

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Well,I did see the word "pravda" so i must wonder if its true.

I damn well hope not-my dog loves chasing squirrels,and i don`t want to have to fork out on a set of squirrel proof armour for him.

Grusome though,reminds me of the giant gangs of marauding teens in some of our UK cities-One or two ain`t a problem-10 or more are a big problem for any adult if they like the look of your phone...

Mob rule,squirrel style.
Maybe the dog had eaten their nuts.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
This was discussed here before. Although I don't have time to find the link and post it.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Nowhere in the credible sites does it say anywhere that the squirrels ate the dog, but simply killed it.

Birds and squirrels (And most other animals ranging from moose to fish) will attack any other animal passing by at certain times, specificially mating or when looking after young. My guess is that the dog wandered into a place where a bunch of squirrels had babies and they all attacked at once, the dog tried to fight back, and the squirrels got lucky and hit an artery or something.

Don't come to conclusions that squirrels are zombies just because they defend themselves. Then again, this is the second very non-credible post I have seen by Alias54 today.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Well,I did see the word "pravda" so i must wonder if its true

I understend very well what you mean with that, but... if Pravda would be just a BS place full of crap, don't you think BBC news would know that even better then us!??,,,if they report about a pravda source, they must respect the place as a possible true source, don't you think?...normaly BBC is not stupid to quote BS sources.

Anyway, if this is realy true, i think it's quite disturbing!

[edit on 8-11-2006 by Umbra Sideralis]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 02:15 AM
link   
"zombie squirrrel" != "carnivorous, starving squirrel"

how you came to the conclsion that these squirrels are the living dead is beyond me. then again, so are most of the proposed "theories" on this site.

into the heap this thread goes.

[edit on 11/9/2006 by prototism]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Squirrels are vicious little buggers, it's no surprise that they killed a dog.

Has anyone had a squirrel trapped in their house before? I have, and the guy that came to catch it wore armor around his neck because they attack when threatened.

Like any other animal, they feel threatened when confronted, some run off, some play dead, some attack.

Nothing unusual about it.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 04:11 AM
link   
A few things strike me.
First, these squirrels were not cornered. I am sure we have all sen squuirrels run up a tree, when chased by a dog, and then come half way down the tree to scold the dog.
They were not cornered, and so, I can't look at that as a reason.
Also, they said that this was a "big" dog.
Big for me means the dog if at normal weight would have been at least 50 lbs. The dog was killed in "under a minute" I believe the story said. Maybe about a minute.
This was in Russia, and this is a stray dog. One would assume that the dog was a thick coated breed of dog, simply because the likeyhood of a short coat dog surviving is small, depending of course what the temps are when this occured, and I am afraid I forgot to look at at the date given, if there was one.
Now, I would suppose it is possible that a weakened dog in a debilitated condition could b killed by a pack of squirrels, but a weak, debilitated dog doesn't take the time to bark at squirrels.
So there you have a probably heavy coated dog.
Biting the carotid or jugular would indeed cause a fast death, but consider this, it is NOT a very easily accessable vein. Popping a jug vein is difficult when you know what you are doing (Running an IV in the jugular when the fore and rear legs are too small or collapsed).
Also, the fur, AND the skin of the neck of canines are thicker and tougher than anywhere else on the body.
I don't know what happened, but there are a few fishy things I have found, without thinking about it, because I can't think because I am dog tired.
(Pun intended)
Enough rambling, I have to get some sleep

join