It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC vs Apple Mac - Which is better?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 01:08 PM
link   
ahh yes, the Pc vs Mac question. if I had to choose, I'd go with a PC running a *nix distro. I must admit though, XP with an NTFS partition is extremely more stable than any of it's FAT counterparts. If it werent for my damn gaming addiction I'd stick with *nix only on a PC. They do make versions of *nix though that run on MAC based machines.

DM: I would go for Mandrake if you want easily configured out of the box stuff. If you want a speedy *nix distro I'd go with Gentoo. everything is compiled from source, the downside to that is the install can take anywhere from 6 - 24 hours.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 01:12 PM
link   
dang, will that install of on a OLD 2gb HD? only spare one i got, but it harldy ever been used, its a backup on my old compaq box

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 01:15 PM
link   
yeah, you should be able to get a new distro on there, if you choose a minimal install. or a custom install.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 01:39 PM
link   
You might atleast go somewhere and check out the Mac, it has a really sweet OS. Kind of like Cameron Diaz sweet-well maybe not that sweet. I also have a pc running windows 98 2e but I sleep with my mac man.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Tg, try installen win 2000 or xp on that win 98se box 98 sucks

what mac and what spec pc u got?

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I've tried both. I have a pc now and I think it's a tad more difficult than Mac.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Personally, I love my PCs even though they can be a bit difficult at some times, lacking standards, being a bitch in general. I've used Macs at school, though the school induces major limitations, I think I can say I don't like them. I need something that's flexible and I can manipulate easily. For the average home user a Mac would be perfect. But a Windows based PC will work too if you take certain precautions (organization for each user, large enough HD, virus/ firewall software)... As for games, just wait the little while for this to load... CLICKY

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Which one do you already have the software for? Which one is similar to machines at work/school?

They're both very good choices. I have IBMs simply because there aren't any Macs at work or school and I need to take files between work, school, and home.

Go with one you can afford.

who

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 07:07 PM
link   
This is totally opinion, get what you are familiar with. I have both, mac is more stable and my pc is faster, easier to use, and has more software support. The mac can render 3D animation better than my PC could ever hope to. I run a G5 mac with 1.5 gig ramm, and one PC is a dual Athlon MP 2800 machine with 3 gig PC2700 ramm, my gaming machine is an athlon 3000 barton. I like them all, totally depends on what you are doing with them. Gaming, annimation, movies, etc.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Professional graphics people seem to go for Macs, and geeks for Linux, but Windows has the most diverse application base.

zdnet.com.com...=zdfd.newsfeed

Matthew Szulik, chief executive of Linux vendor Red Hat, said on Monday that although Linux is capable of exceeding expectations for corporate users, home users should stick with Windows: "I would say that for the consumer market place, Windows probably continues to be the right product line," he said. "I would argue that from the device-driver standpoint and perhaps some of the other traditional functionality, for that classic consumer purchaser, it is my view that (Linux) technology needs to mature a little bit more."

<< 1  2   >>

join