It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six year old brings gun to school

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Hang Him!!!!!!!!!!!
Six years old and already on the path to destruction.

He deserves the worst, because he obviously intended to do serious harm and hurt many people.

www.wgal.com...

Womack said a school official told her that the gun was a weapon and that a girl saw it and reported to the teacher that Tawann had a weapon. That caused the school to suspend the child for a mandatory 10 days.

Since Tawann was suspended on Monday, the first-grader's story has caught the attention of many across the country. Community activists voiced their opinions on the issue.

"The code of conduct, as it stands for this school year, will remain," said Phyllis Budesheim of the Kansas City, Mo., School District.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   

On Monday, the first grader was suspended for bringing a two-inch plastic squirt toy to school.

I am not sure how much harm he planned on doing with a squirt gun...but I am sure it would have been minimal.

Hang Him!!!!!!!!!!!
Six years old and already on the path to destruction.

I assume you are being sacrastic

[edit on 9/25/2006 by pstiffy]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I can't freaking believe this!

What is wrong with people??? Adults! Intelligent school professionals! WTF has happened here?

There's no excuse for this. The mother lost her job!
People are getting more stupid every day. That's the only possible explanation. :shk:

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Another asenine example of our new society at work.

The mother lost her job??? Imagine, the nerve, allowing her little kid to have a plastic squirt gun!!!!!!

What a disgrace.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
We have all heard of similar stories. You know, ridiculous tales of little first grade boys being suspended for kissing little first grade girls -- sexual harrassment.

Then there are the suspensions because an elementary school child was found carrying a "dangerous weapon" -- a fingernail clipper.

And who can possibly allow high school children to walk the halls of their "zero drug tolerence" schools with tylenol in their posession? These are all signposts on the road to total anarchy I tell you!

When was common sense officially pronounced dead?

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Does anyone else remember the good old days; you know when kids actually got to be kids? A six year old expelled over a squirt gun his mother losing her job I'd say outrageous but that doesn't even begin to cover it.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Yes but the good old days also included people bringing frogs to school.

The harsh reality is that people do bring guns to school.

A Time Line of Recent Worldwide School Shootings

Fayetteville, Tenn. One student killed in the parking lot at Lincoln County High School three days before he was to graduate. The victim was dating the ex-girlfriend of his killer, 18-year-old honor student Jacob Davis.
May 21, 1998
Springfield, Ore. Two students killed, 22 others wounded in the cafeteria at Thurston High School by 15-year-old Kip Kinkel. Kinkel had been arrested and released a day earlier for bringing a gun to school. His parents were later found dead at home.
June 15, 1998
Richmond, Va. One teacher and one guidance counselor wounded by a 14-year-old boy in the school hallway.
April 20, 1999
Littleton, Colo. 14 students (including killers) and one teacher killed, 23 others wounded at Columbine High School in the nation's deadliest school shooting. Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, had plotted for a year to kill at least 500 and blow up their school. At the end of their hour-long rampage, they turned their guns on themselves.
April 28, 1999
Taber, Alberta, Canada One student killed, one wounded at W. R. Myers High School in first fatal high school shooting in Canada in 20 years. The suspect, a 14-year-old boy, had dropped out of school after he was severely ostracized by his classmates.
May 20, 1999
Conyers, Ga. Six students injured at Heritage High School by Thomas Solomon, 15, who was reportedly depressed after breaking up with his girlfriend.
Nov. 19, 1999
Deming, N.M. Victor Cordova Jr., 12, shot and killed Araceli Tena, 13, in the lobby of Deming Middle School.
Dec. 6, 1999
Fort Gibson, Okla. Four students wounded as Seth Trickey, 13, opened fire with a 9mm semiautomatic handgun at Fort Gibson Middle School.
Dec. 7, 1999
Veghel, Netherlands One teacher and three students wounded by a 17-year-old student.
Feb. 29, 2000
Mount Morris Township, Mich. Six-year-old Kayla Rolland shot dead at Buell Elementary School near Flint, Mich. The assailant was identified as a six-year-old boy with a .32-caliber handgun.
March 2000
Branneburg, Germany One teacher killed by a 15-year-old student, who then shot himself. The shooter has been in a coma ever since.
March 10, 2000
Savannah, Ga. Two students killed by Darrell Ingram, 19, while leaving a dance sponsored by Beach High School.
May 26, 2000
Lake Worth, Fla. One teacher, Barry Grunow, shot and killed at Lake Worth Middle School by Nate Brazill, 13, with .25-caliber semiautomatic pistol on the last day of classes.

www.infoplease.com...

Look closely,

Feb. 29, 2000
Mount Morris Township, Mich. Six-year-old Kayla Rolland shot dead at Buell Elementary School near Flint, Mich. The assailant was identified as a six-year-old boy with a .32-caliber handgun.

Don't get me wrong, the teachers were wrong here. They overreacted and obviously common sence had escaped them, but teachers are at risk every day they go to work. When a threat comes up, it has to be dealt with. Next time you would hope they show alittle bit of common sence, but at the same time nothing can be taken lightly.

Edit: Removed several dates from the quote. Too long, save the Mod the trouble. View the link for the complete List please.

[edit on 25-9-2006 by chissler]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Chissler you make good points and I will agree that threats have to be dealt with but common sense also has to apply. In this case common sense was absent.

By the way what is wrong with taking a frog to school?

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I'm glad that it was understood that my first post was made in jest. And I'm glad to see that everyone so far has had enough sense to tell the difference between caution and absurdity.

However I will say that the problem of school shootings is a real one. But the whole "zero tolerance" thing is a bit stupid IMO. If someone is in posession of a gun, isn't that already illegal? And expelling someone from school on those grounds doesn't eliminate the threat, but causes a bigger one by further alienating an already antisocial individual.

Denying someone education is never a good answer. For one, it's not really a punishment for the student (time out of school), and it causes a further societal problem of a possibly dangerous kid being ignored by one of the institutions that has the ability to help him.

Let me tell you my story:

I was a senior in High School, and already an outsider. One of my fellow outcasts, through no fault of his own, ended up talking to a girl who really liked him. He was a sophomore, and the girl was the ex-girlfriend of a member of the football team. He was abusive to her, and most everyone else.

When Eddie (football player) found out Paul (nicknamed scrawny paul) was talking to his ex, he flipped and threatened hi with his life, with the backing of his football chums. I doubt he would have killed him, but he definately wasn't safe from a massive beating.

Paul told me, and, beingthe genius that I was, confronted Eddie and told him to back off or something bad would happen. I had a set of nunchucks that I carried with me, and a genius buddy of mine thought it would be a good idea to clarify what I meant for Eddie.

Big Eddie wassmart enough to know that it would be more damaging to me to tell the powers that be, and have me kicked out, and he was right. I was cought with a weapon in school, and expelled. Believe me, I know that there were much better ways to handle the situation but I smoked a lot of # and wasn't as wise as I am now.

In any event, I was kicked out of school, and had no desire to continue. I was only 2 credits shy, but couldn't care less if I ever got a diploma. Lucky for me one of my teachers cared. He grabbed me one day while I was hanging out on Thayer street (a local hooligan hangout) and told me to meet with him for coffee. When we met, he sat down and said he would meet with me for coffee twice a week, and finish the history and English credits that I needed to graduate. It was more fun than school, and I had more freedom of thought. It made me appreciate learning, and strive for more.

Lucky for me, there was someone who saw potential, and couldn't see it lost. I wonder how many teachers would be willing to do the same? I wonder how many students were kicked out, and just didn't have anyoe to pull them back.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Let me tell you my story:

I was a senior in High School, and already an outsider. One of my fellow outcasts, through no fault of his own, ended up talking to a girl who really liked him. He was a sophomore, and the girl was the ex-girlfriend of a member of the football team. He was abusive to her, and most everyone else.

When Eddie (football player) found out Paul (nicknamed scrawny paul) was talking to his ex, he flipped and threatened hi with his life, with the backing of his football chums. I doubt he would have killed him, but he definately wasn't safe from a massive beating.

Paul told me, and, beingthe genius that I was, confronted Eddie and told him to back off or something bad would happen. I had a set of nunchucks that I carried with me, and a genius buddy of mine thought it would be a good idea to clarify what I meant for Eddie.

Big Eddie wassmart enough to know that it would be more damaging to me to tell the powers that be, and have me kicked out, and he was right. I was cought with a weapon in school, and expelled. Believe me, I know that there were much better ways to handle the situation but I smoked a lot of # and wasn't as wise as I am now.

In any event, I was kicked out of school, and had no desire to continue. I was only 2 credits shy, but couldn't care less if I ever got a diploma. Lucky for me one of my teachers cared. He grabbed me one day while I was hanging out on Thayer street (a local hooligan hangout) and told me to meet with him for coffee. When we met, he sat down and said he would meet with me for coffee twice a week, and finish the history and English credits that I needed to graduate. It was more fun than school, and I had more freedom of thought. It made me appreciate learning, and strive for more.

Interesting story and thanks for sharing. You've touched on something that I think may be a catalyst in some of these situations. We've seen time and time again the issue of bullying but the heart of the matter is never discussed. I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that a lot of the bullying is typically related to those involved with sports. Now before every jock gets their panties in a knot let me explain.

Schools, without question, set sports and athletes on a higher pedestal than most other if not all other school activities. Just look at any school these days. Who typically gets a lot of attention fund wise and who typically benefits the most. Look at scholarships and pro sports initiatives for those involved. School sports is huge no question and theres absolutely nothing wrong with that. Whats wrong is making athelets think they are more important than say some kid who joins a lesser known club or some other actvity. Sure this is common and really nothing new but it enforces my thought that creating an environment whereby athletes reign supreme others will undoubtely feel pressured and isolated. Columbine I believe was, amongst other things, a bullying issue involving those non sports oriented and those sports oriented.

My point here is that schools need to look very closely at how those in sports programs treat those not in sports programs. I saw this firsthand when I went to school. In fact I had a personal incident that involved an individual who stole something from me an later was found with the stolen item. He confessed and I was basically told to shutup given the status of this high profile student(top athlete btw). This was also a catholic school to boot. Does it mean anything to me personally. Not really the guy was a turd blossom and the school just showed their true colors. What it showed me was that there are priorities and the feelings of some don't really matter when it comes to athletes and smearing the schools pride and image.

brill

top topics

join