It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In the event of a nuclear war, what would you do?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I've made a rule that says 20% of my spending at the supermarket will be dedicated to survival goods.
Bottled water
Canned food
First aid
Water purification items

Still have no guns or ammo, but I'm working on it.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Well i would crack open a bottle of champange and go out in the big bang. But should i be unfortuante enough to survive of course i would steal, lie and fight my corner to survive. But i would really prefer being taken out in the inital flash and bang. Much quicker way to die if you have to die, mind you i would rather die in bed peacefully than in a nuclear war, so i hope it never happens. I have lived throught the 1970's and 1980s and through the era of Threads and The Day After to chill me to the bones !

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
This is the saddest aspect of the whole scenario. Most people think they're going out in a bright flash. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The VAST majority of people are going to survive the initial blast. And the majority are going to survive for quite some time after --- survive being the key word.

The most likely scenario will be a terrorist getting their hands on a warhead from another country's nuclear arsenal. Most of these warheads are in the 250kt range. Single megaton warheads were from the early Cold War years (50's-60's) and have disappeared. They're too old now to be reliable. Current megaton weapons get their yield from multiple warheads.

Go Here and see what the effects would be in your area. Anyone outside the 0.25 psi distance will be outside the immediate blast and thermal radiation effects.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanstheman

Originally posted by ubermunche
Try for a quick shag, failing that a bar of chocolate, then go out to meet the blast.

I don't think I'd want to survive.

Very cute you've taken care of the first ten minutes-and only if it's a big chocolate bar. But seriously put yourself in that scenario. Could you feed and protect your family? Not everyone will be incinerated, most will survive the initial attack, how will you survive after? I can assure you that the people who are well prepared are not going to be handing out freebies.

Sorry to sound flip earlier but I live 10 miles downriver from central London, there's a very high density population I'm on the second floor of a block of flats with no cellar, have no weapons or access to them and even if I and the property survived the initial attack and I had reserves of food it would take minutes for the place to be over run once the starving hordes took to the streets in search of food. My chances of survival are better if I were one of them I think.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join