It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft DRM HACKED

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Microsoft tackles anti-copy hole

This is the second time I am posting this... the first time 'wecomeinpeace' deleted my thread because it provided links to both the hack utility and the forum where the hacker was bragging about it... but nonetheless... it has since made BBC news.

The file name is Fairuse4wm

And the entity that seems to know about using it goes by the name viodentia at Doom9's forum.

Microsofts digital rights management (DRM) is what makes certain audio/video available to all but readable only by those that pay. DRM has long been critisized by the tech community as unfair technology that makes certain hardware instantly obsolete and fails to really protect anything.

There is plenty out there on why DRM is evil; check it out on google.

Sri Oracle

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Cheers for the information

But it might still be better to remove the file name and the forum name.On the other side i knew it was only a matter of time before this happened
Ccant wait for vista to get the same scrutiny as well from the hacker community.

I somehow think MS is going to get it bigtime with Vista, im sure that will be a flop and hurt them really bad .

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Well in my opinion all the hackers done is to make something that was completely unusable usable.

DRM helps nobody it wont prevent piracy and means legitamite customers cant use the files on their devices of choice. In this case for example now people on linux like myself could actually view or listen to it not that I'd want to use microsofts format anyways personally.

Theres a lot of bad about DRM and the way it's restricting fair use look at the whole sony rootkit example how many computers where ruined or crippled and many still probably are. How many people are playing jerky files and not realising it's the DRM in the background using all the cpu and not the file or computer itself causing the problems.

I'm not advocating piracy I just believe low quality DRM files will ultimately push people towards cleaner illegal versions they can use on their mp3 players or other devices of choice and still believe people should be able to make backups of cd/dvd media given how prone it is to the slightest scratching.

The end arguement is if someone can see or hear something they can copy it DRM makes no difference all it does is restrict honest customers.

I could probably go on at this topic for quite a while but I'll leave it at the basics i think.

new topics

join