It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monongahela Monster

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by imbalanced
So if it was recently alive then all of the minerals and such would have not "created" a fossil. If that is the case then it would be bone, hence it could be proven real.

The sea water would of dissolved it by now surely?

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:43 PM
link   
No way ! Seawater ?
I am no expert but I am pretty sure that bones stick around longer then that.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
or at least page 8

The Times, Wednesday, Mar 10, 1852; pg. 8; Issue 21059; col A

Capture Of The Sea Serpent.

Article CS134383210.

at great personal expense and peril
-- i have located a microfiche of the times -- and prepared copies

adobe acrobat file(4pages)

zipfile(separate images)

quality is " as is " but it is fully readable .

i am zonked after a hard day , so comment on it will have to wait , suffice to say , it does little to convince me of the veracity of the origional story

the context of where it is printed in the times does not really come out in the files i have uploaded .

but page 8 of that issue is letters and " submissions from correspondants "

here is the top of page 8 for context :

image flie p8

imho , its printed " as recieved " not as a times news story

hope this helps - enjoy

[edit on 2/8/06 by JAK]

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 01:22 AM
link   
can you please put on a site which does not require registering !
Ill even post it on my site if you send it to me.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Luckily I'm a librarian and have online access to the times, I'm afraid I can't breach copyright by posting the article but the person who found it on microfische has the same one.

Most interesting is that I find no mention of the Monongahela sinking. The article concerning the capture was written on the boat by the captain and sent to the Times aboard another boat the "Gipsy" under Captain Sturges.

I've found numerous other refrences to the Monongahela but none of it returning to port or being wrecked, neither can I find any reports on Cpt. Sturges. Neither are there follow up reports about the monster.

So.Facts.

A ship called the Monongahela existed.
Someone claiming to be Captain Sturges of the Gipsy claimed to have encountered the Monongahela and taken a letter from its captain to the Times.

As the Times does not continue the story it is impossible to assertain any other facts regarding the sea serpant or its capture, nor is it possible to asscertain wether it went down with the ship, or wether the ship itself went down.

Certainly ships called the Monongahela are reported later that year but it is impossible to conclude wether these are the same ships that encountered the monster.

Similarly, Captain Seabury existed but is never tied to the Monongahela exept in this article, so whether he is a creation by sturges ( who may also be a creation of another hoaxer ) or simply one amoungst many Seabury's ( a fairly common name for a seafarer ) cannot be substantiated.

Certainly the Times carries no subsequent articles on the creature arriving at port.

hope that helps.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Lupe101: Have you evern recorded a song and listened to it or made a copy for a friend, or maybe sing the song "Happy Birthday" ? You have broken copyright laws if you did.

Thanks to ignorant_ape we have the files on the net for all to view:

www.photonmimic.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   
You don't understand. I specifically can't breach the specific copyright access I have to the article by copying it and posting it on a public domain.
You can get hold of the article legally as its freely available to the public but I can't present it using the route I use to access documents from the BL.

On that note, if it's usefull to anyone here I can access pretty much any article ever written ( although certain documents take longer and are more of a hassle ) I'm happy to do this and, depending on the copyright issues of the specific piece post the information here.

Please bare in mind though, if you really absolutely must have a scan of some ancient tome from the vatican, I can do it but you'd need a pretty damn good reason before I'd go to that sort of trouble. I ~do~ have a job.

Just an offer if people ever need something validated / tracked down.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 11:56 PM
link   
sorry for the lashout Lupe101 wasnt using my brain....think its the heat.
Anyhows thats great to know. I think it would be amazing to have that much
knowledge at your fingure tips, i mean google is good....but a not as good as
that.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Nice so it is real, shame they don't send copies of the Documents for free :/

<< 1   >>

join