It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grizly-Polar Bear new bear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Hi guys new species found

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I wonder what Colbert will have to say on this...

...besides "kill it", I mean...

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Naturally, a group of fools had to kill it.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 01:11 AM
link   
A group of fools?
They payed $45,450 to hunt a bear.
I say let them keep it, if you payed that much to kill something then you better get to keep it.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Interesting story
I guess, in this case, Bears is Bears.
Looks like "Gentle Ben" prefers blondes.

Originally posted by The Anti Chris
A group of fools?
They payed $45,450 to hunt a bear.

$45,450?
What a waste of good money, and a good bear.

[edit on 13-5-2006 by spacedoubt]

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Anti Chris

A group of fools? They payed $45,450 to hunt a bear.

I say let them keep it, if you payed that much to kill something then you better get to keep it.

I do not care what they paid. There is a group of people in the world who are hell-bent on killing everything on four legs. Rare animals seem to be particularly attractive to this group.

Blood sports are disgusting. The people who participate in them are barbaric.

Do not bother to insult or attack me. After I have posted this I will not revisit this thread. I am not interested in the excuses and epithets that are guaranteed to appear here.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
The BBC cover it here.
I have to say that I entirely agree with Bibliophile ...

Not though about just using a camera fella's ?

Maybe not as exciting as hunting down and then killing a wild animal for entertainment from half a mile away with a rifle, but you know, when there is only ants, cockroaches and rats to look at maybe it'll make a bit more sense.

Ranting aside, I wonder if this will become more common as the habitats change and compress. Aren't Ursus maritimus pretty the newest of the bears anyway, maybe making them more genetically flexible maybe - perhaps more like a sub-species ?

Poor bear ...

[edit for added bear sympathy]

[edit on 13-5-2006 by 0951]

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I'm willing to pay 1 million dollars to hunt "the Anti Chris" Does that mean I should be allowed to hunt him, kill him, mount him and stuff him? At the very least the body would be taken from me.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   
That is as the article states a hybrid, not a new spieces...for that to be the case it would have to reproduce true...i.e. its offspring would have to have the same traits as its parents. Hybrids are fairly common, the donkey and jackass producing a mule is the one that comes immediately to mind...but in that case they are usually sterile, there are rare occurances of mules breeding but then their offsprings are generally retarded in some way and sterile to boot. New spiecies rarely crossbreed, it could evolve into a new variety of bear, but a new spiecies probably not...though as the eco-system changes we will see an accelleration of evolutionary changes in spieces. It is by the way this idea of acceleration and deceleration of evolution as proposed by stephen jay gould and others as opposed to a steady pace of change as proposed by darwin that is the source of funnymentalist claims that there areflaws in the theory which is simply a misreading of the lit. much like they do the bible...hunt and peck.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   
climate change may be accelerating the process but its also natural phenomenon.
www.science.psu.edu...

Previous research had focused either on a single species in a habitat that allowed individuals to move from one population to another, or on different species whose lives are somehow intertwined, such as two species that share a common predator. The researchers say their study is the first using both local and global weather data to show cross-species synchrony in species that have no direct contact with each other and that share nothing in common except for the effect on their local weather of a large-scale climate system.

it's like the 'hyote' case posted somewhere on ATS, or this ; Effects of habitat preferences and competition with coyotes on introgression and extinction in red wolves.

hybrid or not , paying 50 000$ to kill a bear is nut, even for free

my two polazzly paws

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
id try to catch it now kill it

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
UPDATE: This was covered on channel 5 recently. Apparently DNA tests confirm it is a grizzly-Polar Hybrid with about 90% probability

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Considering that most bears only have one or two cubs, this was probably one of the only hybrids occuring naturally in nature...and they shot it.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I guess another question would be how adaptable would such a thing be could it live in both enironments for example; the program I watched said it could survive in the polar region and has lived off of seals and fish

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Bibliophile

ah , so much for discussion - you have thrown your insults and run away - bravo

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by Bibliophile

ah , so much for discussion - you have thrown your insults and run away - bravo

What are you talking about?

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The hunting lifestyle takes me by surprise.

I've hunted, and I've enjoyed the thrill of the chase, but whenever i have done so, I did it for survival, me and my group ate and survived.
We thanked the prey for keeping us alive.

On the other hand, I cannot understand why someone pays thousands to kill something wild, a link in the chain of life, just for the kick of it, that excuse they use to justify themselves, its to control the populations, if they have the money to do it then by all means, just isn't coherent to me.

I would understand if they went and killed it with a knife, or a home made bow and arrow, but they use semi automatic rifles with military grade scopes and ammunition.
What thrill is there to be found whenever the shot is fired?
I cannot understand.

We impose our own limits, just because we can, should not mean we have to.

Would that you could live on the fragrance of the earth, and like an air plant be sustained by the light. But since you must kill to eat, and rob the young of its mother's milk to quench your thirst, let it then be an act of worship, And let your board stand an altar on which the pure and the innocent of forest and plain are sacrificed for that which is purer and still more innocent in many. When you kill a beast say to him in your heart, "By the same power that slays you, I to am slain; and I too shall be consumed. For the law that delivered you into my hand shall deliver me into a mightier hand. Your blood and my blood is naught but the sap that feeds the tree of heaven."

source

join