It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global flooding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Isn't all the ice in the world melting? If so then we'll all get flooded. I need opinions on whether or not you think the world is flooding.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
It luckily doesn't go that fast

But we're probably in trouble in about 10 years.
Especially people like me (live near the coast in the Netherlands)

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Melting sea ice does not raise water levels. Melting land ice does. Even under the most pessimistic worst case scenarios all the land ice does not melt, so the amount of fresh water added to the oceans is far less than most people think.

Most of the rising sea level will be from thermal expansion of the water.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   
It's my opinion that the world is not flooding, although there seems a concerted campaign by the powers-that- be to *persuade* us that sea levels are rising at alarming rate.

Last night, I read that scientists at an Australian university dispute absolutely the global-warming claims of governments and what were described as their lackey scientific experts. The Australian scientists stated that the most recent spate of global-warming ended in 1998 ... and claimed that governments were well aware of this. All of which is very reassuring, yes?

As to why governments would use the prostituted mass media to broadcast false claims regarding global-warming/imminent coastal flooding .. there are probably numerous reasons. I won't go into them, here and now, because I'm not in the mood at the moment for agenda-driven attacks from those roving bands of head-bangers who prowl forums desperately seeking anyone who points a finger at their masters.

Suffice to say, the mass media cannot be trusted. The mainstream media is largely owned and operated by zionist thugs with expensive pace-makers, capped teeth, Anglicised surnames, bobbed noses and brains consisting mostly of the stuff chiropodists remove from under people's toenails. Mainstream media is in the business of lying to you and trying to scare you on hourly basis with rubbish concocted by Dick Cheyney's junior office staff.

The claims about 'global flooding' are part of an agenda which intends to 'flood' western nations with fast-breeding, third world citizens, via claims those third world nations are being subjected to starvation and hardship via the alleged 'global flooding/alarmingly rising sea levels' which --- allegedly --- are destroying 'their native villages and livlihood'.

When I have time, I'll try to find the article by the Australian scientists and will post it here for you to read. In fact, I think I might have read it on *Melbourne Indymedia*. I think you'd find it to be an interesting and reassuring read.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
.....(live near the coast in Netherlands). So what about here in cente\ral Florida and the rest of Florida?

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Hi Spidy ... the racecar thing is cute :-)

When I was young, the media was warning that in a quarter of a century, the world would be so over-populated that everyone on the planet would be standing shoulder to shoulder with their faces raised as high as possible in order to grab a lung-full of air ! There was actually an artist's sketch, illustrating this nonsense. But I believed it .... because it was written in the newspapers. And in those days, I believed that newspapers *had* to tell the truth.

I panicked when I read the 'truth' about the worrisome over-population problem. My 'solution' consisted of mandatory death for everyone over the age of 45. I told my parents that this is the way it would have to be, sadly for them. They laughed. Just as I laugh now when I remember the media's ridiculous claims about the future when I was a child.

It's the same with the 'global flooding' scaremongering. Don't let it get to you. Life's too short for worrying about things that may never happen. Ninety percent of your worries will never eventuate. One day you'll look back and laugh at the global flooding stories. And by then, the media will have given you thousands of other 'life and death' scares. They want to get you hooked on pointless anxiety so they can manipulate you and sell you their poisonous 'anti anxiety' pills. You will die of old age. The world will not flood

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I wasn't panicking but thanks for the advice

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
All of this shows that you shouldn't look to the general media for scientific information.

The consensus amoung scientists is that global warming is occuring. The consensus amoung scientists is that CO2 is a greenhouse gas that traps heat.

There isn't quite a consensus amoung all scientists about the warming being man-made, though a large part of that is because of the politicization of the science, I suspect.

Anyway, the studies that have been done on the ice have shown that many are melting, some aren't, and others are actually growing. If all the ice at the poles melts, then there'd be a really large increase in sea levels, ie massive flooding (over however long it takes).

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
No one really knows if it's warming up or cooling down, because we, the humans have little weather data(a few hundred years only ) against many many formulas to predict weather

But if you ask anyone they will all give you an answer, for example, if you ask to a pro-eco-green-human he/she will say "it's warming" if you ask to pro-oil-Carbon-human he/she will say "it's cooling/it's the same as it was", it's only a matter of opinion, people tend to choose sides, this subject it's not different

To finish, let me tell you all one thing, when, the weather information is given to you, the meteo people, only now for sure 3 days!!ONLY, beyond that is science fiction. Like they say it's a prediction

Crustas

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Can anyone be trusted, i wonder. Especially the weather men.

imho global warming did not cease in 1998 and is still a very real problem.

Argentina's Upsala Glacier

Cape Hatteras in North Carolina coastal erosion

Mount Hood in Oregon at the same time in late summer in 1985 and 2002.

Triftgletscher in Switzerland 1990 2001

But exactly how long it will take before we see vast land loss to the sea is i suspect anyones guess.

Hi spidy, if you had'nt seen it already you might want to have a look this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com... Flooded Earth

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by crustas
No one really knows if it's warming up or cooling down,

This is incorrect. It is warming up. THere is no longer any serious debate on that aspect of the issue amoung the scientific community.

because we, the humans have little weather data(a few hundred years only )

We have weather records extending back millions of years, and direct measurements that date back centuries.

it's only a matter of opinion, people tend to choose sides, this subject it's not different

Its not just about opinion. Science permits us to objectively examine the world around us and try to explain it. Based on science, a doctor can be "of the opinion" that because an x-ray shows a broken bone, that the person has a broken bone.
Scientists, overwhelmingly, are of the opinion that, yes, the data does indeed support that the earth, as a whole and overall, is warming.
The debate now, amoung scientists, is what is causing the warming. So far, no one has been able to show that its part of some natural cycle, by this I mean, the controls on weather over certain scales of time are know fairly well, the things that affect it one way or the other are familiar, and none of them can account for the warming.
At the same time, we have an increase in atmospheric CO2, as a result of modern technology, and CO2 is a gas that traps heat.

Kode, I would be cautious about making subjective and emotive appeals such as those pictures make. While its agreed that the earth is warming, those picutres don't tell us anything other than in one year there was lots of snow and ice, and in another year, there wasn't.
While this isn't much of an issue in a simple discussion like this, if the people become conviced by rhetoric like that, rather than rational thought and evidence, then....what happens when or if we find that those particular instances were unrealted to human activity?
For example, I have seen, in these forums nonetheless, people use projected pictures of what Mt. Kilimajaro, a famous mountain with an icy peak in africa, will look like in the not so distant future, if it continues to melt as it is now.
The idea is that we have destroyed something good and beautiful in the natural world.
THe problem is.....Mt Kilimanjaro has been melting since the first europeans spotted it, long before any greenhouse effect, its simply a melting mass of ice, naturally.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Global warming is real. Ive done alot of research on the internet and read several books on the topic. It really seems to me that the evidence is solid enough that we can say with some certainty there is a real danger to the human civilization if things continue as they have for much longer. Estimates Ive seen say that by 2050 we will see a 6 degree change in temperature globally which if you look in the fossile record, previously when a 6 degree change occurred on earth a huge percentage of life on earth dies out. Were talking mass extinction.

Most people ignore the danger or argue against its existence but some people on the front lines of the global warming problem are already making a big deal out of it because it has affected them on a personal level.

www.kron.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   
kode,
Next time I suggest you look at the pictures more carefully when you post.
The first one, for example, is fake, because it uses the same exact three mountain tops in both examples of the picture, and the exact same angle. Also not the snow is in the exact same layout.

The numba 2 picture, is just natural water levels changing. Personally, my cottage has lost about the same amount of water that picture has gained, from the shore.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I agree with guyopitz.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I believe from what i have gleaned from other sources other than media and from the media that it appears that the world is changing anyways, it’s just that we appear to be adding to the affect.

Even if the pictures do not depict an accurate portrayal of global warming they still have some relevance imho as record of change [possibly man made]. I guess i was really replying to Dock6. I just thought it might put things into perspective a bit.

Here is the article from which i found the pictures including Argentina's Upsala Glacier.
How the world is changing

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   
yosemite.epa.gov...

Good stuff on global warming.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I also found this:

Global warming map

Click on parts of the map to get a closer look

[edit on 14-4-2006 by spidy]

top topics