It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

groom lake when it was an actual lake!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
i came across this while searching google, and just thought it was pretty interesting! just think, that years later that spot were the old man was fishing is now covered by one of the most secret military facilitys ever!!! who is that old man any way?? maybe hes the one who the black mail box belongs too??

[edit on 5-2-2006 by Cammodude51]

jra

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Are you sure that's the same area? I noticed the date on the photo was 1965. There should have been a decent sized base built there by then and the testing of the A-12's was going on at that time. The first runways were made there in the 40's (athough they were just dirt runways at the time). But who knows. Perhaps the dry lakebed floods a little after a heavy rainfall?

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 07:32 PM
link   
its what it said! but hey you never know, maybe it was just a lake in the area of groom lake, who knows, but you said if it floods once in a while why would there be fish in it from rainfall?? who knows!

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I thought it was an interesting question so , I Googled it. I ghot the full (most) military history of uses from the WW II landing strips, through the Lockheed Skunk Works (U2) to recently.
I guess it was one of the Permian saline lakes which were probably fresh water 245 million years ago. The Salt Flats and Salt Lake were part of an ancient fresh water lake that ran from Dakota to, lets say souther Navada. The name Bonneville Lake, for this very large fresh water lake, came from an egocentric military man who claimed the right to attach his name to yet another thing for which he deserved no credit.
Google, what would we do without it?
skep

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   
wow man thanks alot, i mean the landscape seemed to match right and i saw buildings in thje background! but thjanks for settin it straight

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   
That photo was taken in 1965, after a heavy rainfall left a few inches of water on the lakebed surface. If you look in the background, Area 51 hangars 5 and 6 are clearly visible as well as some of the EG&G radar facility.

The picture was taken as a joke with Sgt. Green, the Area 51 cook, posing with his "catch."

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Fake. The Groom Lake Installation was discovered by Tony LeVier in 1952 and construction of the hangars, runway and main buildings ended in 1954.

its what it said! but hey you never know, maybe it was just a lake in the area of groom lake, who knows, but you said if it floods once in a while why would there be fish in it from rainfall?? who knows!

Even if this lake was near Groom, the U.S. Government would have swized control of it.

That photo was taken in 1965, after a heavy rainfall left a few inches of water on the lakebed surface. If you look in the background, Area 51 hangars 5 and 6 are clearly visible as well as some of the EG&G radar facility.

But the amount of rain that would be needed to fill this huge lake bed would definately exceed the amount of annual rainfall that hits this region.
IMHO.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
The photo was taken at Groom Lake (Area 51) on 6 April 1965. The man with the fishing pole is Murphy Green from the culinary service section at the base. I thought he was an NCO, but he was actually a contractor with REECo.

You can clearly see the Area 51 north ramp hangars in the background.

Also, if you have ever visited Edwards Air Force Base during the rainy season, you will know how easy it is to fill the lakebed with water. Rogers Lake at Edwards is 44 square miles, and I have seen it full from end to end. Groom Lake is much smaller.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Below is a link to a site that has quite an array of photos and information on Area 51, pretty informative site for any who hasn't seen it.

www.dreamlandresort.com...

top topics

join