It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thesis Antithesis Synthesis...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Ok...
Hegel believed in something he called a dialectic process; someone puts forward a claim that they believe to be the UNSHAKEABLE truth. This is a thesis. Whenever such a powerful claim is proposed, a contradicory claim will arise, this is a negation of the first idea. It could be called the antithesis. Then there comes a compromise of sorts between ideas, the synthesis.
SO
Thesis: Creator
Antithesis: Natural Science
Synthesis: The Creator is the mastermind behind natural science, including evolution.
Any thoughts?

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Synthesis: The Creator is the mastermind behind natural science, including evolution.

Any thoughts?

Otherwise known as Theistic Evolution

Theistic Evolution says one of two things:

That, while there is a God, He wasn’t directly involved in the origin of life. He may have created the building blocks, He may have created the natural laws, He may even have created these things with the eventual emergence of life in mind, but at some point early on He stepped back and let His creation take over. He let it do what it does, whatever that is, and life eventually emerged from non-living material. This view is similar to Atheistic Evolution in that it presumes a naturalistic origin of life.

Or, that God did not perform just one or two miracles to bring about the origin of life as we know it. His miracles were multitudinous. He led life step by step down a path which it took it from primeval simplicity to contemporary complexity, similar to Darwin’s Evolutionary Tree of Life (fish begot amphibians who begot reptiles who begot birds and mammals, etc). Where life was not able to evolve naturally (how does a reptile's limb evolve into a bird's wing naturally?), God stepped in. This view is similar to Special Creation in that it presumes that God acted supernaturally in some way to bring about life as we know it.

Have only read the front page of this next link so far but i really like the approach he's taking here and thought you may appreciate it aswell... i think i'm too much of a creationist (old-earther) and an ID advocate to be a theistic evolutionist... although the author did speak of a 'Behe type' so perhaps an IDer could be a T-evolutionist. From what i've seen though most T-evolutionists believe ID is pseudo-science (Ken Miller for ex.) Also i believe the 'official' RCC position is that of theistic evolution or guided by GOD but not testable scientifically (or something along those lines.)

freespace.virgin.net...
What is Theistic Evolution?

Theistic Evolution is not a defined belief system. A theistic evolutionist is a person who accepts that evolution is the scientific description of how organisms change over time; that all organisms have got here through descent with modification. At the same time, he is a theist - he believes in a God who is both personal and concerned with His creation (as opposed to a 'wind it up and let it go' Deist God)

Theistic Evolutionists could thus belong to any of the three main monotheistic faiths, or to any other theistic belief system.

As such, there is still a variety of opinion amongst theistic evolutionists. Some, such as Michael Behe, do not believe that abiogenesis (the transition of non-living to living systems, which is a quite seperate thing from evolution) can occur without the intervention of God. Others, such as Dr. Howard J. Van Till, believe that God created the universe in such a way that what He desires will occur through natural processes, and that abiogenesis will probably be fully understood by science one day. Personally, I'd be inclined to go along with that, and even say that the outworking of God's creative process and natural laws are much the same thing. It's complicated, and I'm no theologian, so I'm loathe to try to expand on this here. If enough people ask (or challenge) me, then I'll give it a stab. Dr. Van Till, by the way, is an evangelical Christian, and a professor of physics at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Michigan. This is not the sole preserve of theological liberals!

Some Christians seem to have an issue with T-evolution... mostly young-earthers i've noticed. Depending on what 'version' of T-evolution you're talking about, some ID theorists & old-earthers also have issues with it (re: testability and universal common ancestry respectively.)

Interesting topic though.

[edit on 2-2-2006 by Rren]

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by papillonnoir
Ok...
Hegel believed in something he called a dialectic process; someone puts forward a claim that they believe to be the UNSHAKEABLE truth. This is a thesis. Whenever such a powerful claim is proposed, a contradicory claim will arise, this is a negation of the first idea. It could be called the antithesis. Then there comes a compromise of sorts between ideas, the synthesis.
SO
Thesis: Creator
Antithesis: Natural Science
Any thoughts?

You forgot another Synthesis idea: Nature (evolution) created God.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 01:43 AM
link   
THAT is an excellent thought! I can't believe I skipped over that. But true......and interesting.

Thanks!

join