It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vampire!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Most fairy tale monsters do have a shred of truth behind them. One of vampirisms can be linked to a extremely rare blood disease in which (I believe) the white cell count decreases a hugh amount and for some reason the drinking of blood replenishes it to some degree. Unfortunitly, I can't remember what the disorder is called, but I do vaguely recall a claim that Rasputin (the mad monk) may have had this problem.

Because this was seen as so monsterous the idea of evilness could have easily been attatched to it and developed into a relationship with creatures that are seen as evil (aka bats and wolves). Just food for thought.

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Very interesting in your reference to Rasputin, Jonna. I've been looking at doing some research into him for a project I've been cooking up, but until now, I hadn't heard of any connection to vampirism.

Something for me to consider though.... :O

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Most fairy tale monsters do have a shred of truth behind them. One of vampirisms can be linked to a extremely rare blood disease in which (I believe) the white cell count decreases a hugh amount and for some reason the drinking of blood replenishes it to some degree.

Or perhaps it goes far beyond this, and is linked to Lilth.

citrus

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Just found the name of that disease that I was refering to: Porphyria.

Found this on www.straightdope.com

"In 1985 biochemist David Dolphin proposed that the vampires of folklore may actually have been people suffering from porphyria, a group of rare, largely hereditary blood diseases. According to the Times account of his remarks:

(1) Porphyria victims are extraordinarily sensitive to sunlight. Even mild exposure can cause severe disfigurement. Facial skin may scar, the nose and fingers may fall off, and the lips and gums may become so taut that the teeth project like fangs.

(2) To avoid sunlight, people with serious cases of porphyria go out only at night, just like Dracula.

(3) Today porphyria can be treated with injections of blood products. Centuries ago, porphyria victims might have sought to treat themselves by drinking blood.

(4) Porphyria is inherited, but the symptoms may not manifest themselves until brought on by stress. Suppose a sibling with an active case of the disease bites you to quench his thirst for blood. Tr�s stressful, non? Suddenly your own latent porphyria goes critical and you start growing fangs too.

(5) Garlic contains a chemical that worsens porphyria symptoms, causing sufferers to avoid it. Just like vampires"

[Edited on 19-12-2003 by Jonna]

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by citrus
Or perhaps it goes far beyond this, and is linked to Lilth.

Linked in what way?

People want to be like Lilith and therefore imagine they have some of those vampiric abilities?

Vampires are descendants of Lilith (if that's even possible)?

Another reason you have in mind perhaps?

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
Just found the name of that disease that I was refering to: Porphyria.

Wow, now that is some interesting stuff Jonna. That could certainly explain a good number of the traditional blood-sucking vampires.

I still believe some of them may be psychological however, as multiple sets of similar symptoms can still be different ailments. Makes things even more interesting as you try to separate people suffering from Porphyria, psychic vampires (psychologically dependant on blood, as I described before), and of course those who are otherwise normal (non-psi and healthy) yet psychologically dependant.

This certainly does add another path to look into however.

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 12:26 PM
link   
What does Lilith even have to do with vampires?

Quick search on google...

The Mythology

Lilith (pronounced lil'ith) was originally the Sumerian Queen of Heaven, A Goddess older than Inanna. The Hebrews took the Goddess and transformed her into the first wife of Adam, who refused to lie beneath him when having intercourse. She insisted that because they were created equal, they needed to have sex equally. When Adam refused, she left him. Thereafter, in Jewish mythology, she was described as a demon.

My memory was rusty, but I remembered enough to know that I never heard of Lilith in story talking about vampire. She was occasionnaly pictured as the goddess of Death, and other creepy stuff...But I never heard of her related to vampires.

Anyway...I think it's just some kind of mental illness.
If you go really far in history...some people thought that when you killed someone, you robbed him from his soul and some kind of 'inner strenght'.
Some warrior 'ritualised' this, hence the blood drinking and brain bitting.

Modern vampires are probably just crazy locos who remember that and fantasm on that...Still strange.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 12:01 AM
link   
yeah its probably lilith who is related to vampires. as she probably is death. vampires are amazing. i marvel at what they can do. having power explains that. its awesome. i do believe in extraordinary beings however. i actually wouldnt mind being a vampire. the only thing that would stop me is that it clashes with my religion. but id probably wanna be a psy vamp. cuz they use energy. and i think theyre telepathic??????

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Another vampire. This one drinks cats blood, as well as some other horrible behavior. They should just lock these people up and throw away the keys!

www.greatfallstribune.com...

[Edited on 1-9-2004 by William One Sac]

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Some people are just so sick in the head!!!

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
"the vampire disease....spawning myths for ages
bboard.scifi.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Vampires do exist but not in the sense of Bram Stokers Dracula. Though the vampires like me would argue we do exist but drink red wine and party till sunlight.

you see modern day vampires are a set of people who like the magic and deepness of the vampiric society has. Some of us bite, some of us even draw blood, but then they are considered freaks even by us vampires.
there are as has been discussed medical complaints that induce a kind of vampirism.

This man, is suffering some form of obsessional disorder.
Though it has been said by older cultures that if you eat the dead you inherit their soul and strengths and perhaps that is what he believes?

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Alan Menzies has allegedly killed himself in prison.

A MAN jailed for murdering his best friend, drinking his blood and eating part of his head has been found dead in his prison cell.

Alan Menzies, 23, of Fauldhouse, West Lothian, who bludgeoned Thomas McKendrick to death in a frenzied attack after a row over a horror film, is thought to have taken his own life at Shotts Prison yesterday.

Judge Roderick Macdonald QC branded Menzies an "evil and dangerous psychopath" and recommended he serve at least 18 years in prison when sentencing him to life at the High Court in Edinburgh on October 8 last year.

Full Story

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
technically if vampires were real theyd be a form of satanist so hypotheticlaly spekaing they WHOULD be undead because thier soul would be black as night thats my theory anyways

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
[edit on 19-11-2004 by contraa]

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Man, how could you categorize this as a mental illness?

I would have categorized him as delusional, psychopathic, and homicidal.

Now I'd categorize him as deceased.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by QueenoftheDamned
Vampires do exist but not in the sense of Bram Stokers Dracula. Though the vampires like me would argue we do exist but drink red wine and party till sunlight.

Hmm. Does that mean I have some vampirism in me?

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
they should have put him in solitary confinement packed full of garlic

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I believe in vampires, but not the way Anne Rice or any other writer portrays them. The murderer obviously needs mental help and I believe the so called "vampire," could've used a psychiatrist if he was still alive. Most people who call themselves vampires have depression, but don't want to die, so they choose to "become" a vampire.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
He sounds like a Whack job. There are such things as vampyres. I know this becuz i am one. i have been for over 230 years. But vamps dont bite off heads. LOL. thats stupid

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join