It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

really big praying mantis.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I believe you OP,I myself saw my cat have a fight with one of similar size,I thought he must have been the Granddaddy of all Mantis, my cat had it's work cut out for it killing that

I have kept Mantis as pets ,and am very familiar with the soul penetrating gaze of the Mantis ,to support the poster who encountered one on the sidewalk.

I am endlessly fascinated by these things ,I love Mantis

thanks for the post

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Apparently an 18 inch praying mantis was caught and measured in China in the 1920's.

www.frogview.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
your confession caught my attention...
I hadn't noticed there were other threads about Preying-Mantis &
Alien connects (real or imagined), the search button turned up several

very recently i had a reply post that mentioned the Preying-Mantis:
from post: ww.abovetopsecret.com...

..... Owl, Turtle, CaveBear were all my spirit helpers
and i've always had Praying Mantis as an Ace-in-the-hole.
(Preying Mantis might just be the animal-insect Archtype of the now popular ET we call 'Greys')
[...]

s/Victoras StUdio ....

And concerning this thread...

Originally posted by antar
I promise you with all that is holy, I also saw one a few years ago and it haunts me to this day.

(I)... stopped at an IHOP for a snack, we pile out of the van and go in and when we returned to the van, we all saw the most amazing praying mantis walking towards us from the direction of the restaurant.

It was HUGE! At least 12 inches high and 10 inches long. It walked on its back legs almost human like and came straight up to me, its mouth moving and hands making motions of needing to connect.

His eyes looked straight into my soul and it sent a shock to my nervous system. At first repulsed and a little frightened by his desperate attempt to make contact, and making a big deal of it to my family, they all just told me get in! Get in! I was driving and the last to get in, I walked around the van with the little guy following me, pleading with me.

I told him I cant, I cant help you, I am freaked out here and I just cant. I walked briskly to my door and got in. The little guy dropped his head and started walking away slowly.

I said to my family, what should we do? We need to take him with us, but they insisted we leave him and go.

Preying Mantis is still my strong ally, in my spiritual & real world construct.

What riveted me to your admission, is that years ago, around 1980,
a friend & myself met a thumb sized bug with the appearance of a
very large black 'Ant'...
but wearing what appeared to be.... a Cranberry Red fur coat!

we were totally amazed as the Ant paraded before us,
but when we started poking at the Ant with pine needles, in an effort to redirect its path, the intelligent Ant seemed to be yelling at us to stop...

we actually heard yells & screams coming from the Ant in a red furry coat.

So, Chris & I decided we needed to leave the critter alone, and jokingly
remarked that if we hurt the creature, he might summon other Alien Ants
to battle the Earth inhabitants....
we weren't stoned/high/drunk or nothing like that, but fortunately for
both our and the Ants karma, we removed ourselves from the situation
and left the creature in peace.

I seen another thumb sized black 'Ant', with the similar Cranberry Red furry coat in a Surfside Beach sitting area at my dentist's office this last November '08 (when it was still 70 degress out)... but i didn't even attempt to get close enough so the critter would be able to see me...

strange things indeed, the preying Mantis, & this other Ant like insect...
Makes one introspect about reality & the world we think we understand

thanks,

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
if anyone is interested in the mantis here is a forum for you to check out

mantidforum.net...://mantidforum.net/forums/

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ti josephus

In a book by Stewert Swerdlow www.expansions.com... I read that there is an alien race that looks like a big Praying Mantis, and he said they were very intelligent and very kindly, benevolent in nature. I think this may have been the book I read it in...
Montauk: The Alien Connection /ko5p9s (Amazon Website)

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
We have 6 inch Praying Mantis around here pretty often. I'm always happy to see them because they take care of the other harmful insects around. Not too happy when the cats see them, though. I think it's possible that you may have seen one close to 10".

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Reply to post by ti josephus

Wouldn't that make it a PMOUS?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

I see that you are in the Coastal Plain of NC. Your big ant with a cranberry fur coat was more than likely what we call a 'cow-killer' it is also called a 'Red Velvet Ant'. However, it is wasp. Those things have a nasty sting as well. The sting is REALLY bad.

lancaster.unl.edu...

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
I would have to guess your memory has exaggerated the size of the insect. A 10" praying mantis is not impossible, but it's certainly unheard of and counter-intuitive.

"I would have to guess your memory has exaggerated the size of the insect. A 10" praying mantis is not impossible, but it's certainly unheard of and counter-intuitive. "

Sadly, you are quite incorrect. I was a guest at the old Byrd Hotel in downtown Richmond, VA in August of 1971 and met a Preying mantis that was , by measurement, 11 inches long. It was the length of a TIME magazine I was reading and living happily in the slats of the old wooden Venetian blind of the room window.

It was knocked to the ground, stunned, and then scooped up in the magazine. We were stunned at it's size. The hotel bell man who came to the room to remove the creature said he had seen many such Mantises on the property.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ti josephus

Looks familiar?

imageshack.us...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I actually saved this mantis from my cat last year. He is really bigger than he appears here because he is squnched up a bit, but if I were to guess, I'd say he was about 6 inches long. I like this picture because you can see the wings as well!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

my favorite mantis

<< 1   >>

join