It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TWO suns?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   
OK I look outside at the sun, and see 2 distinct balls of light. Is this just me? Is it the moon or is it something else? I hope its the moon.... Im in England.

If only I had a camera.... it really is quite beautiful.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Intresting indeed , by the way there was a post sometime regarding this topic with some photos on that actual thread, now my question is can you be specific like when was it when you seen it and you know things like that. Thanks

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Sorry, I saw it this morning at about 9am GMT. I live in the middle of England. The "second" sun was the same size as the main sun, below and to the left.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
where is this thread that has this on? i wish to see it anyone have the link??

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Willow_Dryad
OK I look outside at the sun, and see 2 distinct balls of light. Is this just me? Is it the moon or is it something else? I hope its the moon.... Im in England.

If only I had a camera.... it really is quite beautiful.

Hi Willow_Dryad,

If the 2nd "Sun" is the Moon, this will occur at approximately the same time each day for a week or so. Can you borrow a camera? Some images would be great.

I've seen the Sun and Moon in the sky at the same time too.

Sanc'.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Well, you could block out one 'sun', and stare at the other for a long time and see if you go blind. Then that one'd be a sun.

I wouldn't recommend that tho.

And of course a second sun would have massive gravitational effects and be noticed by other people around you.

What did the people around you say?

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I wish I had acccess to a camera. The only reason I saw it was because a cloud obscured the main sun and I could see that through the cloud, and another ball of light below it.

I am glad its the moon, I was getting worried it could be that Planet X. I keep an open mind about things, while I tend to believe that the reason the earth's behavior is erratic is down to a natural cycle of it heating up, and becoming more volatile as a result, as opposed to its ice ages, its not a firm belief.

I think this is the thread they were referring to. This is NOT what I saw, only one of the images worked in the thread though. What I saw was not a dot but a sun-sized object. (the moon) www.abovetopsecret.com...

On a side note, due to the moon's proximity to the sun, is there an eclipse due anywhere? Im sure it wont be visible from here though as it would have been heavily publicised like the one of 1999 was.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Had something similar with the moon, but due to a different reason, kinda of a stupid one if you ask me. Just saw what seemed to be 2 moons, but that was just cause of the angle I looked into the window (was sitting inside) ...

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
It could be a sundog.

The "Sun" on the right is refracted light from the ice crystals. It is called a "sundog" or "mock Sun" or "parhelion" (meaning "beside the Sun", in Greek.)

Source: www.hartrao.ac.za...

There are some really nice ones here:

www.sundog.clara.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I think you probably saw the Sun & Moon in the sky at the same time, I've seen that many times in My 32 years of existance. I live in Florida & you get all kinds of unusual things to see here, because of the temperature differences throughout the year, & especially with the humidity we have.

I saw a water spout show up out of nowhere, & guess what, it was upside down first, all the clouds were swirling like a regular water spout, but upside down, then it came down out the clouds, like watching someone slowly lowering a necklace from an enclosed hand, & then the silly thing went right back up in the clouds & disapeared.

Before you ask, no I don't have any pictures, & this was when I was like 12 years old. It was funky as Hell, I'll say that.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I am glad its the moon, I was getting worried it could be that Planet X. I keep an open mind about things, while I tend to believe that the reason the earth's behavior is erratic is down to a natural cycle of it heating up, and becoming more volatile as a result, as opposed to its ice ages, its not a firm belief.

What you saw is prolly planet x...i wouldnt be surprised if it was...my only question is how big was it...was it smaller or larger then the sun...thanx

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Considering tomorrow the Moon will be in the "New" phase (between the Earth and the Sun) you were probably seeing a sliver of that.

Not "Planet X."

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I am glad its the moon, I was getting worried it could be that Planet X. I keep an open mind about things

No you don't. You are keeping a child's mind. A second sun as big as you are discribing would engulf the earth in excess/unwanted heat and we would all burn up and die. We would not be having this conversation.

[edit on 28-11-2005 by Frosty]

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Two theories, already stated.

Parhelions: False sun. Sometimes you can see one extra sun, sometimes you can see 5 suns. Depends on the way the light is bending.

Moon: Sometimes the moon can bee seen reflecting the sun's radiation. Occasionally the light can be reflected almost completely and can be very bright, rendering it impossible to detect a difference. But its still the moon.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I don't know what's causing this, but I do know that it is totally natural. If you have seen Star Wars: Episode IV (I'm assuming most have) there is one scene where Luke SKywalker is standing on Tatooine, looking up at the sky, and there are two suns. Remember that?

Ok, here's the deal. That wasn't any kind of trick photography, computer animation, or time lapse stuff. It's just a regular film; it is exactly what you would have seen if you were on the set that day. I'm not sure what conditions produce the 'double sun' illusion, but George Lucas does

(ps. the reason I know that is I am a star wars nut and it was on some internet trivia thing I found once a long time ago)

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Sorry to tell you, but on Tatooine in Star Wars, there's supposed to be 2 suns, because that's how the Star Wars stories are written. Hello...? It's called creative editing of film, or inserting items into a realistic scenes to enhance their version of reality.

To the guy who said the two suns would boil us alive, bravo dude. I was wondering who else would say that, I didn't think to mention it but I was thinking it.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
Ok, here's the deal. That wasn't any kind of trick photography, computer animation, or time lapse stuff. It's just a regular film; it is exactly what you would have seen if you were on the set that day. I'm not sure what conditions produce the 'double sun' illusion, but George Lucas does

(ps. the reason I know that is I am a star wars nut and it was on some internet trivia thing I found once a long time ago)

There were no "sky conditions" that caused that image of Tatooine... All that was done was take a normal image of the Sun and then superimpose a Hydrogen Alpha image of the Sun.

Hydrogen Alpha filters only allow a tiny fraction of the Sun's light in, which happens to be in the red wavelengths. Hence the red Sun over Tatooine.

I'm both a Star Wars nut AND an astronomy nut.

join