It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found in frozen shrimp

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I was wondering if this has been discussed here before? If not, what are your opinions on what this creature may or may not be? I was just surfing and I came across this site.

It was one of our cryptozoology students who reported this to GUST and a local newspaper broke the news: "When Karin and Kenneth Palmqvist was half way through their bonus pack with frozen shrimps they found a strange animal. The creature reassembled a crocodile with large upper eyes, behind the head and the gills are two fins that look like they are developing into tiny legs".

So...Any ideas? I haven't a clue.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Yes, it is discussed here.

It has been identified as some sort of Chimaera monstrosa, or ratfish.

Wig

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 04:41 AM
link   
But it looks nothing like a Havsmus. (replied here because the other thread has no photo of the shrimp imposter.)

I would hope they asked the company where it was likely fished from and that it was sent to a respected professional institution for identification, like the Natural History Museum (UK).

THis story is seriously lacking in any satisfactory conclusion.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Ratfish live in the Atlantic ocean from Morocco North to north to Iceland and Norway

The shrimps were not Swedish but came from Canada, where they most probably had arrived from China, since there were Chinese letters on the container they were in. They could therefore have been fished in the Pacific, even in the waters where a Japanese trawler 20 years ago found the cadaver of what was believed to have been a plesiosaur.

A little problem with the geography that makes things not agree so well. Ratfish are only found in the Atlantic, while most of the shrimp commerically sold comes from Asia.

I work in a seafood department, and I've never seen any of our dozens of different varieties of shrimp come from anywhere besides Thailand and Viet Nam (mostly), as well as a couple from the Phillipines and India. And I believe that nowadays, the majority of shrimp is FARMED, not harvested from the wild. They have ditches that they keep them in.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by eaglewingz
It has been identified as some sort of Chimaera monstrosa, or ratfish.

Thanks for the link, but Yarcofin is right. Geographically thinking this could not be a ratfish. Anymore theories out there?

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
It is hard to tell what this could be. Because it was frozen, its original appearance must have been altered in some way. This is only hypothesis, as im not about to test this idea on some wandering frog outside.

The fact that this was a discovery in aquatic type life, it seems quite ordinary, because imagine a shrimping boat, and all the things they must pick up! Earth's waters hold many mysteries. The fact that this thing has small legs growing out of it, it just makes you think about Darwin, you know? I think as much impact this will have on the science world will simply be added weight on evolutionary theories.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Well, I really have no idea what it could be, and in my opinion, the picture of the ratfish in eaglewingz's link, did'nt really look like the picture adamneldon posted.
However I have to say, as far as fish go, I think it's cute.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I'm not seeing these apparent "legs" that the thing is growing. Do any of you? I think that statement is quite misleading.

Other pictures of ratfish:

Zip

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
The only problem with the ratfish theory is that the pectoral fins of the ratfish extend away from the body--like wings--while the fins of the fish shown in the picture fold against the body pointing towards the tail. The fins are also right up under the flap of the gill, but the ratfish's are not. The pictured fish is flatter than a ratfish, it is the wrong color, and it is missing the fins along the tail, although I believe that these could have been broken off after the fish was frozen.

To me, the fish looks like some kind of algae eater, even though I can't seem to find a picture of any fish that would match it. I'm still looking.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
IMO, the fish looks created in photoshop.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   
This appears to be a very young specimen of a particular variety of dragonfish (which are a fairly diverse species). Search Google images for dragonfish to find some of the varieties.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
No more frozen shrimp for me thanks.

join