It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

giant spiders the size of a frisbe called camel spiders picture proof

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
hey guys las night jus havin a conversation with a freind he told me that there are giant spiders in iraq that eat camels an other animals like dogs,cats an have been known to attack soliders at first i was like yea right i want proof same thing he says when i talk about aliens anwayz today i looked it up an found 2 pictures of them an info...sum freaky stuff time to make bigger cans of raid bug spray an bigg fly swatters ..damn

heres the link pictures an facts
www.camelspiders.net...

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Some common Camel Spider Myths:

1. Camel spiders can move at speeds over 30 MPH, screaming while they run.
2. Camel spiders can be as large as a frisbee.
3. Camel spiders venom is an anesthetic that numbs their prey.
4. Camel spiders can jump three feet high.
5. Camel spiders get there name because they eat the

Sounds like #2 refutes your friend...but interesting none the less. Have to read a little more though.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Heres a video of a camel spider:

www.wimp.com...

Although I think the claims of soldiers being chased by these things making terrible screaming noises running at 25 mph seems a little over the top...

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I don't get it? The site says that they don't get bigger than 6 inches but the photos show spiders much larger than 6 inches? Typo?

THE FACTS

Most of these claims are false or greatly exaggerated.

1. Camel spiders top speed - 10 mph.

2. Size: Up to 6 inches

3. They have no venom.

4. They don't jump.

5. Called camel spiders because they live in the desert.

They actually aren't spiders at all, they're solpugids.. Along with spiders, they are members of the class Arachnida.

[edit on 21-11-2005 by MacMerdin]

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
heres a vid i found to apparently a camel spider eating a lizard
dustmans.castpost.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Not another Camel Spider's are monster's thread?

This has been done to death!

And this pic, which alledges they are huge, is out of perspective. They're only a few inches at the most and the pic does not clearly show that.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Darn thous things are UGLY .Can you say Squash!

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
There is a lot of MIS information out there about "camel spiders" which are not even actually a spider.

They do not eat dogs or cats. Here is some info for you.

Folklore over the camel spider is not confined to the Middle East. In Mexico the name for the camel spider, matevenados, translates to "deer killers."

Camel spiders can reach speeds of 10 mph (16 km/h), they do jump to modest heights, and are aggressive, though they are not the superspiders of myth. Camel spiders feed on invertebrates, insects and even very small reptiles. They have enormous crushing jaws that must work quickly because they have no venom to subdue their prey. Finally, camel spiders are so-named, not because they feed on camels, but because they are found in the same desert-like climates as the camel.

www.wisegeek.com...

- One Man Short

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Look at the spider in relation to the soldier's CUFF in the right of the image, rather than in comparison to the soldier's leg behind the thing.

Zip

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
"While my guitar gently weeps" was the perfect soundtrack for that spider eating the lizard.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
cool critters, but not capable of most of the myth surrounding them

www.snopes.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
yeah met a guy who was stationed in the raf and he told me about these things b4 i even knew what they were. he said about the bite that u dont know of, and then they eat chunks of your flesh.

greedy buggers

him and his raf mates stationed out in iraz and other places saw these things and scorpions. I think i will stay in united kingdowm thanks

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
My brother, who is in the Navy, sent my mother the e-mail that's been circulating for a long while about these supposed "monsters". It included that picture.

I admit that he had us all fooled for a while, until I reposted this information to a blog of mine, and had a friend correct me.

What's sad is that we have those things around here, only we call them "vinegar roons". And we still believed the purported "facts", even though we've never heard one screaming.

They're still ugly, though, and they leave unsightly brown streaks when you smash them.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Why is this thread in the "Cryptozoology and Mythical Beasts" forum? There is nothing cryptic or mythological about camel spiders.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Not another Camel Spider's are monster's thread?

This has been done to death!

And this pic, which alledges they are huge, is out of perspective. They're only a few inches at the most and the pic does not clearly show that.

Just a size note to that picture, which has been debated a lot in a thread half a year ago - Its actually two spiders mating, and not one. Thats why 'it' is so long.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 06:36 AM
link   
whaaaaaat!? "camel spiders"? those things are simple windscorpions, also known as sunscorpions.

They live predominantly in hot dry desert like areas, there are only 6 species in Europe and they all live in the Southern Europe only. They can stridulate (make a noise) by rubbing together a piar of horny ridges on the insides of their chelicerae.

and vinegaRONES, not vinega roons, are the whipscorpions. these have a whip-like tail, and they are called vinegarones because if they feel threatened they secrete a substance that smells like vinegar. but the windscorpions arent part of the vinegarone family.
oh and youve probably guessed by now, but windscorpions arent related to spiders except for being in the same class, arachnida. so if they were "camel" anything, they would be "camel scorpions". i think this thread should be closed, though i dont have the power to do so.

[edit on 22-11-2005 by Hawker9]

[edit on 22-11-2005 by Hawker9]

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Camel spiders are indeed ugly and they do get pretty big (Most of them are normally small)

The real king of the spiders in the Galieth Bird eating spider which does indeed grow to the size of dinner plates.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
thas a big spider
i wonder if it would be easy to kill

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Ahh. The camel spider. I read somewhere a year or so ago that they inject camels with their venom (which numbs the camel) and then it will eat the camel alive!

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by xeroxed88
Ahh. The camel spider. I read somewhere a year or so ago that they inject camels with their venom (which numbs the camel) and then it will eat the camel alive!

Except, if you study the spider, you will find they do not produce, carry or inject ANY venom whatsoever.

- One Man Short

top topics

join