It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Radioactive Place on Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   

THERE is a lake so radioactive you will die if you just LOOK into it for a few hours - and it's 130km from Ireland. Below the surface lies material so unstable it will explode if the air gets at it. It is so toxic it pollutes the wind that blows over it. So lethal that seagulls must be shot if they land on it to prevent them becoming radiation carriers.

Welcome to Sellafield's "Dirty Thirty" - the most contaminated place on earth and not far from Ireland's east coast. The massive radioactive lake at the home of the British nuclear industry in Cumbria contains millions of litres of deadly radioactive water and sludge. The huge B30 tank is the size of three Olympic swimming pools and is just a few hundred metres from the Irish Sea.

source

external image
Sellafield Reprocessing plant in Great Britain

Sources revealed highly contaminated water is seeping through the walls,
especially during cold weather when joints contract.

A leak at the Sellafield nuclear reprocessing facility on Cumbrian coast, England

Irish demand action at Sellafield

ATSNN: Nuclear Leak At Sellafield

Thought I would bring Sellafield to attention again, since it seems to get swept under the rug while nuclear waste is most likely still leaking into the water table and sea.

[edit on 13-11-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Good job regenmacher.

...Every time I start thinking maybe, just maybe, nuclear power is a reasonable energy alternative - someone like you comes along with information like this.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Since i live in ireland i know all to well of the dangers of that sea the cases of lukeimea and cancer have incresed along irelands east coast and if there was to be an accident at sellifiled ireland would be in the firing line ireland has compained non-stop for britan to close that place and its working as they are decomissing it over the (i think) next 5 years around that mark

[edit on 13-11-2005 by WERE_ALL_GONA_DIE]

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
...Every time I start thinking maybe, just maybe, nuclear power is a reasonable energy alternative - someone like you comes along with information like this.

There's safe nuclear and there's Sellafield and Chernobyl. I'm pro-nuclear power also, but not at the cost of contaminating the ecosystem to where it becomes an uninhabitable dead zone for decades to come.

Lessons to learn....

A must see:
Kiddofspeed - GHOST TOWN - Chernobyl Pictures -
Elena's Motorcyle Ride through Chernobyl
www.kiddofspeed.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Ireland acctuly sent around 2million postacrds a few years ago to tony blair,prince charles and some other guy i sent 15

sellifield to close down in 5 years

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by WERE_ALL_GONA_DIE
Ireland acctuly sent around 2million postacrds a few years ago to tony blair,prince charles and some other guy i sent 15

Looks like the BNG is going to reopen the Thorp plant though, hence my article raising renewed concern. What about Drigg, Calder Hall and Windscale which are all in the Sellafield region?

Delayed again: Sellafield’s Thorp plant
THE reopening of Sellafield’s £1.8 billion reprocessing plant has been delayed again, with British Nuclear Group (BNG) admitting that it will not now be ready before next summer.

A decision not to re-open Thorp would jeopardise the Government's strategy for dealing with nuclear waste, which is seen as a key pre-condition to a decision on building new nuclear plants.

Explosive plan for power station
High level radioactive waste - primarily spent fuel elements - will continue to be sent to the Sellafield reprocessing works but intermediate level waste might be stored on site until a national dump becomes available.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
The Irish goverment faces legal action of breching EU treties

THE Irish government is facing a court action as a result of its own legal efforts to close down the controversial nuclear reprocessing plant at Sellafield.

www.examiner.ie... tLHd2nc4fugsgTbBP-2fa91M.asp

Well sorry for not wanting ireland for being the 2nd chernobyl

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Don´t forget the "positive" effects from Chernobyl...
Scare unwanted immigrants away.

Asylum Seekers Offered Radioactive Wasteland

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
You know, I learn something from here every day. Thanks goodness ATS doesn't charge.

Seriously, I had no idea this place existed. And I am about 88 miles away from 3 mile island. Isn't that fun?

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rouschkateer

And I am about 88 miles away from 3 mile island.

I wonder how many near-accidents have happened and been silenced. 10 years before the Three Mile Island accident, in 1969, Sweden was just seconds from a similar disaster as Harrisburgh/Chernobyl. There were no alarms and they managed to keep it quiet for 24 years! Just a coincident prevented a huge disaster. In Sweden, the public did not know about this incident until 1993. This was serious, very very serious. God was in a good mood that day and decided to spare them. This proves that "Master Coverups" are possible in Sweden... like Estonia and the murder of Prime Minister Olof Palme... btw, Olof Palme knew about this incident and he kept it quiet as well. Palme was murdered in 1986 and the murder is still unsolved (like JFK)...

www10.antenna.nl..." target="_blank" class="postlink">WISE: Near Meltdown in 1969/Sweden

On 1 May 1969, technicians lost control over the Ågesta nuclear reactor, which is located in a suburb of Stockholm

"It was without a doubt the most serious incident in the history of the Swedish nuclear industry."

The accident occurred when early in the morning a technician made an error in a routine change of a valve. A connection exploded and 500 tons of water ran over the complex. The water fell from a cooling tower 30 meters over the reactor building. On its way down, it knocked out the reactor control system. Short circuits resulted in valves opening and closing at random. Several times throughout the day the emergency core cooling system was a hair away from failure. The public was not notified. Officials determined that evacuation of the area at risk could not take place fast enough.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I had previously heard of a facility in Russia called Chelyabinsk-40. There were multiple reactors used to generate weapons-grade nuclear materials, and these used open-loop cooling systems - the reactor's coolant water was pulled from the Techa river, ran through the reactor, and dumped back into the Techa. There was a black radioactive sludge a half-inch thick on the river, and areas had to be fenced off and wells unused. (There was a picture I saw of children playing near the river right past a warning sign indicating the presence of radiation.)

join