It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exploding star hunters make history

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 06:32 PM
link   
This must be quite a sight, although it's very worrying that supernavae are happening so often. What do you think the chances are of our solar system being destroyed by a distant supernova?

news.bbc.co.uk...

Two British amateur astronomers have found more than 100 exploding stars, or supernovae - more than any other individuals.

Mark Armstrong: "The thrill of discovery"
A supernova explosion is so big it can outshine the galaxy in which it occurs. Scientists use them to learn about the expansion of the Universe.

Until recently finding supernovae was difficult and confined to professionals, who often found them by chance. But all that has changed.

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I think the chances will be quite slim as all the near stars that are capable of that sort epoch are definitely visible. I think the nearest possible one I can think of right now is the Sirius binary system. But we can track that easily as it's only eight lightyears away. Possible effects would be rather devastating, mostly in terms of radiation...

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Who cares about 'em exploding?

news.bbc.co.uk...

I'd be more worried about 'em swallowing us.

posted on Sep, 21 2003 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Here's something to carry on on the subject.

news.bbc.co.uk...

The mystery of an erupting star may be explained by the realisation that it has been engulfing planets.

V838 Mon: Star with an appetite
Last year, the usually well behaved star V838 Monocerotis dramatically brightened three times, and astronomers were at a loss to explain why.

The latest suggestion is that the expanding red-giant star was swallowing three gas planets that were orbiting it.

join