It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is love more powerful then hate?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 01:49 PM
link   
This is an interesting topic I have just recently thought about. Take a look at the world around you and ask yourself this simply stated, but very difficult to answer question.

IS LOVE MORE POWERFUL THEN HATE?

In my own opinion love is stronger then hate... but the reason hate is "winning the war on humanity" is because it is the easy way out. People think that violence is the answer. Take a look at the states president today. I see nothing but hate in his eyes. All he cares about is power and the well being of the entire world (ie americans) An eye for an eye you might say is the answer... if this is the case then why has this bloodshed gone on for for tens of thousands of years.

sorry president bush but an eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 01:55 PM
link   
of course love is much stronger than hate. in reference to an eye for an eye it also makes one to use their minds to solve issues instead of what their eyes tell them what is real, these are very strange days indeed.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I beleive they are equal opposites. However, It's a lot easier to hate and kill than to love and understand.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 02:03 PM
link   
But we are in the time of yang( hate ).

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 02:14 PM
link   
nope. hate wins every time,
but that's because hate has brass knuckles.
if love bucked up and got a little dirty then...

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Depends on the "type" of love and the "type" of hate.
I agree with your thoughts that the reason hate is winning or seems more prevalent is because it is an or the "easy way out."
Society, our parents, our priest, teachers, etc., have taught "us" that love is conditional.... Here's an example: God is Love. He is a loving God. But if we break His commandments, He will punish us with eternal banishment and everlasting damnation....
Its this same "conditional" love that equates to what has been called a "fear-based love."
Then there are those who claim that they know "real" love....and again, the first thing that most worry about after saying "I love you" is whether or not you'll hear it back. We give conditional love and recieve conditional love back.
Hate stems from fear. Fear/hate condemns, judges, etc. while "true" unconditional love does the opposite. Fear/hate causes us to hold close while love lets go; fear/hate is an energy that destroys, harms, closes down, etc., while "true" unconditional love acts as an energy which opens, heals, soothes, holds dear, etc.

Of coarse "true" unconditional, Agape', love is the more powerful, but it is the least utilized and understood of the two. Hate/fear prevails because it is the easiest to manifest; the easier to understand and utilize. Think about it....
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you...."

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 20-8-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 02:21 PM
link   
fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate to the dark side....

orr...

[Edited on 20-8-2003 by Fury]

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Maybe this all boils down to biology and evolution. Survival of the fittest and might is right in the face of anything different/threatening to us. Yet love, at least the altruistic kind, seems to hint that there may be something more to us than the mere biological which is why despite all the hatred and conflict there are always pockets of tolerance, understanding and compassion striving to overcome the negativity.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 09:09 PM
link   
If love was more powerful than hate

* guns would not be proliferated
* the US would be a safe, peaceful place to live
* ATS posters would see conflicts of opinion resolved differently

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:47 PM
link   
To love blindly is equally as foolish as blind hate.

Love and hate are opposites, they need one another. if you love something, you must hate its opposite, because its opposite could destroy that which you love. when tempered with one another, in balance. Niether must dominate.

Hate doesnt dominate the world, blind love and blind hate have created the chaos. love and hate must be seeing, knowing, and properly directed. things done in the name of love have produced the greatest hatred.

Hitler loved germany, look what his love wrought. Love can produce hate, and hate can produce love.

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Hmmm,love on one side, hate on the other, who's winning? Hate always gets more press, but on the other hand, somewhere, someone, is perpectuation an act of kindness that goes unseen, but tips the scales of what we consider humanity

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 03:10 AM
link   
just an observation

it's way WAY easier to be angry at the person who dumps you than it is to send them on their way with a smile on your face and your love for them in your heart.

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fury
nope. hate wins every time, but that's because hate has brass knuckles. if love bucked up and got a little dirty then...

Heh! In other words, "tough love", eh?

Actually, I think "which is stronger?" is an irrevelant question...It's like asking if Good or Evil was the stronger--And that would be nothing more than an individual perspective on the world. I think that "which one is more prominent?" would be more to the truth because it can actually be backed up by accurate study & observation of events that relate to love or hate. If love is predominant, then people would say love is stronger...At least at that time. These days, however, I'd have to say that hate is more predominant.

Originally posted by Seekerof
Society, our parents, our priest, teachers, etc., have taught "us" that love is conditional.... Here's an example: God is Love. He is a loving God. But if we break His commandments, He will punish us with eternal banishment and everlasting damnation....

Actually, in this particular case, Religion has steered *everybody* wrong on this point. Religion commonly teaches that which does *not* coincide with the actual scriptures & the origins of those scriptures...At least, not without taking into account *how much* those scriptures have been *altered* throughout history.
Damnation was never meant to be "everlasting"...Only for as long as it took the punished soul to accept God's Love again & never entertain another thought about committing sin against Him again. God's Love for *you* even extends into the pits of Hell, but God cannot abide your own evil to be with Him...Once the evil itself has been purged from your soul, God will take you to Him; This is the *real* definition of "tough love". It was actually *Organized Religion*, The Church itself, that has altered/redifined scripture for the purpose of instilling fear into the "common masses" to gain control & obedience.
I've found an excellent source for being the true meaning of Hell & related scriptural studies to be found in www.what-the-hell-is-hell.com...

Originally posted by mulberryblueshimmerit's way WAY easier to be angry at the person who dumps you than it is to send them on their way with a smile on your face and your love for them in your heart.

Yeah, it's easier...But then time has a way of healing all wounds, even those of the heart. In my own experience with such matters, I've found myself hurt & angry in that particular circumstance, but not "hateful". I eventually grew out of the "hurt & angry" part as well & still hold a fondness for that woman...Even though I know that things could never work out between us again.

This is why I "reinterpreted" the original question into having a bit more pertinent of a meaning...Rather than "which is stronger?", it should be "which is more prominant?" My answer would have to be that love is more prominent in my heart, but seems to be more prominent in society as a whole...Probably because, as someone else has pointed out, "hate gets more press".

[Edited on 27-9-2003 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Love brings things together, repairs things, gives, or contracts. Hate seperates, destroys, takes away, or extracts. I agree that people do get things confused what real love is, hence blind love. Real Love is patient; love is kind and envies no one. Love is never boastful, nor conceited, nor rude; never selfish, not quick to take offense. There is nothing love cannot face; there is no limit to its faith, its hope, and endurance. In a word, there are three things that last forever: faith, hope, and love; but the greatest of them all is love. Love is whole in that you don't have real love if one component is missing. If any component is missing it's not Love. There is only two sides (Love/Hate) so again, if any component is missing, blind love must be hate.

Now... hate is impatient, rude, and envious. It is scarring, damaging, and unforgiving. People do usually take the easy way, but I think it's more than that. Take a look at life; things that taste REALLY good in life are bad for you. Right? I'll try to say this in its simplist form: it's all about balance. Well, I might eat a reese's candy or something horrible for me, but I will PAY for it later. I know one doesn't make a difference to alot of you, but does it? The more candy I might eat, let's say the more I am in debt to myself to make up with healthy food. Looking at it the other way---> healthy food puts me in a higher value of health, where I don't have to make up for it. Right? Sorry for the 'snack' bit, I'll just get right to the point.

Hate is useless, Love has use.
(debt) (free of debt)

Hate is like debt in that it's useless, builds, and has a consequence in the end. (one that you probably won't like)

Love keeps you free to concentrate on what should be concentrated on. Hate takes that away! You see.

Can you imagine two doctors(Dr. Love/Dr. Hate) trying to get down a crowded hallway to their destinations? One is so selfish all he thinks about is himself. (Note: hatred is a branch of fear.) So he has to act as Dr. Love to get anywhere. In the crowded hallway are about 250 people running around saying, "doctor can you HELP me?" [Notice it's not HURT, it's HELP. People really do want love, not hate.] So Dr. Hate must act like Dr. Love to achieve his objective. Which doesn't even come thru for him. You see, so many people had asked him for help, he finally blew a gasket and revealed his true self. All for nothing. Nothing good comes easy and I know I rambled abit off path, but there are so many examples in the world that correlate to something else and I hope you see what I'm after. If not, may you still be blessed.

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Someone said it's easier to hate and kill then to love and understand~

This makes no sense to me, but I suppose we can just blame that particular assumption on todays society. But for the life of me I cannot see how it could be easier to hate and kill? Maybe it's because I have never really hated anyone or anything. I'm just not familiar personally with that emotion..

Love can be very powerful and overwhelming but it can also weaken when it's taken advantage of. I personally feel that it's not only difficult to hate but it's also difficult to love because of something Seeker mentioned in another post-fear..Fear is an extremely weak emotion so when combined with love a person can feel overpowered or confused and thus weak, because love isn't set in stone it changes and mutates and breaks hearts which eventually can make a person immune to it and bitter..but then, I'm not the best person on either of these emotions so of course I would say this

But if you are one of the lucky souls who has found that you can love someone no matter what the costs full force, then you my friend are very powerful...

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by magestica
But if you are one of the lucky souls who has found that you can love someone no matter what the costs full force, then you my friend are very powerful...

This kind of goes along with a quote I've picked up from a Hulk comic book (Okay, get your laughing done before you read any farther); The gentlest ones are always the strongest.

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Bad things happen when the good ones do nothing.

Hate is when love is not.

And don't love because of something, that's also the reason why you hate, because someone/thing ...., don't live in the future or the past...with your thoughts.., it makes you stop living the moment, unconditional love is the key!

Get control of your thoughts, think positive, what you think is what you do and is what you get. Open your mind for the heaven on earth.

We control the now, therefore we control the future, the past is gone, when the lessons weren't learned in the past, they will come back in the future, forever and ever untill you've learned them.

Get rid of your ego, that's what's making you you. You are me, and I am you, we are what we are, illuminate yourself!

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I didn't laugh..that could very well be true..but it remains to be seen. Gently loving someone/something takes a great deal of skill(I would imagine) and skill takes patience and patience is strength which leads to power and so on..so yes I agree with Hulk..but love can sometimes make someone crazy and therefore one can lose everything said above.

Think of it like this, have you ever loved someone who didn't love you back? How frustrating that might become for the one loving and how crazy it might make one feel. This brings to mind a song
"are you going to stay with the one who loves you, or are you going back to the one you love"? *Eagles*. So which is more important ay? Which is more powerful and fullfilling?
Magestica

join