It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lake Vostok Might Gush if Drilled!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Researchers Find Antarctic Lake Water Will Fizz Like A Soda

Water released from Lake Vostok, deep beneath the south polar ice sheet, could gush like a popped can of soda if not contained, opening the lake to possible contamination and posing a potential health hazard to NASA and university researchers.
A team of scientists that recently investigated the levels of dissolved gases in the remote Antarctic lake found the concentrations of gas in the lake water were much higher than expected, measuring 2.65 quarts (2.5 liters) of nitrogen and oxygen per 2.2 pounds (1 kilogram) of water. According to scientists, this high ratio of gases trapped under the ice will cause a gas-driven "fizz" when the water is released.

Full Story: www.spacedaily.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Boy we are just gearing up for some good times here like clock work huh.

Antarctic lakes fizzin' up.

Volcanoes about to pop.

Sadistic tyrants running the world.

War, desease, economic collapse.

Asteroid Showers.

Mars on it's way!

Some kind of Sun Spot thing.

Get those darn aliens down here I'd say we can just all call it a day folks!

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 08:53 PM
link   
It really is a scary scenario, who knows what possible types of bacteria and or viruses could be released into the atmosphere? Lake Vostok has been isolated for, I think at least 200,000 years from the rest of the atmosphere. Given that the water has remained liquid down there, it is reasonable to speculate that there could be life as well. And that life would most likely have evolved much differently from the rest of the world. I am not speaking about dinosaurs, but I am concerned about possible plagues.

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 09:03 PM
link   
WOS is right, Lake Vostok is a potential problem.

If anyone's not familiar with it, here's a thread with some info:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
The concern for contaminating the lake itself is quite real, but the real threat is what might get *out* of the lake.
I sure hope these guys know what they're doing down there, what with all the earthquakes near Antarctica lately...

-B.

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I had actually thought that they were already in the process of drilling in Lake Vostok.

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
Boy we are just gearing up for some good times here like clock work huh.

Antarctic lakes fizzin' up.

Volcanoes about to pop.

Sadistic tyrants running the world.

War, desease, economic collapse.

Asteroid Showers.

Mars on it's way!

Some kind of Sun Spot thing.

Get those darn aliens down here I'd say we can just all call it a day folks!

most of these things have been going on for a VERY long time. some before man walked on the planet.

there is always some volcano(s) or some earthquake happening. the earth itself is a dynamic thing, it is always changing and will continue to do so.

i'm not trying to make light of what you're saying but there have been many who though an accumulation of things like this meant the end of the world and while the world hasnt ended yet it has changed. literally for the planet and for us as humans.

although the lake fizzing up thing is a new one to me. that i have to admit is weird. WOS does have a very good point but any idea that some how humans can stop the planet from changing or doing what its going to do with foolish. all we can do is brace for impact and hope the earth is merciful enough to let some of live so as can continue the species. we are literally fleas on the back of planet earth and we're lucky it hasnt shrugged us off yet.

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
I had actually thought that they were already in the process of drilling in Lake Vostok.

regards
seekerof

They are, but the drilling was stopped short of the liquid water.

One would think that if the water were under pressure, that would make contamination of the water less likely. As the water comes up, it would force any contaminants out with it.

Also, I personally wouldn't worry about bacteria from the lake contaminating the world. If there is anything down there, it's evolved to that environment and is unlikely to be able to survive anywhere else.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Here is another article on the lake:

SAN JOSE, Calif. � If Russian researchers in Antarctica succeed in drilling through the final 120 meters of nearly 4 kilometers of ice to reach an ancient, unexplored lake, NASA scientists warn the hole could cause a dangerous eruption that spews water thousands of feet into the air.

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

Personally I'm eager to learn what they find. Anyone think they will find new life?

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Thanks for the additional information Mycroft.
Much appreciated.

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 12:55 AM
link   
This may be of interest...

Palmer station Antarctica is showing relative quiet today after recording two Mag 5+ quakes in the polar Atlantic, not far from Antarctica.

aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

NONE of the previous drilling signature is noted (although I admit I have not had time to monitor this situation, and am not sure when it ceased).

It is my personal opinion, based on the previously observed seismic signatures that whoever was tunnelling had already penetrated the ice cap, and was indeed in the underlying bedrock, as the seismic signature indicated drilling through alternating layers of hard and soft rock.

Also of interest is that just this week, USGS added two additional seismic monitoring stations in Antarctica. Such a station indicates a very significant outlay of resources... wonder where the funding came from, and what the justification for that funding was????

top topics

join