It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It Is Amazing How Fast the Media Works.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Wood Seeks TV and Book Deals.

Freed Australian hostage Douglas Wood aims to cash in on his 47-day ordeal.

A book deal, speaking tours, television interviews and beer sponsorship are being sought for Mr Wood four days after his rescue from terrorists in Baghdad.

Details of the marketing plans came as Federal Government sources revealed that attempts to rescue the US-based engineer cost Australian taxpayers up to $10 million.

Australia's Emergency Response Team, which was sent to Iraq last month, contained up to 40 members, including intelligence agents, Australian Federal Police officers and representatives of the Foreign Affairs and Defence departments.

The team, headed by diplomat Nick Warner, was backed by SAS troopers.

The operation's cost went well beyond salaries and daily needs. Among other things, the cost of communications equipment, airfares, weapons and payoffs were involved

Media experts said Mr Wood's story could be worth $250,000 as a package to 60 Minutes and Woman's Day or Today Tonight and New Idea. They said deals in the US could be worth more.

Source

While i am very happy that Douglas Wood is free and according to all reports in good health, i just hope that when all these deals are done and some profit is realised, he will donate some of the income he receives to whatever sources were 'taxed' of their budget to rescue him.

From a personal "if i was in his current position" point of view, i would bring on all the leeches (read management companies) even Hollywood and milk them for all they're worth, and then donate 90% to recompence my rescuers, being the armed forces. Then i would keep 10% for my nieces and nephew's future.

Sanc'.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Your thoughts are very true. It would be nice if someone actually thought to thank or reimburse the military for their expenses but somehow I doubt that will ever happen. But at least the man is safe and well and that is a good thing.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the military in all countries billed you to rescue???

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Your thoughts are very true. It would be nice if someone actually thought to thank or reimburse the military for their expenses

Im not so sure about this reimbursemetn of the military by citizens idea.

That is what our tax dollars are for. Now, if you wish to VOLUNTEERLY pay the those who rescued you or someone else....or even just for the hell of it. Then go ahead, I think it's a great idea. Share the wealth with those who put thier lives on the line for you. But billing citizens for military rescues is not right. Don't pay the military, pay the troops.

That's like paying for the same carwash twice.

join