It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Water Walkers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   
A group of Anishinaubek women are walking around the Great Lakes.

So far, they have walked around Lake Superior and Lake Michigan carrying a bucket of fresh water...drinkable water. Their journey has so far taken years, but no-one notices.

The message they bring is one we should heed. They walk in sorrow for the Spirit of water.
The great lakes are being poisoned...and hundreds of millions will pay the price.

No...I can find no website to present to you...no instant url-y warning system at play. Just a few Native American women carrying a most timely message in a bucket of water.

At the time of this writing, they are nearing Sarnia and headed for Port Huron and the trip north through Michigan along Lake Huron's western shore.

[edit on 15-5-2005 by masqua]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Here is a news link for those who maybe interested in what the Water Walkers are about

Anishinabek Water Walkers

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Thanks, kenshiro...I googled, but found nothing on the Water walkers myself.
I appreciate your input.

I live on the Bruce Peninsula very near a large concentration of Ojibwa and the Water walkers passed by my home on Thursday last.

I wish them great success for their commitment.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
No worries,
I am Cherokee, and a concil member which is why I knew of them. I also support what they are setting out to do and wish them well in their journey.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
We definitely need to protect the planet and it's waters as it where we derive our nourishment.

Troy

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   
That is so cool. First I had heard of them. They have my highest respect. May God keep them safe as their journey will be a long one.

I have a great idea..for all those within the path of their travels light a candle and say a prayer..let them know for those of us that cannot be with them during this long tiresome journey, that they are in our prayers. Say keep the candle burning untill bedtime. Maybe a lantern on the porch,something that will let them know we care.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
It took me a bit of googling at work, but I never got caught nor was the effort without reward. The website for this group and their timetable finally revealed itself to me...

www.motherearthwaterwalk.com...

thanks for your interest and wellwishing, Troy and ktr...

masqua

[edit on 16-5-2005 by masqua]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
May their actions get the attention it deserves.I hope others can see that this is to find balance in ourselves so our mother earth won't have to balance us out.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Amazing....they've been doing this for years, and this is the first I've heard of them.
I live within two miles of Lake St. Clair and you'd think this would have made the news

I did a little more searching and came up with this:

The Journey averaged between 50 and 90 miles per day. Participants carried a staff over the miles by walking, running, or cycling. Participant numbers would wane and grow. At one point there were only four to five and at other times, up to 40 participants.

Stopping at each of the major seven stopping places cited in the migration story, the Journey carried a message of concern for the well being of Mother Earth and especially for Earth’s water.

www.glifwc.org...

More here:
www.glifwc.org...
www.yvwiiusdinvnohii.net...

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
What a shame no one seems to be listening to their message. I pray that their persistence pays off and the government start to take notice.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Thanks for the extra links, DontTreadOnMe...sheesh...we're almost neighbours across the pond... I'm sure you know where the Bruce is because I know the St Clair.

*waves*

I'm trying my level best to make this known about...it is that deserving, menguard and underecoverchef. BTW...what's a good recipe for Lake Trout?

[edit on 17-5-2005 by masqua]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Thanks, sauron, for this link...

www.the7thfire.com...

...it delves a bit deeper into the purpose of the Water Walkers by virtue of a prophecy. There is quite a bit to learn about the 7th generation and this lays out a bit of it that which is relevant to what these walkers are all about.

You'll notice there are many spellings for Ojibwe words and names...don't let that throw you off...it's just that as europeans we still haven't got anything settled as yet (or just didn't care to get it down pat).

not whining though...if it sounds right, it works just fine

[edit on 18-5-2005 by masqua]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I'd heard of this before earlier this year when I was speaking to a group of people from Grassy Narrows (Asubpeeschoseewagong), and was fascinated. Their commitment to this cause is amazing, and I can only hope more people hear about it. A few days ago my they passed through my reserve on the shores of Lake Huron, and will make a point of contacting my Great Aunt (she's a tribal elder and council member) to see what happened that day.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Masqua, regarding your last post and the prophecy, that also has relevence to Grassy Narrows (Asubpeeschoseewagong). Specifically, the waters that run through their grounds were severely poisoned with mercury due to smeltering up river and the fish are unconsumable by all standards due to the massive concentrations found.
Here's an old CBC special covering the poisoning:
Mercury Rising: The Posoning of Grassy Narrows

They're also undergoing a blockade to try and protect their lands from clearcutting. The aim is to clear cut their traditional trapping trails, destroying all habitat and food sources once present there. They were to light seven fires several weeks back symbolically representing the fullfilment of the prophecy, during their standoff with the outside world trying to further rape and pillage their reserve.

I wish them luck and give support in their quest.

Friends of Grassy Narrows

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

here is the real start of the seventh fire. check it out: www.youtube.com...

top topics

join