It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DoD Websites can 'attack' your computer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I just came across this on a US Airforce Website and thought it was a little strange. If you look at their website you're consenting to them making an active attack on your computer, for 'monitoring' purposes...?

www.aviano.af.mil...
This is a Department of Defense computer system. This computer system, including all related equipment, networks and network devices (specifically including Internet access), are provided only for authorized U.S. Government use. DoD computer systems may be monitored for all lawful purposes, including to ensure that their use is authorized, for management of the system, to facilitate protection against unauthorized access, and to verify security procedures, survivability and operational security. Monitoring includes active attacks by authorized DoD entities to test or verify the security of this system. During monitoring, information may be examined, recorded, copied and used for authorized purposes. All information, including personal information, placed on or sent over this system may be monitored. Use of this DoD computer system, authorized or unauthorized, constitutes consent to monitoring of this system. Unauthorized use may subject you to criminal prosecution. Evidence of unauthorized use collected during monitoring may be used for administrative, criminal or other adverse action. Use of this system constitutes consent to monitoring for these purposes. IF YOU DO NOT CONSENT, DO NOT USE THIS SYSTEM.

Anybody come across this before?

[edit on 5/14/2005 by mythatsabigprobe]

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Badly worded, but basically, it is not saying your system will be attacked. The system as well as any system that has the capability of logging into the network and links like the outlook webmail, can be monitored (attacked).

You would have to have a key to access the secure portions of their website, once there and logged into the site, then yes, you are apted to be monitored.
Just viewing the public portions of their site, will not cause the attack but your Ip etc will be logged.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
I just came across this on a US Airforce Website and thought it was a little strange. If you look at their website you're consenting to them making an active attack on your computer, for 'monitoring' purposes...?

Anybody come across this before?
Yes, several months ago. I posted my findings in here to a lukewarm reception. I had been traversing the central command site, and on reboot, just watched as the transfer files reached incredible numbers, and I did not even touch the mouse.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
As noted above, poorly worded. Simplify it a little, it makes sense...

This is a Department of Defense computer system....

DoD computer systems may be monitored for all lawful purposes, including to ensure that their use is authorized, for management of the system, to facilitate protection against unauthorized access, and to verify security procedures, survivability and operational security.

Monitoring includes active attacks by authorized DoD entities to test or verify the security of THIS system....

DOD does hack attacks against DOD systems, to see that the system administrator is on the ball. If you can legally log in, they can read your email, see what you keep on their servers, et cetera.

Same thing any wise employer does, for the same reason

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Its the basic run of the mill security disclosure. In the military, everything has a privacy waiver attached to it, and computers are no different.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I send many emails and FOIA requests to the government about UFOs and aliens. And I've had to fix my computer a lot lately, like 50 pop ups will come up at a time and freeze my computer. I wouldn't doubt it.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
meshuggah1324,
Run an up to date antivirus program on your system.
Run an Antispyware program on the system
Make sure that your security updates are up to snuff.
What you are discribing is classic adware/ worm activity.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
It is not the policy of the DOD to attack your computer. You need some up to date utilities.

And sending them FOIA requests for alien proof is just laughable, since they will never hand a single sentence over.

join