It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forum Posting Pariah

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2024 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Are we all pariahs? Us, people who post in a forum.

I went grocery shopping this last Monday.
The cashier was quite friendly, she even was taking items out of the cart and putting them on the belt. Quite unusual!

Then she asked me how my day had been going so far.

So I replied: "Oh, pretty good so far, I'll probably just be posting on a forum the rest of the day."

The wall went up. The temperature dropped a few degrees (metaphorically speaking). Big mistake it seems.

Do we all have such a bad reputation? Must we keep our terrible past time secret? Should we feel shame?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think I won't be mentioning it to people in real life.

Note: That actually was the first time I mentioned it to a total stranger.

posted on Oct, 3 2024 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: FullHeathen

Naw you're good. She probably just juggled in her mind whether she should admit her own online activities to you or if that'd be too weird and taboo.

Did she look like she still collects Beanie Babies?

edit on 3-10-2024 by AlroyFarms because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2024 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: FullHeathen
Are we all pariahs? Us, people who post in a forum.

I went grocery shopping this last Monday.
The cashier was quite friendly, she even was taking items out of the cart and putting them on the belt. Quite unusual!

Then she asked me how my day had been going so far.

So I replied: "Oh, pretty good so far, I'll probably just be posting on a forum the rest of the day."

The wall went up. The temperature dropped a few degrees (metaphorically speaking). Big mistake it seems.

Do we all have such a bad reputation? Must we keep our terrible past time secret? Should we feel shame?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think I won't be mentioning it to people in real life.

Note: That actually was the first time I mentioned it to a total stranger.

They may have assumed you were a WEF, WHO or other governmental or 'think tank' contributor.

posted on Oct, 3 2024 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: FullHeathen
Some people see computers as the Devil's work, meaning they are threatened by even the word as it reflects upon their ignorance and inability to allow that others may enjoy or benefit from computers while they recoil in defense. I have a brother like that, but he has no problem having his partner do his "dirty work" of using her laptop to research his interests.

posted on Oct, 3 2024 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Maybe it was simply that she figured you, like most people nowadays, where going to post about every single thing that happened to you that day, including your interaction with her.

So, you know, she shut up, so she didn't "insult" you or give you any ammo.
(not saying you would, but look at some of these stupid people today)

I don't blame her a bit if that was why.
Some people need to get a life, instead of creating one online.

top topics

join