It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netflix documentery : Mr. McMahon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2024 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Anyone seen this? Anyone want to discuss either him or the lasting influence seventy years of professional wrestling entertainment has had on American culture? How has it's evolution been effected by changing mores of the American people and/or how the drive to dominate the entertainment industry has effected the culture it feeds upon.

Mr. McMahon, is the character Vince McMahon has put on as the owner who wallows in the blood and guts surrounding the entire history of TV wrestling. This documentary was made with McMahon's complete permission and involvement along with his wife and his children and a wide variety of those who worked alongside of him for the last fifty years.
edit on 703539102024Sep2024-09-30T10:53:09-05:001020242024 by BingoMcGoof because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2024 @ 11:11 AM
link   
By blood and guts do you mean gymnastics with soap opera acting? As you said yourself it’s a character he plays

Would we find similar or even greater grievances with Paramount,Warner Bros, Universal or Disney? They do the literal exact same thing. Create characters for entertainment.

But to stay on topic yes I believe America is heavily influenced by the media they consume wrestling being part of the diet for some.
Just like people who watch news media regularly have their reality fed by script same influence.

Although I think watching and believing in 100% the theatre of news is just as stupid as believing the theatre of wrestling.

We are what we eat after all, it’s true for all consumption. Your mind is fed just like your gut and what feed it matters. Same with music.

As others have said music is magic….
a reply to: BingoMcGoof

edit on 30-9-2024 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2024 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: BingoMcGoof

What? No Links? 🤣🤣

posted on Sep, 30 2024 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Its gonna be some good # pal!!!!
I am going to start it tonight. Have some friends who have been watching and outside of some of the stock footage shown, not really any new info. If you havent, i would recommend Behind the Bastards episodes they did on Vince. I have a feeling after he dies, we will really get some stories out about him and the weird messed up # he was into

posted on Sep, 30 2024 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Thank you for opening this topic up to the larger question of the relationship of entertainment and culture, and I agree fully . Yes, we cannot understand how our culture, and ourselves are if we do not understand not only what we are being fed, but who it is that is feeding us.

This documentary about McMahon clearly points to the drive of a type of person who is happy to influence specific markets for their own goals, their own fortunes. This is not limited to the wrestling industry nor the entertainment industry alone, and it certainly enters into the political industry as well.

A major question is which is the horse and which is the cart. McMahon would have us believe that all he was doing was giving the public what they wanted, this being the claim of all promoters of any product that has been proven to be detrimental to health in general as well as just mental health, the tobacco industry being a clear example. Yet in the end, that industry has proven that sure'' they were just giving the public what they wanted'' yet behind this was the manipulation of the public that created that ''want''.

posted on Sep, 30 2024 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Links? How about ''Netflix'' Mr.McMahon

posted on Sep, 30 2024 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Steinermath333

As a fan, I have been in and out of watching wrestling for over seventy years. I missed a lot and this doc has filled in a lot of the blanks in that history. Oh, and I just put ''Behind the Bastards on my play list on Spotify. I exercise nearly every day while I listen to music books and podcasts. A quick look at their listing tells me I will be listening to BTB for weeks now. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 30 2024 @ 11:53 AM
link   
VKM's/WWE's biggest scandals will forever be:

-The treatment of women's wrestlers during the Fabulous Moolah years to the Attitude Era.

-The rape allegations of a female 80s referee.
(Vince has OJ "if I did do it" vibes about this topic in this documentary)

-The death and possible cover up of the wife of Jimmy Snuka.

-Violence towards members of the media with the slapping of a news reporter and the headlock of a talk show host.

-The steroid scandal.

-The death of Owen Hart.

-Chris Benoit murder/suicides and CTE.

-Recent Vince McMahon allegations.

This documentary doesn't cover any new territory that your regular wrestling fan wouldn't already know.

VKM is a rich psychopath. He's had female employees strip in front of an audience and bark like a dog. He's had many men kiss his ass on live T.V. He even booked God to lose in a tag team match against him and his son.

At the very beginning of the documentary VKM even teases, "Boy if I could tell you everything!"

There's hours of juicier stories, interviews and even better documentaries out there about the wild world of professional wrestling.

It's crazier than Hollywood. Imagine celebrities but they're gladiators but they go on tour like rockstars, also they're on steroids. Wonder what crazy things could happen?

I'd highly recommend Dark Side of the Ring as a documentary. Cocaine and Cowboy Boots and New Jack are crazy episodes.

posted on Sep, 30 2024 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTophat

That is a good glossary of this documentary. One of the things I found compelling about it was that VKM sat down in a folding chair for his interview and was pretty straight forward about himself and his history. That he was willing to sit there and against allegations, defend much of his actions over the years was interesting how he justifies himself, to himself.

When the derogatory nature of the treatment of women became a minor theme of the programming is when ai turned it off and quit watching. I had no idea just how bad it had become. Ugly ugly stuff .

In that Behind The Bastards that Steinermath mentioned, the episode of McMahon is titled ''Histories Greatest Monster''

edit on 786539122024Sep2024-09-30T12:53:14-05:001220242024 by BingoMcGoof because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2024 @ 12:58 PM
link   
One portion of one episode describes the short period that Donald Trump took part as a celebrity guest and mixed it up with McMahon in the ring. The relationship between the two though vague did result in Mrs.McMahon becoming, for a time, Trump's director of the ''Cabinet of Small Business''

new topics

top topics

join